Greetings! New to this forum..

Rahl Windsong

Last of the Windsong Clan
Just wanted to greet you all, I just stumbled across this forum yesterday though I have been a fan of A Song of Ice and Fire since A Game of Thrones was published years ago.

I am certain Martin's characters truly do live somewhere! There are only a few writers I can truly say that bring heartfelt emotion to me with their words, George RR Martin is one of them.

Sincerely,

Rahl Windsong

welcome! I guss you got hear by the martin site link, I followed the same root some weeks ago. Where are you from wanderer?

(by the way, there is an introduction forum by the communitis sector)

I hail from Canada, about an hours drive north of Vancouver, British Columbia. In the year 2010, if you watch the winter olympics, you will learn a bit about the place I live.

nice to meet, I think there is another girl from canada in here, I am from israel by the way, cot anything is the other conspiracy threads that soot you? or do you have a theory of your own on future developments in the series.

Welcome to the forums:) You'll be in good company as a Martin fan here. What other books do you like?

Well right now I am nearly finished Robin Hobb's, A Fool's Erand and I have to say I actually had tears near the end, even my dog is skulking around with her tail between her legs at the loss I felt from that wonderful story. I have the Golden Fool sitting here on my desk and I will read it next. I also have Kate Elliot's, King's Dragon sitting on the desk and I am really looking forward to it she comes highly recomended from a close friend of mine.

Not in any particular order..

Raymon E Fiest, anything by him I love

Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman, light but fun the later stuff in the
Dragonlance series was the best. The best work of these two in my oppinion was their Guardians of the Lost series.

Greg Bear if I want good hard SciFi

Ben Bova, same reason as Greg Bear

Tad Williams, loved the Memory, Sorrow, Thorn stuff and I think the
Otherland series should be required reading for any of the Massive Mutliplayer Online Game designers.

JRR Tolkien, I like to read the LOTR trilogy at least once a year

L E Modesitt Jr. Especially his work in the Spellsong Cycle I just loved the magic in those stories.

Robert Jordan, though I am really starting to wonder if the last battle will ever come and personally I think that series has gone on way too long I would like to read this author in a new setting.

I am also an avid Massive Multiplayer Online Gamer, the type that you pay a monthly fee to play. The game I am playing currently is World of Warcraft by Blizzard Entertainment, brilliant game. My all time favorite online game would have to be Ultima Online when it was still owned by Origin Systems.

There has to be others but I cant think just now...

So new, you didn't find the Introductions part ? ;)
Well, welcome, surf around. There's more than GRRM discussions on board.

Welcome, Rahl.

I just finished reading the whole Tawny Man trilogy a few months ago. If you think the loss from the first one is good (sad), wait till you read em all. That's all I'm going to say. Hobb really knows how to get at the heart of real relationships.

I also am playing WOW. What server/faction? I'm a 51 paladin on Sargeras. Maybe I'll /dance with you in IF sometime? Or slay ye if ye be undead!

Well I have been in this sort of lifetime, in terms of my online gaming ligetime, guild that we maintain in several different MMOG's. The core of this guild is made of more mature people over the age of 35.

Elements of Avalon: http://elementsofavalon.com/

We orginally started out on Silver Hand, the second night there we got real tired of the Que's so I made the decision to get the entire guild moved to Cenarion Circle. All I can say is I bet the Circle wins the award for the one server that actually works! We are pretty much never down except for tuesday maintenace! <touches wood>

So I lead the guild there for a while I really enjoy leading in the beginning However now I have stepped down as the leader and Aleris has taken over. We are also on Stonemaul as a horde guild same name.

Aye so there we are on Cenarion Circle, My character Elderon a level 55 Night Elf Hunter.

Another MMOG I have been keeping an eye on, which I do believe will be the next step in the evolution of the MMOG, is Ages of Athiria. This game will draw the player to it through story that the players can effect the outcome. It is being designed from the ground up with the devlopers delivering dynamic content and them playing key roles as gods. Player advancement will be skill driven like the original Ultima Online. Wheather effects that actually impact the player.

Ages of Athiria: http://www.agesofathiria.com/

Read the entire FAQ and you will see this game would take the player to that next level of reality in online gaming. Even their justice system allows for the execution of murderers and if you are executed for murder you stay dead, no running from the graveyard back to your corpse. Instead its back to the character selection screen and "create a new character" :eek: Player run cities setting their own laws, its brilliant!:D I really want to be part of this project in their beta!

Rahl

Rahl Windsong said:
Well right now I am nearly finished Robin Hobb's, A Fool's Erand and I have to say I actually had tears near the end, even my dog is skulking around with her tail between her legs at the loss I felt from that wonderful story. I have the Golden Fool sitting here on my desk and I will read it next. I also have Kate Elliot's, King's Dragon sitting on the desk and I am really looking forward to it she comes highly recomended from a close friend of mine.

Rahl,
You've got a few surprises coming with the Robin Hobb books. She's intense but great!

As for Kate Elliot's books, I have them all and I'd recommend them. I just reread them and found that I still liked them a lot, but lately I've made the mistake of comparing other writers to Martin, which just shouldn't be done. Kate Elliot's style is quite different, as are her characters. I hope you enjoy them! (FYI, there is a LOT of religious material in her books that closely parellel Christianity, so if that's not your bag you might not enjoy them as much).

Actually I am enjoying King's Dragon a lot. The one thing that keeps coming to mind, and I suppose its because of the rose, is the movie Name of the Rose with Sean Connery. The religion in each story is similar in some ways and the boy in the story, I forget who played him just now, but the boy had visions like Alain. I plan to go rent that movie after I finish King's Dragon and I am going to the library today to get Prince of Dog's. I actually enjoy reading nearly anything to do with religion though I don't consider myself a religious person. And yikes! I love surprises I can't wait to start Golden Fool, I have it here on my desk :)

Rahl

FYI, the person who played the boy in "The Name of the Rose" was Christian Slater. And we all know you want to watch it again because you think he's dreamy, just admit it. Nothing like a man in monk's robes... :)