Publishers of Children's Science Fiction.

AllyBird

I have recently started getting my horror fiction for adults published in America but need to find a children's science fiction publisher for a project I finished last year. The book is 38,500 words in length and is aimed at 9 - 12 year olds. Any suggestions as to which publishing houses my be interested in science fiction? The Writers' and Artists' Yearbook only name a few.
Allyson Bird

I think all the major children's publishers are interested in SF and Fantasy to some degree now, having seen a huge rise in sales in this area in recent years, within the children's market. I'd certainly include Hodder, Random House (including Red Fox and Andersen Press), Macmillan, Orion, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Scholastic and others...

Thanks John - I'll try some of the ones from your list that haven't tried yet.
Regards,
AllyBird.

I was in Waterstones at Trafalgar Square yesterday, and it's amazing to look and the children's and YA shelves and see the level of Fantasy and SF being published. It's down to Potter and Pullman to some degree of course, but there are now a number of others who are selling hugely well for various publishers...

Last edited:
I would really look at TSR. They publish a lot of childrens sci fi, the trend, IMO started with Jane Yolen. Man, I love her. If her books were people, I would smother them in candy coated hugs and kisses. TSR, I believe, was the first to publish Yolen.