A question for the more experienced

Off-worlder

Watching from orbit
Just how tolerant are editors?

I know it must vary greatly from person to person, but on the whole are they more likely to accept a brilliant story, poorly presented by an inexperienced writer and work with it, or a poor > medicore story that is fantastically presented by a more experienced writer and a lot less work for themselves?

Is there an element of laziness here? Do they look for the quick win?

Any info is appreciated.

It's not laziness; they simply don't have time to work that intensively with new writers. Nor the time to work with someone who may or may not improve enough, under their guidance, to make it worth their while.

As an aspiring writer, it's never a good idea to expect other people (like editors or agents) to do your work for you; work, improve, polish, revise (then do it all again) until the writing you submit is the very best that you can possibly make it. The laziness question goes both ways, you know.

Forgive me, I did not mean to imply that editors are lazy, I basically wanted to know how tolerant they are of new comers and the mistakes they make. Will editors be willing to work with an excellent book from a new author, that is as well edited as the new author can manage, but possibly well below te standards required to be published, or would they rather go for the much more polished work with less of an interesting story?

The novel I have completed is as well edited as I can manage. All the critiques I have received say the story is very good, and the only true negative one, from a self admitted hater of scifi, said 'Wow! You can really feel for the characters. However, I still feel that my editing and grammar skills rate poorly, especially when compared to many, many of the people on these fourms. My editing skills are obvious when you read my posts. I have alienated my supply of critiquers(?) with my requests for re-reads and comments, and am in no financial state to afford the many, many hundreds of pounds (in some cases thousands) required to have my manuscript professionally looked at and polished.

This leaves me in the position of having a potentially sucessful book, that I am scared to send to an editor for fear of it being rejected without serious consideration, so I hope you see my point.

Oh, and before anyone says 'What about reading\writing circles', I currently live in Mexico, and if my English grammar is not up to scratch then, believe me, you do not want to look at my Spanish.

Many thanks for your response.

Hi Off-Worlder. Welcome to the Chronicles. I think you will find that there are many of us in the same position as you. We would all love to find that slot in an editor's (or agent's) busy day when there is nothing for them to do but pick up our manuscripts and find that, lo and behold, they have a masterpiece on their hands. However, that doesn't mean to say that one day it won't happen. Good luck and keep pushing.

The thing is, to a certain extent the way the story is presented is the book, and every mistake that a reader (and that would include editors and agents) notices is a distraction, a bump in the road that throws them briefly (if only for micro-seconds) out of the story.

If your story is indeed brilliant with an enthralling plot, excellent pacing, and engaging characters, an editor would almost certainly be willing to overlook occasional minor flaws in grammar etc. -- assuming these things didn't put them off the project before they reached the part of your story that would draw them in so completely that they would stop noticing such small mistakes. But if your story is less than brilliant, if there are other flaws as well, that you can't see but an editor would -- then all this goes into the tally of reasons not to keep reading, reasons not to buy. They have so many other manuscripts on their desk, more than they could ever hope to read through in their entirety or with the kind of attention they might like to give, that they have to make fairly quick decisions on what is going to be worth the time it would take for a more thoughtful and careful reading.

Editors get paid to acquire manuscripts and get them ready for publication. The days when they had the time and the mandate to discover new talent and carefully nurture it along are long past. Time spent with one writer means that another writer, equally deserving of their attention, gets short-changed. They also have accounting departments to answer to, and profit and loss to balance. And someone (not the acquiring editor) is going to have to be paid to copy-edit your book if they do decide to publish it. If the copy-editing is going to take two or three times as long, the copy-editor (who is almost certainly going to be a freelancer, not someone on salary) is going to expect to be paid for their time. All this goes into the equation of whether or not they can even afford to publish your book.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic to your explanations of why you can't turn in a perfectly polished piece of work -- but the fact is, in the end none of these reasons matter. If you want to sell your book, you will almost certainly have to find a way around these obstacles and turn in a professional looking manuscript.

Consider it a test of your desire, or paying your dues, or an initiation, or (if you choose) look at it in a more negative light -- just know that there are other first-time writers who face similiar limitations who can and will turn in polished manuscripts, so inexperience really doesn't count as an excuse.

(As for fear of rejection, that isn't going to go away -- ever. That's another obstacle you need to learn to navigate around.)

(As for fear of rejection, that isn't going to go away -- ever. That's another obstacle you need to learn to navigate around.)
Ooohhh - I really don't feel the cold much anymore - my skin has, of necessity, grown quite thick!:rolleyes:

Teresa Edgerton - You have oh'so candidly pulled the dull foil lid off the can of worms I have ever so carefully been trying to push off the edge off the desk.

The truth be known, I am currently in a valley of hard places and a nice big rock has just landed on me from far above. However, I guess its time to scale the cliffs.

Many thanks for your candid response.

Keep in mind that most published writers were in a very similar situation to yours once. We weren't always experienced writers, and few of us have degrees in English or Creative Writing. I, for one, could never have afforded to pay a freelance editor to look at my writing. I won't bore you with the list of obstacles that I or others have had to overcome; I'll just point out that once you make up your mind that you will overcome whatever obstacles you face, solutions are more likely to occur to you than when you're still thinking of all the reasons why you can't possibly.

Teresa - you are so right. Positiveness is the key. I have been accepted by Waterstones but I have to do the legwork round to their different shops. However, I find that once they look me up on their computers and see that I have the OK they are only too willing to order a few copies to see how it goes. I've also found that the independent bookshops are also willing to accept a few on sale or return. It's the not sitting back and waiting for them to come to you that you have to overcome. Get yourself out there - who knows, this time next year we could be millionaires!