Lian Hearn - The Tales of the Otori

Cal20

Signifying nothing...
Hi everyone:)
Just wanted to ask if anyone has read the five books in The Tales of the Otori series? I count them among my very favourite books and enjoy them every time I read them. The characters are so likeable and have depth, the scenery is magnificant and Hearn's writing style is just superb - I think so anyway! Anyone agree with me??:D -Cal20

I've read most of The Tales of the Otori series, although the title I haven't read yet escapes me at the moment (I'll have to check a bit later). As a fan of Japanese historical fiction, I picked them up and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

I adore any fiction about Japanese history and i enjoy this series. Hearn is pretty good writer. I like the way she writes. The scenary is really great, it gets to me sometimes.

Have read the two first books in the series. Have to finish the series.

I've read Across the Nightingale Floor; Grass For His Pillow, Brilliance Of The Moon and Hrash Cry of the Heron.

I bought Heaven's Net is Wide about a month ago but have not gotten around to reading it yet. I loved each and every one of these books. They are well imagined and vividly depict the period that they are set in. The writer obviously did a great deal of homework and manages to bring the period to life.

Like Connavar I too like tales out Japanese history though I also love Japanese myth and most other Asian myth.

They are well imagined and vividly depict the period that they are set in. The writer obviously did a great deal of homework and manages to bring the period to life.

Thats why i enjoy the series. Some of the scene you got so vivid images of in your mind eye.

Also very important you could see she did alot of homework on the culture and history she was writing about. She isnt a westerner writing what she thinks was this period of japanese history.

Some other fictions i have seen that it hurts the story. People writing their own version of other cultures and their history.

Cant wait to see what she does next after this series !

She took her name from Lafcadio Hearn who was a great scholar of all things Japanese. You might want to give his books a try. He was so respected by the Japanese that they thought him one of their own. For example, he was actually invited to witness an act of ritual sepukku.

Some other writers you might wish to try are Laura Joh Rowland - she writes a series of detective novels set in the Tokugawa era. Again the books are well imagined with very real characters. And again she has done her homework.

There is also Kij Johnson but her books are based on myth as well as history. I loved the two books she has written and am hoping she writes more.

I've read the first three and really need to get around to reading the last two. Excellent books - well researched, great storyline, atmospheric, well written, good characters, a splash of the fantastical. What more would you want?

(maybe an oriental dragon?);)

She took her name from Lafcadio Hearn who was a great scholar of all things Japanese. You might want to give his books a try. He was so respected by the Japanese that they thought him one of their own. For example, he was actually invited to witness an act of ritual sepukku.

Some other writers you might wish to try are Laura Joh Rowland - she writes a series of detective novels set in the Tokugawa era. Again the books are well imagined with very real characters. And again she has done her homework.

There is also Kij Johnson but her books are based on myth as well as history. I loved the two books she has written and am hoping she writes more.

Nice thanks for the recommendations, i have been looking for books based Asian and Japanese history and myths.

I knew of Lafcadio Hearn cause of when i read about Lian Hearn. Much better name than her old pen name.

I read the original trilogy which I thought was great, except for the end which felt very anti-climactic (anyone else think that?). I also read Harsh Cry of the Heron which I felt was good, if not quite as good as the original three. I may, eventually, get 'round to the prequel which sounds intriguing. I love the oriental setting, it's unlike so many things I've read and feels so exotic and colourful... I really must read that last book at some point!

I discovered the first one on audio book, and really enjoyed it knowing nothing about it. I've read 2 and 3 and wasn't so keen. I had no idea there are five, I might check them out after I finish the book I am currently reading.