Fantasy vs. Sci-fi: The impossible task of combining diametrically opposite genres

Shoot from the hip!

• I'm hooked!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Probably won't follow it but... interesting.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Needs work.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Needs ALOT of work.

• Hopeless.

• Total voters

Fuzzy Modem

Fantasy vs. Sci-fi: The impossible task of combining diametrically opposite genres

I’ve been frequenting another board for years with the development of this project, but now, as I prepare to re-release it after a near catastrophic false start, I find that I need a fresh perspective. I’m hoping that’s where you’ll come in. I need a new set of eyes before I’m ready to release the first issue, and so I ask that you read the following fourteen pages and give me your appraisal.

Prologue_p001-1.jpg

Prologue_p002-1.jpg

Prologue_p003-1.jpg

Prologue_p004.jpg

Prologue_p005.jpg

I'm going to be a bad bad newbie and excede the 5 image maximum.

Re: Fantasy vs. Sci-fi: The impossible task of combining diametrically opposite genre

hi fuzzy modem, i see no comments, so let me be the first to post.
i like the beginning, the graphic works are great.

but, i see problems that might put you in trouble from the start; first of all, i think it is suicidal for you to use the jedi-hood that is instantly recognizable from the beginning. an ardent user may overlook it, but the fact that u are hiding the face of the 'uncle' makes it a bit predictable.
the reason i say this is because i drew a story last year(just preliminary sketches) of a space adventure- and guess how i portrayed my mysterious man? that's right- he looked exactly like your 'uncle'.
i think star wars has influenced us too much in the classic look of the 'shaman' or 'wise man'- i would suggest that it is time we redesigned that hooded look.
if you do not intend to use your hooded 'uncle' as a mentor, i would be very surprised. if yes, it makes the story a bit predictable.

secondly, you have killed the plot/story right at the beginning. i am sure that you have a great story coming- but is it possible to hold off the space light for a while?
the uncle gave in to the conversation too fast; which makes us wonder why the kid(with her inqusiveness) does not already know the story by now( referring to her age).

my suggestion is that you keep the gory ancient war scene for a few more pages, without explanation.(mabbe you should draw the bodies a little withered by nature- your bodies look too fresh as if the war just happened that week)
meanwhile, you should create an alternate story that draws the readers attention to the post war way of life and problems necessary for survival.

here, the reader will be drawn further into the story, curious of the destruction and curious of what is currently developing.

Please find another way for the readers to find out about the light from the sky '1000 years ago'. I find direct questions then a long story afterwards a bit boring. Another suggestion is to throw this story in tid-bits, taking advantage of current(time where your introductory characters live), at the same time mixing up the time line of events.
In this tactic, your reader should be prepped for a nice climax- it will be fun for you to create the story too.

Anyway, am just an african with too many suggestions, what do i know?
Post your reply, may be i got your intentions with the intro wrong...

regards,
herrdoktorus

Re: Fantasy vs. Sci-fi: The impossible task of combining diametrically opposite genre

It looks really hot... Really stylish presentation. I assume these are photos you use. Maybe you could work some more on the photos to make them look more stylized.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with using photos for comics, look at Max Payne... But they look a littl bit out of place. I'm sure theres something you can do to make them blend in better!

Really cool tohugh, i'd probably buy this stuff.

I love the graphics.

Herrdoktor said it all about Obi...

Do you write the script yourself?

Yep. 's my script.

I'm up to 22 pages now too, and I have a new website and a few thousand readers. : )

The girl and her uncle won't appear outside the prologue. They're there to foreshadow and get the ball rolling. Justifying the story itself as it were, which is about her parents.

Once I get a tablet I ought to be able to blend the live action with the CG a bit better...

Thanks for your interest. Hope you'll poke your head into my site and read some more : )

Yep. The script is mine.

I have 22 pages done now, plus a new website and a few thousand readers.

Have a look