New Doctor - TOM BAKER???

AVON

Found this interesting little gem in a recent issue of the:

STAGE Newspaper, dated 2nd October, 2003.

Baker throws his hat into Doctor ring

Former Doctor Who Tom Baker has said he would return to the role when the show is remade by BBC1 - but believes executives would hinder his chances.
Baker, who turns 70 this year, played the fourth doctor between 1974 and 1981. He said: "I would certainly do it again but I don't think the people at the BBC would offer it to me because they would think I am too old."
IOt was announced last week that Russell T Davies, writer of Queer as Folk and Bob and Rose, will be writing the new series of Doctor Who. BBC Wales will produce the TV comeback with head of drama Julie Gardener as executive producer.
Hotly tipped to take the role is Alan Davies, with Richard E Grant and James Nesbitt also mooted.

Well now, that makes life interesting, doesn't it??? Much as we like "TOM" - he's our second favourite "DOCTOR", after "JON PERTWEE" - as "TOM" said, doubt the Beeb would offer it to him and, if he came back his performance would always be compared with how he did the role during his previous tenure - it just wouldn't work! :rolly2:

I doubt he would get the part even if he seriously wanted it. I posted another quote from him in the Who should be the next Doctor? thread.

He said that he would rather be the Master. Tom Baker is never very serious when he says things. He's curently doing that 'Fort Boyard' programme now that Dirty Den has returned to 'Eastenders'. He said that Melinda Messenger would be a good Assistant because she can scream and has big bosums, and that Eddie Izzard should be Dr Who.