Weber, David: The Other Series

Red Queen

Tigger on Sugar Water
The Other Series

As much as I love Honor Harrington, my favorite David Weber books have to be his Fantasy books Oath of Swords and War God's Own about the Bahzell Bahnakson of the Horse Stealer Hradani.

The hradani are one of the five races of man (Man, Dwarf, Elf, Halfling, and Hradani) and are known and feared for their Rage, a curse inflicted on them during the Fall of Kontovar when the White and Black Wizards fought.

The good characters are believable and sympathetic, the bad guys believable and deserving of their fate ;) The story is rich with history, but avoids Weber's tendency to go on and on about minutia that occasionally bogs down his HH stuff ;)

If you have a chance, pick these up and have a good read :cool:

Bahzell is great. In fact I think that series is one of the best fantasy series out there.

I know I have been anxiously waiting for the next book in the series. From what I have heard he is just starting on the next book in Honor Harrington and then will be writing the next book in this series.

For anyone who loves fantasy this series is a must. :D

Can hardly wait till the next one comes out.

Originally posted by Mellian
Bahzell is great. In fact I think that series is one of the best fantasy series out there.

I know! It's almost a shame that the Honor Harrington series is so popular. Most people aren't aware of Bahzell and his...interesting prayer method :wink2:

I would love to get my hands on a copy of the Lay of Bahzell Bloody Hands :D Especially with the actual tune...even if the third verse isn't all that great :wink2:

RQ
Who read half of War God's Own in the bookstore, because I was sooo anxious for more Bahzell! :rolly2:

Originally posted by Red Queen

II would love to get my hands on a copy of the Lay of Bahzell Bloody Hands :D Especially with the actual tune...even if the third verse isn't all that great :wink2:

RQ
Who read half of War God's Own in the bookstore, because I was sooo anxious for more Bahzell! :rolly2:

I too would love to see the Lay of Bahzell Bloody Hands, I wish Weber would put it in sometime.

It sounds like in the next book they will be in the Sothii, do you wonder if maybe Bahzell will end up with a coursier? And I wonder if we will ever find out who Brandark's god is.

I know that when the next one does finally come out I will be lined up and waiting for it.

Originally posted by timdgreat
hey i love the honor harrington series:p:rolly2:

So do I. I think it is a good series. I just prefer Bahzell. Weber is one of my favorite scifi/fantasy authors and I enjoy all his books. Some I just enjoy more than others.
:D

lol, well yeah i just like the Honor book more then his others:p has any one tried the Muitineers moon series? i tried to read it and didnt like it:(

:rolly2:

Should be no more than 4-5 weeks before War Maid's Choice is out, really looking forward to it.

War Maid's Choice is now available at Baen Books. I am in the middle of an S.M. Stirling book but at least now I know what I will be reading next :)

I've never tried his fantasy stuff (unless you count the Safehold books). Whilst I do read some fantasy, it is in tiny amounts compared to SF. So I guess I might tackle them some day.

I've never tried his fantasy stuff (unless you count the Safehold books). Whilst I do read some fantasy, it is in tiny amounts compared to SF. So I guess I might tackle them some day.

There is a bit of magic in these, and interactions with gods as I recall but much of what I enjoy about them is the battling between groups and within groups which is handled in Weber's typical style with bigger than life heros and good action.

Well War Maid's Choice was all I hoped it would be but I kind of wish I had gone back and reread the other books first. It is a big world and there is a lot going on so it would have been good to refresh myself. Still a fun read though.

I have yet to read Oath of Swords, because, quite frankly, the cover looks ridiculous. Now, I know you're supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I can't help it. I initially didn't even read the HH books because of the ridiculous covers. Can't baen afford real artists?

I have yet to read Oath of Swords, because, quite frankly, the cover looks ridiculous. Now, I know you're supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I can't help it. I initially didn't even read the HH books because of the ridiculous covers. Can't baen afford real artists?

If you enjoy a little magic, rousing battles, a larger than life hero or two do not let the covers put you off any longer. It is certainly great escapist fun.