Spike's chip may become real

obcooke

OB-Wan
I just saw a science program that says doctors have discovered the portion of the brain that formulates our physical actions moments before we do them.

They have found that this region of the brain is still active even in patients that are totally paralyzed. They hope to one day come up with a chip that can interpret the brain's intended actions, such as "grab cup" and send the commands to a mechanical arm or similiar device.

Admittedly thats a long way off, but how long after they figure out how to interpret the brain's intentions and make them happen will it take to interpreting the brain's intentions and PREVENTING them from happening?

One day we may have lots of fluffy puppies running around with chips implanted to keep them from doing bad things.

Yikes!!!

SPIKE: Oh, so, it’s chips all around, is it? Someone must’ve bought the party-pack.

interesting... this would of course be very useful to people with paralysis, but I could also see it being used to control sociopaths and such like, much in the same way it controls Spike...

Just another example of science fact following science fiction...

Sounds like 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' type labotamy (excuse the spelling, I'm a bit hungover). Creepy.

I think that it's a really interesting theory and could come to use some day hopefully in the near future to help people. It is definately worth the research.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Snowdog Buffy 4
markpud Buffy 0
V Buffy 43
A Buffy 11
V Buffy 9