New Section

padders

System Lord of ASciFi.com
Welcome to our new section. At the moment there is only one forum but more will be added as the section grows. If you are interested in helping out with this new section/being a moderator this would be greatly appreciated as would any links from appropriate websites.

Thank you and welcome to our new section!

Thank you, padders!!

Doctor Who is the father, mother and extended family of all television science fiction shows.

No-one can beat it for shoddy set design! I love this show [and so does my husband who generally oozes anti-stargate sentiment although I'm slooowly getting him around.. maybe...possibly..hmm, not much at all, really]

I grew up on this show. The BEST AND ONLY Doctor is Tom Baker. My husband thinks Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell were the best. But he's wrong!!!

I've heard that the Brits have got their hands on the show again after that woeful yankee rubbish (the Doctor does not go around kissing, for cryin' out loud. It's just NOT DONE). Although, I must admit that Paul McGann does make a rather yummy, but awfully soppy, Doctor.

And another thing, although the universe may have lots and lots of trees and be wonderfully green, an awful lot of it also looks like a disused quarry!!

And Before anyone can say it:

Imagine a Dalek confronted by a staircase. It thinks "Damn! There goes our plan for universal domination!!!".
Gotta love those guys!

Padders, what's involved in moderating?

Cat a mixture of :

1) Encouraging discussions - emphasis on starting new threads.
2) Deleting inappropriate posts (very rare)
3) Moving threads to more appropriate forums
4) Trying to answer people's questions, if you don't know and no one else seems to perhaps looking it up.
5) Keep me and mything on out toes by pointing out problems etc.
6) Keeping everybody happy in the forums as much as possible. Defusing any arguments before they happen etc.
7) Have fun.

We are going to have a little hold on moderators for now and wait until the next version of the software is installed before we add any more but then we will definitely have some openings along with a full list of duties and responsibilities. We are watching though to see who would be suitable, basically people who are friendly and helpfull.

Hope that helps

Hellooooooooo!!!!! echo echo echo

Anyone out there? echo echo echo

I'm all alone :(

Sniff. No-one loves us. Me and the jelly babies are going outside!

We may be sometime.

:(

hello there again :)

we are having a hold on new moderators for a while, basically until the new software is in. It is also likely that a new minimum post count is going to be enforced of what i think will be 500 posts. Moderation will also be subject to a vote by the current moderators. I will notify everyone when moderator places open again.

Hope that helps..

Xterminate!

Oh yeah, an absolute classic!
My mum tells me she used to hide behinf the couch when Dr Who was on... I think it's hilarious, and brilliant!
Dalek + stairs = "Xterminate, Xterminate! Oh ****! maybe next door is a bungalow!!"

MARKPUD!!! Bless you, I was starting to get fat eating all the djelibehbi's by myself!

Dalek + stairs = "Damn!!! There go our plans for world domination!!!!!"

You gotta love those guys. I love the way their voices get higher and higher at the the thought of exterminating something. Gosh, they get excited! :D

Hi Cat!

I also love Cybermen.... nice outfits, but no contest with most of the rubber aliens that popped up each week...

My vote would have to be for the Sontarans as the aliens and for Tom Baker as the Doctor. But it must depend on your age. I was brought up on Dr. Who yet I can now barely remember William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton. The Daleks made a big impression, obviously.

Yes, it is dated. But I get reruns of old black and white episodes late at night here, and I can tell you that compared with The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits of a similar age it is much better.

If they are to remake it it will need loads of money, CGI effects, the whole works, otherwise just leave it alone, it has nothing to prove!

just my opinion, but...

i think that the sixth doctor was vastly under appreciated, and that the "trial of a timelord" episodes were particularly good, even though it was the same stunt that they pulled when the second doctor nearly got cancelled way back in the sixties.
Cybermen rule, it's a shame that they never got as scary as the Borg in st-tng even though they are virtually the same thing.
Does anyone read the BBC novels?
cheers

The Sontarans were in my fav all time story "The Invasion of Time" where the Doctor (Tom Baker) gets himself "elected" as President of the High Council of Gallifrey. Just loved that story. Leila was a bit thick though. Like most of the girls. Except she didn't sprain her ankle at the crucial moment like Joe used to do (repeatedly) with Jon Pertwee and she didn't have an appalling mock-Aussie accent like Teagan.

Thought Peter Davison was rather good but no-one beats Tom Baker - the quintissential Doctor.