An escape for Melkor?

Raynor

We know that Sauron was far less potent than Melkor but he still managed to reincarnate himself twice. True enough, Melkor became "incarnate" and fearful of losing his body. However, at the end of the war of wrath, when all his hosts were destroyed, wouldn't it have been better for Melkor to leave his body behind (by whatever means) and simply vanish as a spirit (and later regain a body and continue the fun)? I doubt that any summons/magic of the valar (not to speak of the elves), could have stopped him to flee in such a way.

Melkor was in a weakened state by now - having squandered his Valar powers on destroying the trees of light and putting his malice into his orcs. I think this idea of transfer of power could be likened to Sauron and the Ring - as Sauron's ring was destroyed he was vanquished, as he had poured his essence into it. As Melkor's legions of orcs and demons were destroyed, a lot of his power also disappeared, I suppose leaving him too weak to flee his form.

Or, perhaps he never got the chance - it is written that Tulkas wrestled with him, presumably stopping him leaving. Then he was bound with the chain that had tied him before - he did not escape his physical body that time either, so perhaps we can assume the chain was enchanted in some way to stop this? And then he was cast into the void.

Melkor was a far greater threat than Sauron, the Valar would have chained him up for good .
Sauron was small fry in comparison

speedingslug said:
Melkor was a far greater threat than Sauron, the Valar would have chained him up for good .
Sauron was small fry in comparison

I tend to agree. The Valar had no choice but to get involved with Melkor, he was far too strong for men or elves to handle. But Sauron could be handled without the help of the Valar. Marbh's post also seems to be a good explination.

Back