kind of surprised me

HappyHippo

I'm so dizzy...
Random good words: spanner, wobbly, boing, muppet
I haven't written anything serious - other than some dodgy 'depressed' poetry - for years, quite literally. This evening I sat down and bashed out a page and a half of intro to a story that just strolled into my head. And, unusually for me, I didn't look at it and delete automatically.

When I was seven, my form tutor thought I could be the next Shakespeare (hollow laugh), and my English teacher in senior school agreed, but when I was younger I had ideas for stories all the time, and I wrote tons. As I've gotten older, I haven't been able to write anything without trashing it instantly. And becasue of aforementioned burst of creativity I'm now in need of help, please.

1) The two main characters have wandered into my brain, 50% formed. Now what? DO I need in-depth character studies or can I write 'free form'?
2) The rough outline of the plot dropped in as well, but it looks like it's going to involve things I'm not too familiar with, in particular close-range fighting and swords. David Eddings says in the Rivan Codex, something like: If you want to write about riding a horse all day, go ride a horse all day. (Very roughly) Is just book and internet research sufficient?
3) I know there is nothing like an original idea left in the world. Does it matter if it's derivative drivel? How can one tell?

This probably sounds daft, and I do apologise for blathering on. I'd appreciate any help you'd care to give, please.

Hi, HH. To address your questions in turn:

1 - it's a cop-out, I know, but the answer is that it depends on how you feel. I've personally gone both ways on this. My first novel was written almost entirely on the fly, with no character outlines at all and only a very vague idea of how each character fitted into the overall plot before I started. My second was much more detailed; nearly a page of notes for each of my four MCs, plus bits and pieces for minor characters. In my case, I think the planning helped me keep from getting in a tangle with my characters, but they developed less naturally. Writing on the fly was more fun.

2 - research can be a lifesaver. What I would say is that practical research on the things you listed might be...a tad awkward.:p I'd just go with book/internet research, but it might be possible to get in touch with local clubs/associations who might be willing to help you out with info, and perhaps even fencing lessons etc.

3 - You're right. Pretty much everything's derivative. What's important is to have a fresh take on an idea. My first novel, Wirewalker, covers themes that have cropped up in things like the Matrix, The X-Files and probably a dozen other things I could mention. My latest, First Person Shooter, also covers ground that's been ploughed already. In both cases, I think my take on the ideas is different enough to make writing them worthwhile. Whether an agent/publisher will agree...that's another story.;)

Anyway, hope I've been some help. Feel free to disregard any of the above that sounds like utter tosh, and feel free to PM me if you'd like any more tosh...I mean advice.:eek:

Whether you create your characters on the fly or build them separately, try to build a biography as you go and learn it, to give yourself some chance of consistency.

Research depends on what you need to research.
Jules Verne wrote pretty well everything in a library.
Most technical and visual details, a couple of hours on the Internet will work wonders.
Sword play and similar, there is a lot of creative writing floating about, so you can simply read, digest and regurgitate in your own words.
But there are things you really can not research, you either know how to do it, or you don't. Forging a sword: Feeling for the grain stresses, folding and laminating the metal might be an example of that. The trick here, if you have to go there at all, is to be plausible. 1 in 10,000 might notice a problem.

The only thing you learn from riding a horse all day is that your backside hurts for two days afterwards (been there, done it and fell off it).

Riding a horse ? try wearing chain-mail. I couldn't walk for two days after my first time.

Seriously, if you have characters and plot, just start writing and see what happens. At least it'll be exercise.

My two cents (CH, smaller than dollars)
I've always been a very "prepare all the elements in advance" sort of person; now, largely influenced by this forum I'm writing something with no planning, inventing details when necessary; I've written the end, and I don't know the name of the empire, the capital city… I think I have all the characters now, and I might even know where to start it.
And I'm enjoying it intensely. I might have no illusions about being able to use it for anything, but it's getting written.
Since a lot of what I write is futuristic, should I wait until I can zoom round the solar system before I start writing? I think not. I'll get as many technical details right as I can, but have to base my research on incomplete information.
So I say go for it. If you can find someone who knows swords, great, but if not, how many of your readers are going to know, or care, about the technical detaits (most fantasy novels involving swordplay contain major, frequently glaring, errors, and only a few pedants get upset about it)

So, I ask how it can damage you to go a head, while it's relatively easy tosee the potential advantages.

I'd say if you're hot with a record of cooling off, go for it. Pour it on and fill up files while the run lasts. Sort it out later.

One thing you mention, a log of character traits is often mentioned, but I've never done and don't know anybody who does. I think its like if you know the characters you don't need it anymore than you'd need a chart to write about you friends or teachers or whoever. (And their favorite color or football team doesn't REALLY matter, or if it does, you know it)

Don't let researching swords slow you down...you can always pick that stuff up later and fill it in.

Does it matter if it's derivative drivel?
Derivative is not so bad, drivel is.

One thing you mention, a log of character traits is often mentioned, but I've never done and don't know anybody who does. I think its like if you know the characters you don't need it anymore than you'd need a chart to write about you friends or teachers or whoever. (And their favorite color or football team doesn't REALLY matter, or if it does, you know it)

I develop character bios. For me, it helps make them more three-dimensional. I have a starting point, a finishing point, and then try to think how every event would potentially change their character. I could just write a character by the seat of my pants, but occasionally they'll run away without me due to my carelessness. I don't really spend more than a single-spaced page or two of backstory and target characterization. (For instance, have someone start out fairly mousey in the story and end up somewhat bolder at the end. What changed that, when, and why? What of their history would make such a change make sense? Etc)

Favorite color and football team don't really matter much, although you should just jot down that kind of information in case you need to back-reference it for consistency (it would be embarrassing if your MC's favorite color was blue on page 5 and red on page 234 without any explanation in between). My favorite color is green but that doesn't really bear much on who I am.

It's mostly useful for consistency and accuracy, when you have an army of characters.

Free-form writing can be some of the most enjoyable times in writing, when you just set your fingers on the keyboard and start tapping out interesting combinations of words. Eventually your characters will form on their based upon experiences and people that you know about. These things don't just come from no where and I always find that basing my characters on those around me makes setting up their traits all the more easier.

Got a dashing anti-hero who's afraid of snakes? Well base him on your "cool" Uncle Dave. Character archetypes exist in every single person we meet, and you just have to look a bit deeper into their behaviour to see it sometimes.

Wow, thanks for all that feedback! I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to see how far I get -free-form - before wanting to erase the lot at the moment. Another two pages (very early) this morning! Maybe my fourteen year case of writer's block is ending at long last...

thanks again. You are all wonderful people!

HH, since I'm not a writer I can't give you any terribly specific advice other than what I'd say to anyone working on any type of project:
1. Never delete anything right away. If you get the urge, walk away. It may be garbage or it may be a jewel or it may be a piece of coal that can turn into a jewel...anyway, you never know what you may be able to make of it later.
2. Don't worry about research. Get the story out and technical bits can be worked in later. Even if you get it wrong you can always fix it later. The story itself is the most important bit.
3. The characters will build themselves as you go. If you need to add background later then again you can go back in and add it.
4. If you are having fun, keep going! Too often we end up doing things we don't enjoy in life. Don't take that bit of fun away from yourself because of doubts!

1) The two main characters have wandered into my brain, 50% formed. Now what? DO I need in-depth character studies or can I write 'free form'?
2) The rough outline of the plot dropped in as well, but it looks like it's going to involve things I'm not too familiar with, in particular close-range fighting and swords. David Eddings says in the Rivan Codex, something like: If you want to write about riding a horse all day, go ride a horse all day. (Very roughly) Is just book and internet research sufficient?

I'm in favor of writing up character bios early on in the writing process. And I'm in favor of writing it down in black and white rather than holding it in your head. Your characters' histories will have shaped who they are, starting on page one.

For example, for my current project, I'd been letting the idea simmer in my head for months before finally getting started. In that time, I thought I'd had plenty of time to work it all out. I had all the major scenes planned, and I thought I knew, at a very deep level, what made my characters tick, particularly the protagonist. I knew, for example, that she'd lost her mother at a "young age." So, when I sat down to write her back story -- which I thought would be a redundant waste of time -- I was surprised at how many details were fuzzy. How old was she when she lost her mother? Three...or ten? It makes a huge difference. It turned out that a major source of her bitterness (beginning on page one) stems from the seemingly minor detail that she was informed of her mother's death via letter, and not given a chance to be at her mother's bedside, so she wouldn't be distracted from her oh-so-important studies. If I'd just plunged ahead with writing, I would probably never have thought of that.

And what if you get a major insight about your character(s) three quarters of the way through? I think you'll either want to plan more at the beginning or be prepared to edit more at the end. My 2cents.

As for research, you probably shouldn't follow my lead there. I've become quite the student of medieval life lately. You'll definitely find all the info about anything you can think of on the internet. If the sheer volume of it doesn't discourage you, there are also a lot of shiny things to keep you away from actually writing. (Speaking of shiny things on the internet, I think Chrons is the Hope Diamond.)

Oh, and please don't delete anything. Saved on my computer are Ch. 1, version 1, version 2, and version 3. Version 1 hurts my head when I reread it now.

Last edited: