Debunking the slow writer tag for GRRM

asdar

I keep reading about how slow George RR Martin is and want to stand up for him a bit. I hope that's ok in this forum.

Mr. Martin wrote 3 books at a spacing of 2 years a book, that's typical, nearly standard time for most writers, Stephen King excluded.

Now, I'll admit that A Feast For Crows took him 5 years but there's a big reason for that. Mr. Martin explained that he initially intended there to be a gap of 5 years in the story line between book 3 and 4. He worked hard and harder to try and make that happen but decided that a five year gap wouldn't work.

Even if you're just a short story writer you know how hard it is to throw ideas away. So he had to go back through and try to match a new timeline to the ideas that he just couldn't bear to part with. I don't envy him his task in that.

We'll know for sure after the second book from now comes out. The next one should be quick because it's almost done now, but the one after that will show his speed from cover to cover.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to stand up for Mr. Martin when a post about how he takes a long time to finish his books sparked my protective side.

Well said, asdar. And another thing to those who complain: could you have done it? Honestly? Because I know that if I tried to tackle anything like his storyline, I would have made a royal mess of it.

Well of course, but when you really love one series, you're gonna be frustrated when the next one takes so long to get released. Especially when all his competitiors have released three or four (or in one case, seven!) books in the meantime;)

I second what Cal said. Those of us who love GRRM's series will wait, but it doesn't mean we have to love waiting now does it? :)

Having said that, I'd rather wait 5 yrs for a great book than 2 for a shoddy knock-off which doesn't advance the story (you know who you are, Jordan!) :D

Well, I think that's the key, WS. George refused to release the book because he felt it wasn't up to scratch. All applause to him for that.

He's only releasing it now because of the length issue, not the time issue.

Having said that, my concern is that he keeps it focussed, which may involve throwing away ideas he's fond of and subplots that are interesting. But I have faith in George to make those judgements. ****, he's the writer, I'm just a reader. ;)

AryaUnderfoot said:
Well said, asdar. And another thing to those who complain: could you have done it? Honestly?
Honestly? Respectfully, I think the question is entirely irrelevant. The "could you have done better?" argument has never been a very good one, and in this case it has little to do with whether Martin is or is not a slow writer.

By the standard of many of today’s top genre authors, he unquestionably is a slow writer. Five years to write the equivalent of two novels, when there are guys routinely turning out similar output in a year, is not quite a glacial pace, but it’s getting there.

Of course, I’d rather get books of the caliber Martin is writing than those of, say, Kevin J. Anderson … so no complaints from me. The pace of releases has not been to my liking, and it’d be a shame if he croaked before this thing is over, but the reading has been of a quality better than most other rubbish on the shelves, so I’m content to wait between books.

Heck, at least after a long wait Martin advances his story. Maybe Robert Jordan ought to give him a call asking for tips.

I'd argue that there are many writers turning even decent stuff out in a single year cover to cover. I think it's much more typical to see a two year development. A lot of first novel writers will have a whole series done so that it seems like they're turning it out.

I'm frustrated with a five year wait too, but if you look at his record it's 2-2-2-5, so it's only been one slow book. I expect the next book about this same time next year and then we'll see, I think the one after that will be 2008.

asdar said:
I'm frustrated with a five year wait too, but if you look at his record it's 2-2-2-5, so it's only been one slow book. I expect the next book about this same time next year and then we'll see, I think the one after that will be 2008.

Now why would you go and say something like that, and bring us all down on the eve of Feast? 2008, if we're lucky. And then there will still be the concluding volume. I read the first in 2000, hopefully the finale in 2010 will have a nice roundness....

I have no problem with the timeframe (well, I did, but I got over it), unless the book is a dissappointment. Cause then I'll be, 'I waited five years for this?' And then there's the threat that because I waited five years, it will be a dissappointment, if you get my drift.... But I have faith that it will be great.

Mine's due to arrive tomorrow, so I'll let you know Culhwch... :D

Although the actual series may well be 2010 or so, I'm sure we'll be dripfed Hedge Knight stories.
The horrible moment will arrive a few weeks or months after the last Westeros novel - then I'll be doing my best Edvard Munch impersonation :eek: :)

Well, I had to bring you all down some how.

I've got at least two weeks before I can read AFFC. (just kidding, I don't want to bring anyone down)

The proof is in the reading. If this book isn't top class (and I mean by gurm's standards, not just better than almost everything else around) then he doesn't have a leg to stand on;)

I turly do not mind how slow that GRRM might be going. I picked up the series in 2003, I have not been waiting long for Feast. Considreing Dance is half way done (hopefully). I personally like to think, quality not quantity people.

Ultimately, I think life is better as an optimist... maybe.

He should have completed the book series before that ever was a tv show.