Movie: "Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D." (1966)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (1966)

http://uk.imdb.com/Title?0060278

Directed by Gordon Flemyng.

Writing credits Terry Nation, Milton Subotsky.

Dr. Who and his companions arrive on Earth in the year 2150 AD, only to discover that the planet has been invaded and its population enslaved by the dreaded Daleks. The time travellers assist human resistance groups to foil the Daleks' plan to mine the Earth's core.

Even better than the first film for suspense, settings and general cheesyness. The Geophysics of the Dalek plan is a little way out though.

With
Peter Cushing
Bernard Cribbins
Ray Brooks
Andrew Keir
Roberta Tovey

well i guess it was ok but you must admit there have been episodes a lot better than that film

Re: Better Episodes.

This film wasn't likely to win any Oscars.

It does show what could have been achieved with Dr. Who though. Made in colour while the TV series was still black and white. Better special effects.

Peter Cushing is meant to be William Hartnell's Dr. but just does his own thing. Bernard Cribbins, while still annoying, is much less so than Roy Castle was in "Dr. Who and the Daleks".

As a kids film it's great.

But don't you find episodic serials a little irritating though. I much prefer a film with a beginning, a middle, and an end. I have "Genesis of the Daleks" with Tom Baker on video. I consider it probably the best story, and yet when the episodes are played back to back in that way, you find that most of the story is an endless chase up and down corridors. Other episodes are just the same, always running around in caves and corridors. Other serials are the same - "Flash Gordon" & "Batman" - in Batman it becomes driving backwards and forwards across Gotham City.

There is a big error in this film:

Near the start the Doctor says, "Let me introduce myself.... I am Dr. Who...."

He was never called Doctor Who in the series, the series itself was called Dr. Who, he was always the Doctor, or sometime Jon Pertwee would call himself Mr. Smith.

This is a cheap shot, but if the Invasion is set in 2150 AD, why are all the shops, buildings and streets just like the 1960's. The fashions, vehicles, weapons and machinery is all pre-70's too. The searchlights are left over from the Second World War. According to the advertising, people still eat "Sugar Puffs" and go to the Circus. Even the maps they use are from the 1960's -- the M1 Motorway begins at Watford! And there is no Victoria or Jubilee lines on the London Underground.

My theory is that the Daleks have not invaded London at all, but have mistakenly invaded an Ancient London Theme Park.