Short Story Excerpt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltheart

Bitter Giant
I need a critique for a beginning excerpt of a short story. I'm not worried about grammer, but mainly the flow of the story. Does it flow well? Is it too descriptive, or just enough? Any comments would be helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The desert sun is potent, and at the time we were suffering from the worst draught in centuries. Never since the first days of our people’s exile from the rest of the continent had we ever been assailed by Sunder or his servants, for it was under his wishes and those of the Unenlightened, as said in the book of our faith, that we left our homes and became nomads. Everyone around us was dieing or turning mad in despair, and our water supply was inadequate to nourish us all.

Chief Karkhow and his family’s bodies were one day found hacked apart, and nobody knew who had done it. But it still was a savage thing to do, and after the discovery that the last few pots of rations had been stolen from his household, our people, distrusting each other, divided into tribes and a great war had been declared by each for control over the well, which had but a few liters of water left. Our temple grounds became the cause of bloodbaths and our faith a distant memory from the past, present only in a distant, futile dream, unapproachable and unrealizable.

For several weeks this war lasted, and no victor had held any of the forbidden treasure long enough to take even the slightest of sips before being hewed from all directions by the other families. Before long, many siblings were fatherless and many parents childish, but that only made the survivors thirst for vengeance. Some had hired the mercenaries from beyond our realm to fight alongside them. These barbarians were ruthless and merciless and well equipped with arms and insatiable bloodlust that none of our people could hope to match, and they slashed their way through many families like gardeners through wild jungles, leaving behind them several trails of bloody corpses. Once their hirers’ thirst had been quenched, and the horror at murder had set in, and they paid the men and bid them to quickly leave in terror, the mercenaries simply pillaged their masters’ households and fled back to the wild lands from whence they came. This is how many a kin were lost to our people.

This is also how my brother had died after he set out from the cave in which we hid, and sought revenge for mother. Father told us all this in his illness as he lied in his deathbed, croaking for the relief of death; for when our people are ill our powers multiply. Father had to gift of far sight: he could see anything in the past, present or future, and distance became irrelevant as his body withered and his spirit trickled through freely through the old flesh. He was the last one with this gift, and the first to have seen the war to come, and had warned the people about the drought. But nobody listened, and so he traveled back and forth and prepared for us, his family, as well as any else who would come, the refuge that he stocked with bountiful ration and water before the draught had dried the wells and strangled the crops.

“Your brother is dead,” he told us simply that day, staring at the ceiling of the cavern. Though he made himself blind, visions of endless slaughter still haunted him, and had driven him to the point where emotions had no visible effect anymore. “He went in to claim vengeance, and now his corpse is burning inside our house. The mercenaries are in their homes and celebrating there newfound wealth, and the people who suffered because of his choices are hiring mercenaries too. They will share the same fate.” Then he was silent. “I wish to die, child. Will you please help your father?”

Sister screamed and ran out of the bedroom, and I said, “Father! Hush! Do not speak this way! It is not the way of our people! I will not help you commit this sin!” and he simply bid me to leave and mourn with my sister over the loss of brother, and to tell the others to equally divide his share for he wasn’t going to return.

After we all lit candles for him and chanted prayers and wept, sister said, “Brother is dead, mother is dead, and soon father will die too. We children will be all alone. We will die without them. It is best to just go and fight, and die.”

The other orphans saw truth in this, and cried and shrieked in fury. But I, the oldest, enraged, said, “We shall never fight, no matter what!” and I explained to them what I saw so clearly: that slaying others only leads to hatred, which in turn manifests through its deeds back to more slaying. I explained how fighting will not solve things, how fighting will only bring more misery to this war, and tried to explain to them how brother’s deeds were in vain; but they did not understand, and in anger yelled and evaded me. I could not follow them, for I had lost one of my legs during childhood.

I need a critique for a beginning excerpt of a short story. I'm not worried about grammer, but mainly the flow of the story. Does it flow well? Is it too descriptive, or just enough? Any comments would be helpful.
I fear grammar , word choice and punctuation are about all I'm good for; still, getting those right helps to read and judge the other characteristics of the story

The desert sun is potent, and at the time we were suffering from the worst draught
drought, unless the beer was bad
in centuries. Never since the first days of our people’s exile from the rest of the continent had we ever been assailed by Sunder or his servants, for it was under his wishes and those of the Unenlightened, as said in the book of our faith, that we left our homes and became nomads. Everyone around us was dieing
dying
or turning mad in despair, and our water supply was inadequate to nourish us all.

Chief Karkhow and his family’s bodies were one day found hacked apart, and nobody knew who had done it. But it still was a savage thing to do, and after the discovery that the last few pots of rations had been stolen from his household, our people, distrusting each other, divided into tribes and a great war had been declared by each for control over the well, which had but a few liters of water left. Our temple grounds became the cause of bloodbaths and our faith a distant memory from the past, present only in a distant, futile dream, unapproachable and unrealizable.
two "distant"s and memories are generally from the past
For several weeks this war lasted, and no victor had held any of the forbidden treasure long enough to take even the slightest of sips before being hewed from all directions by the other families.
If the characters are human, thre is no way they could war (or even survive) for "several weeks" without the slightest sip of water; or, for that matter that "but a few litres" would sustain any society that could break up into families, let alone "tribes" that long
Before long, many siblings were fatherless and many parents childish,
childish or childless?
but that only made the survivors thirst for vengeance.
perhaps another metaphor than "thirst"?
Some had hired the
no "the
mercenaries from beyond our realm to fight alongside them. These barbarians were ruthless and merciless and well equipped with arms and insatiable bloodlust that none of our people could hope to match, and they slashed their way through many families like gardeners through wild jungles,
pedantic, but it's rarely gardners who take their machetes to hew their paths down to the compost heap: more explorers orslash and burn peasants
leaving behind them several trails of bloody corpses. Once their hirers’ thirst had been quenched, and the horror at murder had set in, and they paid the men and bid them to quickly leave in terror, the mercenaries simply pillaged their masters’ households and fled back to the wild lands from whence they came.
I don't like this sentence, for several reasons. First the horror "setting in" doesn't feel right, then "quickly leave in terror" (we bid you be terrified?) then the basic problem, that if someone can pay to have mercenaries (presumably with their own supply of water) come in, without ensuring control of the water supply, they could have traded for water. Finally, why would the barbarians flee, since it's obvious that, for some reason, the locals can't stand up to them; more reasonable to keep pillaging as long as you've got something to drink.
This is how many a kin were lost to our people.
"many a kin" doesn't work for me;
This is also how my brother had died after he set out from the cave in which we hid, and sought revenge for mother. Father told us all this in his illness as he lied
lay?
in his deathbed, croaking for the relief of death; for when our people are ill our powers multiply. Father had to gift of far sight: he could see anything in the past, present or future, and distance became irrelevant as his body withered and his spirit trickled through freely through
eliminate one of the "through"s
the old flesh. He was the last one with this gift, and the first to have seen the war to come, and had warned the people about the drought. But nobody listened, and so he traveled back and forth and prepared for us, his family, as well as any
anyone?
else who would come, the refuge that he stocked with bountiful ration and water before the draught
drought; andare those rations really "bountiful" or are they "plentiful? And if they were stocked up (though what technology a nomad tribe would have for stocking enough water for any tenth of time, even in a cave, is far from clear) how did mother get killed and start off the vengeance cycle?
had dried the wells and strangled the crops.

“Your brother is dead,” he told us simply that day, staring at the ceiling of the cavern. Though he made himself blind, visions of endless slaughter still haunted him, and had driven him to the point where emotions had no visible effect anymore. “He went in to claim vengeance, and now his corpse is burning inside our house. The mercenaries are in their homes and celebrating there
their
newfound wealth, and the people who suffered because of his
who is the "he" who made the choices? The brother?
choices are hiring mercenaries too. They will share the same fate.” Then he was silent. “I wish to die, child. Will you please help your father?”

Sister screamed and ran out of the bedroom, and I said, “Father! Hush! Do not speak this way! It is not the way of our people! I will not help you commit this sin!” and he simply bid me to leave and mourn with my sister over the loss of brother, and to tell the others to equally divide his share
comma
for he wasn’t going to return.

After we all lit candles for him and chanted prayers and wept, sister said, “Brother is dead, mother is dead, and soon father will die too. We children will be all alone. We will die without them. It is best to just go and fight, and die.”

The other orphans saw truth in this, and cried and shrieked in fury. But I, the oldest, enraged, said, “We shall never fight, no matter what!” and I explained to them what I saw so clearly: that slaying others only leads to hatred, which in turn manifests through its deeds back to more slaying. I explained how fighting will not solve things, how fighting will only bring more misery to this war, and tried to explain to them how brother’s deeds were in vain; but they did not understand, and in anger yelled and evaded me. I could not follow them, for I had lost one of my legs during childhood.

For me (and not nescessarily anyone else) I find there's a bit too much detail, and not quite of the big picture. Is the first paragraph about the exile important? It seems to have no relationship to the rest of the story, though it might be critical to the whole thing. And, just out of interest, are these people pedestrian nomads? (not impossible, most of the middle eastern aramaic tribes were like that, sheep and goad herders) It's just that nomads can't farm, and there is no mention of herds, and the desert doesn't lend itself to hunter gatherers (OK, Bushmen and australian aborigines: but neither had significant riches, to hire outside mercenaries) I can't feel the original, pre-crisis society, nor the tribal (or extended family) structure; the viewpoints of both the narrator and his family are too modern.

I agree with Chris, there is too much minute detail. Think of it like a movie where you pan out and pan in, see the scene in your head and rough sketch it. Use more color, more action. When I read the beginning of a story, I want to learn something or question something. This rather reads like a history essay. Make it bite my head off.

Um, thats all the advice I have. I rather like the setting and story so far, and would like tosee more, just feel like it needs more strength and power and scene.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.