Daleks may return....

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
My personal opinion: Dr Who is not Dr Who without the Daleks

This was also reported at Scifi Wire and TV Plus but I couldn't access the web pages (probably due to the massive number of hits by Dr Who fans)

from Ananova
Daleks to return to Dr Who?

The Daleks are set to make their return to the new Dr Who TV series after all.

Fans feared a legal wrangle between the BBC and the estate of the late sci-fi writer Terry Nation would scupper the Daleks' return.

Nation created the Daleks and owned the copyright but writer Russell T Davies told TV Plus: "The negotiations are going well and I expect a positive result.

"The estate is protecting an important property, after all, and I can appreciate why they are being so careful. I'd like to think my estate will be equally well-protected after I go."

An announcement on which actors will play the Doctor and his female sidekick is expected next week.

And it's possible the Timelord may well develop a healthy interest in the physical side of life.

Davies said: "Don't assume that the Doctor can never have sex. I'm not saying anything and you will have to wait and see how he develops. But he can always change. We shouldn't assume the character cannot change in some ways."

The negotiations were unsuccessful.

From BBC

Doctor to face new enemy in the new series.

Christopher Eccleston's Doctor will face a new, deadly foe in the new series, after talks between Terry Nation's estate and the BBC over the rights to the Daleks broke down earlier this week.

The BBC said, "After lengthy negotiations, the BBC and the Terry Nation Estate have been unable to reach agreement on terms for the use of the Daleks in the new series of Doctor Who. These rights are jointly held, and the terms need to be mutually agreed between us.

"The BBC offered the very best deal possible but ultimately we were not able to give the level of editorial influence that the Terry Nation Estate wished to have."

Speaking about the loss, executive producer and chief writer Russell T Davis said, "We're disappointed the Daleks won't be included but we have a number of new and exciting monsters.

"And I can confirm we have created a new enemy for the Doctor which will keep viewers on the edge of their seats."

The Daleks were not available for comment.

AP reports that the BBC has announced that DALEKS ARE IN THE MIX!

Looking up more details...

There was an announcement on Wednesday last week. I saw this in 'The Times' on Thursday 5th Aug under the headline "The Daleks will not be exterminated" --

Mal Young, BBC Controller of Continuing Drama Series, said "As well as coming face-to-face with a number of new and exciting monsters, it's good news that the Doctor will do battle with his arch enemy in a series that promises to surprise and entertain a new generation."

I knew the BBC was a top-heavy organisation, but "Controller of Continuing Drama Series"!!

Antony Wainer of the Dr Who Appreciation Society said that his fan club was delighted -- "Not having the Daleks is like not having strawberries and cream at Wimbledon. They are absolutely synonymous; you can't have one without the other."

Tim Hancock, agent for the Terry Nation estate, said he was delighted that he had been able to reach agreement with the BBC for the return of the Daleks. "In their rush to get things started, the BBC forgot that the estate owns half the copyright for the Daleks. They wanted to control everything but hadn't thought it through properly."

Somehow that last comment seems unlikely. How could the BBC have been able to forget that the estate owns half the copyright since it has been in extended contractual negotiations about the rights to broadcast existing old episodes for over a year now?

The BBC arts programme Front Row has announced a competition to find a new catch phrase for the Daleks.

Apparently somebody has decided 'We are the Daleks. Exterminate' no longer sounds threatening to kids.

Personally, I never thought the words were threatening. It was the way it was delivered that made the impact.

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/index.shtml

Originally posted by ray gower
Apparently somebody has decided 'We are the Daleks. Exterminate' no longer sounds threatening to kids.

Well, they actually say that it is considered too 'cheesy' to frighten modern children.

I'm not sure, it is 'cheesy' but my son loves the Daleks anyway. He has dug out all my old videos, bought some new DVDs and watches 'Dr Who' on UK Gold weekend mornings. So it certainly doesn't bother him, though he probably isn't frightened by them. I'm not sure that I was really frightened by them.

I agree with you about the 'delivery' though. The Daleks always came along with some evil human guys who had turned against the rest of the human race, or else some brainwashed Robo-men.

Terry Nation's work often had a totalitarian/ authoritarian theme. Just look at his 'Doctor Who', 'Blakes 7' and 'Avengers' work. The villians are all portrayed as jack-booted neo-Nazis. The Federation in 'Blakes 7' are total fascists. Davros and the Kaled military in 'Genesis of the Daleks' are at the far extreme right-wing. How much more threatening do they want? Kids won't sleep at night!

Also -- We are the Borg! You will be assimilated! is good enough for 'Star Trek' kids.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Robert Zwilling Technology 0
M. Robert Gibson Doctor Who 0
Le Panda du Mal Doctor Who 0
P Doctor Who 1
Brian G Turner Doctor Who 1