Whale Sharks

Rosemary

The Wicked Sword Maiden
More news from the Ningaloo Reef, Western Australia
Whale sharks are in danger of disappearing from Ningaloo Reef.
Climate change & illegal fishing have contributed to the drop in whale sharks, say the authors of a study that has tracked their numbers for the past 12 years. The study showed a rapid & alarming decline in numbers. The Australia Institute of Marine Science has called for urgent action.
“We have the information but we need to do something about it.”
The survival rate at Ningaloo was 83 per cent but needed to be greater than 90 per cent to sustain population. Many are caught & sold on the black market.
Whale shark is sold in many countries, selling at about $8 per kg. Business in Coral Bay & Exmouth said that the loss of whale sharks would devastate the economy.
Many tourists, both national and international visit Ningaloo Reef; to see and admire the whale sharks and other marine creatures, all contributing to our state's economy.

I wonder how low their population will decline to before anything is done? Will it only be done because of a decrease in the economy?

Ningaloo looked like a wonderful place - I really wanted to visit while I was in Aus, but it was just too far out the way :(

Ningaloo looked like a wonderful place - I really wanted to visit while I was in Aus, but it was just too far out the way :(
It really is a wonderful place Cal.
I'll think of you when I go there for my holiday! :p:D

I snorkelled and dived at Ningaloo in 2000. Magic place. At that time a study had shown the by-catch for trawling for shrimp was something unbelievable like eight fish for one shrimp. A lot of the by-catch were endangered - needless to say, they were thrown back dead. Maybe 'keystone' species like sharks being in trouble's what's needed to wake people up. Then again, I think the northern rhino's extinct now in the wild (last I heard there were possibly two left), and I haven't spotted that even making the news.

Umm, remember the Whale Shark fishing-operations ? The legal ones. The industry went through the classic boom-and-bust cycle because the biology of these things wasn't fully understood.

While the illegal fishing is a concern, I would not be surprised if the population will recover in due course. Mind you I'd love to see a few of those fishermen prosecuted.

Back