Did anyone watch the Doctor Who nostalgia prog?

Tabitha

Save Angel!
A few days ago on BBC2? Very well made I thought, with all of the living Doctors interviewed, and a good selection of their sidekicks.

Brought back lots of fond memories - but interesting that they just glossed over (i.e. ignored) the Paul McGann version and the various recent spoofs.

I am a bit sick of all the holiday season top one hundreds, best-ofs, worst-ofs and all the nostalgia programming, but once in a while something interesting comes out of it all.

Welcome back, Tab :wave:

Caught enough to decide they all had a jolly good time doing it, even if some of the explosions were a tad close for Sylvester McCoy's comfort :)

I think the spoofs are ignored because in the main there were other reasons for them (Red Nose, Children in Need etc). They didn't entirely ignore the film though, admitting the film had been made. But everybody in fandom are quietly forgetting it too, so why shouldn't the Beeb?

Originally posted by ray gower
Welcome back, Tab :wave:

Caught enough to decide they all had a jolly good time doing it, even if some of the explosions were a tad close for Sylvester McCoy's comfort :)
That was hilarious! I was sure that he had some injury to his rear after that, I couldn't believe that he didn't seem to react at all - talk about as cool as a cucumber.

I was impressed that all the people reminiscing were all involved with the show in some way - rather than c-grade British celebrities who could only recall how awful they thought it was. I think Tom Baker really stood out as being the best Doctor, I had totally forgotten about his jelly baby thing.

Think most of the C grade celebs only managed to become B grade celebs because they appeared on Doctor Who. Being the Doctor certainly gave Sylvester McCoy street cred with his kids

Originally posted by ray gower
Think most of the C grade celebs only managed to become B grade celebs because they appeared on Doctor Who.
Yeah there were quite a few surprising faces in the montage of guest stars.

I don't think I have ever seen the very early episodes of Doctor Who - the old black and white episodes looked like they were pretty great, I wonder how they have held up over the years?

*Rose tinted specs on*

Remembering they were children's shows. They were dark, broody and invested with strong stories. The destruction of the church in the first episode came as something of a shock and ranked high with the Daleks as reason to hide behind the settee.

Less rosey:
The sidekicks (especially Jamie) could be even more wooden than the later ones.
Black and White film always tends towards being broody anyhow The old 240 line VHF TV standard hid a lot of naff wobbly scenery.

Overall they were well up with later renditions. Every bit as imaginative.

I only started watching this because my Dad was watching it, but after the first 10 minutes i was hooked!
I just wish i'd been old enough to watch the programme when it was on TV. My favourite bit was, "Drop your weapons, or i'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby!" - i was in absolute hysterics!!! :laugh2:

Originally posted by little smaug
"Drop your weapons, or i'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby!" - i was in absolute hysterics!!! :laugh2:
Yeah - I was highly amused by that too.

I thought the bits with Jon Pertwee and his favourite piece of dialogue (something about reversing the polarity of the neutron flow?) were pretty funny too.

There's a site here with some clips from the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2003/12/19/8604.shtml

I missed this and no one in my family bothered to video it for me. My son watched it (and he is now a fan) but there was too much talking in it for him. Now it sounds like I missed something special.

As regards the old episodes: they were also filmed live (as all TV at the time was) so full of mistakes and fluffed lines. They were never meant to be repeated.

I saw most of the UK Gold 40th Anniversary weekend programmes. They showed the William Hartnell story 'The Meddling Monk' which was voted as the top (non-Dalek) Hartnell story. It was very slow, made very cheaply and pretty rotten really. But as a kid I was glued to Dr Who on a Saturday teatime.

I don't think it is possible to compare them to anything today.

I usually don't have too much trouble suspending disbelief when it comes to old telly and movies - if there is a good story hiding in amongst the bad effects and uncomfortable dialogue I can usually deal with it.

I was quite impressed by how good the programme was at not making fun of Doctor Who - there was discussion of the rubbish bits, but there seemed to be a genuine affection for the show, warts and all. I was glad the tone wasn't as derisive as these nostalgia programmes so often are.

I am going to have to keep an eye out for reruns, and try to get in at the beginning of an arc - I find it difficult to jump into an episode of Dr Who in the middle, I never have any idea what's going on.

Did anyone notice the clips of the liquorice allsorts creature? What on earth were they thinking when they came up with that one?

Originally posted by Tabitha
Did anyone notice the clips of the liquorice allsorts creature? What on earth were they thinking when they came up with that one?
That was regarded as one of the best Doctor Who adventures!

I didn't look at Bertie Bassett quite the same way for a while afterwards. :D

They managed to use Michelin Man in a story too!