Authors of juvenile literature may be well-known, they are not always respected

orionsixwings

Demosthenes
I came across this article today and I must say I'm a bit hurt because I intend to write a story with that target market in mind.

Although it is mostly about Harry Potter, it still affects all those who write YA literature so I thought it's relevant in this forum rather in Rowlings.

--- SOURCE: NEW PALTZ ORACLE

orionsixwings, if you're planning to write SF/Fantasy you can pretty much expect to be dismissed by most academics anyway -- writing for juveniles could hardly make it worse.

Besides, if you are writing for children, that isn't the goal is it -- becoming the subject of scholarly articles and university courses? Surely it's about reaching out to the children -- entertaining them, enlightening them, stimulating their imaginations -- and possibly the parents, school-teachers, and librarians who might put your book into their hands.

Kelpie said:
orionsixwings, if you're planning to write SF/Fantasy you can pretty much expect to be dismissed by most academics anyway -- writing for juveniles could hardly make it worse.

Besides, if you are writing for children, that isn't the goal is it -- becoming the subject of scholarly articles and university courses? Surely it's about reaching out to the children -- entertaining them, enlightening them, stimulating their imaginations -- and possibly the parents, school-teachers, and librarians who might put your book into their hands.

Yeah, guess you're right. Just got a bit annoyed reading it. It's relevant for all those who write YA anyway, although it's true that writers don't write to be included in the academe, still, it's good to be respected.

I personally think it's a shame if any area of literature isnt respected and I for one think YA material as improved over the last few years.

to be honest i think the reson many youth authors lack repspect is they underestimate their target audience and write inane drivel... such as J K Rowlings Harry Potter books. and J K Rowling is on the a- level syllabus..where i think this is right or not...theres not a much higher intellectual accolade for youth writers than this.
x

i think the problem is that some people still believe in old fashioned ideas. they underestimate the actual readers. i mean, kids will know better what kids would like, right? iyou can make a fair guess on what they will like going by what they buy alrady BUT until you offer them something new, you cannot just decide they won't like that thing.

its somewhat of a rant of mine generally, i have to say. the idea that only certain types of fantasy is commerical, that readers will only buy certain types of things. how do we know unless we offer it to them? ok no one wants to take a chance when money is invovled, and publishing is pricey, but it does annoy me when peole say things like, girls won't buy potter, and it won't sell across the sea, because you cannot say that until you try it. you can say, well books LIKE that haven't sold to girls or across the sea, but you cannot ever be sure what something will do until you try

so basically, i hav eno idea what im saying :) just something like, i think its annoying when people make assumptions on how something will do based on past experiences. times change.

and as others have said, people dont' tend to respect books for kids generally speaking. nor fantasy. people still have the idea that fantasy is a boys club, full of greasy haired roleplaying geeks, and that women prefer romance (vomit) and so on. people say the same about pc games, and we still ahve the idea that romance films are 'chick flicks.' people have their ideas aboiut things and they don't tend to like to change it. i think if people read fantasy like martin, they would see that it can be complex and literary and as good as any literary book. and i am sure the same can be said for some ya books. tho as i don't read that, i can't actually say for sure

i do know that a lot of adults like potter as much as ya, so they have to see something in it that transends the age it was set for. and that has to say something

just because lots of people read a book doesn't make it good....

think how many people must have brought the crazy frog song....doesn't make it good :D

Back