Apple iPhone

Lenny

Press "X" to admire hat
I don't know exactly where to put this, due to the lack of a Tech forum (or at least due to the fact that I can't find one), but anywho... on we crack.

-----

I assume you've all heard of the iPhone that Apple debuted at MacWorld a few days ago?

And I assume that you've heard of Cisco's lawsuit against Apple, which they filed in the past day or so, because Apple have used the name iPhone, which Cisco currently owns.

If not, here are links to both:

Apple iPhone
Cisco Sues Apple

-----

And here is a detailed look at the iPhone.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21451

It's quite amazing. I've seen mobile phones that will change the screen from landscape to portrait if you rotate it, but nothing like the iPhone.

The software it uses looks beautiful, and the phone itself is a sleek little number.

One of the problems I can see, though, is how will you protect the touchscreen and stop it playing with itself if it's in your pocket and rubbing on the lining? Apple haven't said anything about a Lock feature - whether just for the on screen key- and numberpads, or for the touchscreen as a whole.

Also the phone isn't 3G, and you need to have it on a 2-year Cingular (Apple's mobile phone service provider) contract if you want to use it.

EDIT: Oh, and there's an interesting piece of information. It comes in two varieties - the 4gb version and the 8gb version.

The best part being... ? The 8gb version costs $599 - exactly the same as a 60gb PS3.

I swear we used to have a Technology section...It was definitely here when I first arrived, back in the day...:confused:

Anyhoos, I don't think I've had a chance to welcome you yet, Lenny. Ahem...WELCOME! :D

One of the problems I can see, though, is how will you protect the touchscreen and stop it playing with itself if it's in your pocket and rubbing on the lining? Apple haven't said anything about a Lock feature - whether just for the on screen key- and numberpads, or for the touchscreen as a whole.
It seems to me that lock programs are standard these days - we even used to have them on the mesozoic era phones that weren't small enough to carry in luggage, much less pockets. All the ipods have the lock as well so I would think that the iphone would too.

I still don't get the big deal. A phone's a phone. Heck, this one costs so much that it better drive me to work every day much less make all my calls for me.

You'd love one the phones that I think it was Samsung who showcased at CES - it's a phone that you can only phone people with.

What is the world coming to if in this day and age companies feel the need to manufacture a mobile phone that can only be used as a phone?

I think the main attraction to the iPhone is the actual technology... but that may just be the technophile in me trying to get out.

I still don't get the big deal. A phone's a phone. Heck, this one costs so much that it better drive me to work every day much less make all my calls for me.

I agree. But you know how it is - people would buy a £100 steaming turd in a bucket if they called it an iPoo.

Well, precisely. I imagine you'll have to buy a case for it, which will add a bit more onto the price...

Looking at the iPhone, I'd hate to think what would happen if Apple entered the console market.

A beautiful console, great software, one hell of a price tag.

-----

A case shouldn't cost too much. Maybe £50 at the absolute max?

£50 for a case? Are you serious? I would be horrified at paying more than £10 for one, especially given the phone's price tag in the first place!

It could be a very flash case, you know. Leather, shiny chrome... diamonds.

How much do iPod cases go for? Especially the ones that are licensed by Apple.

I don't know about actual cases, but you can get those rubber protector thingies, can't you. They're anything between £10 and £20. They sell iSocks though, I got a pack for my sister's ipod - 5 different colours, andall for £15. Rip offs, honestly.

If a case for an iPod is so expensive, then I can imagine a case for something twice the price of an iPod having a case twice the price.

So a £50 case could be feasible, especially if it's an Apple product and made with genuine MS Employee skin or something.

True. Handcrafted by genuinely under-paid imigrant workers from the finest wallet-linings out of the consumer's own pocket.

A case is a case is a case. I have a suitcase that cost £30. It doesn't cost more if I fill it with faberge eggs.

And if I were getting charged more, I'd tell them to go shove it.

But a good case for £40 is usually a damn site better than a bad case for a mere tenner.

Then again, with eBay this good case could drop down to a shocking £5, and then everyone's happy!

I feel the need to update this thread. And whilst I remember:

Alu-Leather Edge Case – Apple iPhone – iPhone Case – Proporta

Try fitting your faberge eggs into that, Green. :p The site has more iPhone cases, ranging from £15 to £30, and I've found a number of cases online... but none for significantly less than a tenner. Ouch.

---

Anyway, thread update.

There've been a lot of rumours lately about the iPhone 2 - a 3G iPhone with GPS. Some reports say it will be out as early as the end of this month, others that it may be July, and more others that haven't the foggiest. Details are sketchy on pricing and the exact features and look of the new iPhone, but all agree that it is coming (more of an event than the second coming of Jesus... hell, it is the second coming of Jesus! Well, iJesus), which is in line with Apple's comments that a 3G iPhone would be out this year.

Maybe this could be an iPhone that's finally worth getting?

Articles:

More iPhone 2 Details: 3G, GPS, Back in (Glossy) Black and a Little Fatter
Apple iPhone 2 features GPS, Nike+, Apple TV remote and more - TECH.BLORGE.com
Mossberg claims 3G iPhone 2 to be available within 60 days - TECH.BLORGE.com
iPhone 2 in development - analyst - Business - Macworld UK
iPhone 2 GPS
iPhone 2 | The iPhone FAQ

Bear in mind that nothing is completely set in stone. All the above should be counted as detailed and possibly correct rumours.

I agree. But you know how it is - people would buy a £100 steaming turd in a bucket if they called it an iPoo.

I was just reading through this thread and this totally made me laugh. Now I'm waiting for the marketing campaign. ;)

Though, I agree - what difference does it make? My $30 phone makes and receives phone calls just the same as a $600 phone does. And I wouldn't have bought a new one at all if I could've found a battery for my old one for less than $50.

Come on, man, think of your street cred. :rolleyes:

I had to think of my bank account first...

However, if you'd like to contribute to the expansion of my 'street cred', I gladly accept payments in the form of paypal and money orders... ;) Cash is nice too, but shouldn't be sent via mail.