Ethan Phillips answers fans` questions

stripe

Sovs Favorite Moderator
Voyager`s Neelix talks at StarTrek.com
Author: AntonyF
Date: 2/4/01

Ethan Phillips, while answering fans questions at StarTrek.com, spoke about what he thinks the end of the show will bring Neelix. "They haven`t told us anything whether we`re getting home. We`re all in the dark. I don`t really have anything vested in it, in terms of my character. This isn`t home to him, so as far as Neelix is concerned, whatever happens to him is fine. He`s not dying to get to Earth. His home is Voyager. Maybe, subconsciously, he wishes they didn`t arrive home. Then he could continue to be in his position. But if they were to arrive home, I don`t think he`d make a fuss. He`d be happy for everybody, as he has that generosity of spirit about him.

Ethan also joins a long list of fans, writers and actors in voicing his displeasure with the Kes return episode "Fury". Ethan says, "The return of Kes? I don`t know why it happened. I didn`t understand the show too much as I have trouble with time-travel stuff—I can’t figure it out. It was a little confusing for me"

Originally posted by stripe

Ethan Phillips, while answering fans questions at StarTrek.com, spoke about what he thinks the end of the show will bring Neelix. "They haven`t told us anything whether we`re getting home. We`re all in the dark. I don`t really have anything vested in it, in terms of my character. This isn`t home to him, so as far as Neelix is concerned, whatever happens to him is fine. He`s not dying to get to Earth. His home is Voyager. Maybe, subconsciously, he wishes they didn`t arrive home.

The same can probably be said for Jeri Ryan's character 7 of 9. What does she really have to look forward to on Earth?

little star :)

The same is true for most of the crew.

The Maquis are mainly homocidal misfits, who would never fit into a proper Federation crew again.
We've seen some other 'geeks' below decks, who never expected to sign on for more than the minimum necessary time to get their starfleet experience, and who have now gone a little nutty.
Janeway has broken the Prime Directive so many times that she will be demoted to Ensign.
That only leaves Tuvok and Harry who really miss their families and want to get back home.

david 676 always makes some very valid points!

With several VOY crewmembers indifferent to whether or not VOY ever reaches the alpha quadrant simply because it isn't home to them, and other crewmembers knowing they'd have a lot to answer for, it's a wonder the VOY writers were able to sustain "LET"S GET THIS SHIP HOME" as any kind of theme for the series. They had to use certain episodes to play up: 1. homesickness 2. Janeway's feelings of guilt/responsibility 3. the threat of unfamiliar, hostile delta quadrant aliens.

Actually, what happens to the crewmembers if they ever make it to the alpha quadrant could make for some interesting storylines if the series wasn't about to end!

little star :)

Maybe they should have kept half a dozen episodes, to explore what happens when they get back. It would have been interesting to see Seven 'fitting in', Harry and his Ex., Neelix on Earth, and Naomi Wildman's first visit to Earth.

Not very action packed though. There have been very few episodes set on Earth in the future.