The Legions of Dalaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

svalbard

Supporter
This is the beginning of a battle scene I am writing. Any suggestions on tension build up and grammatical mistakes would be welcome.

Searing heat rose up from the desert, its intensity seemed to suck the air from the lungs of the Dalarian legions, as they formed up on the edge of the Cteph Mountains. Lucien Mostopholous, First Legate of the Empire, tried to shield his eyes from the blinding sun as he stared into the glimmering distance. Yes, there was definitely a dust cloud out there. Five stades, maybe and moving quickly. Plenty of cavalry, thought the general, and he cursed his scouts again for not getting close enough to the barbarians to make out their numbers and formations.

The general stood on a slight rise on the barren plain giving him a perfect view of what would be the battlefield or slaughter ground. There was not much doubt in the mind of Lucien Mostopholous as to what the outcome would be. He had been warring with these desert dwellers for all his life and had never known defeat. Of course the empire had long lost the provinces of Fornakia before he had risen to his present position and for him had lain the task of defending the rich goldmines of Cteph. But as First Legate, his work had multiplied in the previous ten years. The Federation of Nations had begun to put pressure on Dalaria’s southern provinces drawing the emperor's eyes and armies there.

That is where he needed to be, shoring up the defenses on the Haran Straits, not here in this furnace battling uncouth tribesmen undeserving of his greatness. But the Emperor had sent him.

"Urgent," he had said, "my most ablest of generals is needed. The faith of the empire depends on your success."

The words had sounded so genuine coming from the mouth of a master liar and Lucien had believed them. A mask had slipped from the emperor’s face during the audience and Lucien witnessed the raw fear in the eyes of a man he had dreaded his whole life. No stranger to palace intrigue, the Legate set his agents to work to find out what terror lay behind the emperor’s fears. Because if the emperor feared anything then that would indeed be a terror. To sit the Ascillian Throne for forty years bred a certain kind courage. Assassination attempts and constant rebellions were the only certainty of the Dalarian rulers reign and the Emperor Sallistas had long put paid to such traditions.

His rule was iron fisted with the Families, but surprisingly lenient with the great unwashed, a word the Legate used to describe the common people of Dalaria. It made Sallistas popular amongst the people and feared by the Families. But his agents could report nothing out of the ordinary and Mostopholous had put his suspicions down to an overly paranoid mind.
The Legate had taken the tenth and twelfth legions north across the Bline mountains into Cteph, where he had raised two further auxiliary legions from the locals. Four legions, two regular and two auxiliaries, was all Lucien believed he would need to put a stop to the Fornakian incursion. He had learned his bloody trade in these desolate wild lands whilst a junior officer in the legions. Now here he was at the height of his powers, back facing the cowled tribesmen of the dessert once again. But this time he was in a position to obliterate the barbarians and annihilate them he would. Mercy was not a word that came to mind when men spoke of Lucien Mostopholous.

His subordinates had finished forming his legions into their battle lines and he was pleased with what he saw. Iron helmed, sporting the famed white ostrich plume, the Dalarian legionnaire was the most proficient killing machine in the world and Lucien felt a thrill of pride to be commanding such a force. War was his love and he embraced battle with a fierce joy.

‘Range the artillery!’ he barked.

His order was relayed to the crews of the ballistae and onagers. Winching back the pulleys until they were taught with tension, the ballistae crew released their bolts. A lone legionnaire raced forward to place a white flag on the spot where the farthest bolt had landed. A moment later the crew of the giant catapult, known as the onager, let fly their deadly load and Lucien watched with satisfaction as the rock landed some hundreds of feet in the distance. Again a white flag was placed to mark the spot. As soon as the Fornakians reached those flags the artillery would commence their bombardment upon them.

The dust cloud was now closer and the waiting Dalarians could hear the loud keening battle cries of the Fornakians. There was a slight stir in the Dalarian line as the moment of battle approached. They are coming right at us, thought Lucien, knowing that as soon as battle was joined he would not be able to see a thing as the sand kicked up by the boots of tens of thousands of men would create a huge suffocating dust cloud. That was where the iron discipline of his men would win through. The wind was blowing stinging particles of sand towards the Dalarians as if some force was driving it. Tremors began to rise from the ground as the Fornakian army drew closer, still enveloped in the swirling sandstorm.

Lucian caught a glint of light in the murky maelstrom. Sun shining of steel, he thought. Glancing over his shoulder down the low bluff he appraised his waiting cavalry. They would be the hammer to the anvil of his infantry, for they would envelope the Fornakians when they were fixed on the static line of his legions. Drawn from the now lost province of Scalabria, the lancers were renowned horsemen and fearsome warriors. Even though the province had fallen to the Federation of Nations, the tribesmen still made their way to Dalaria to enlist in the emperor’s service. Mercenaries in all but name, they had proved their worth to the emperor on countless battlefields.

‘By the gods will you look at that!’ one of the officers called out.

His attention brought back in focus, Lucien found it hard to credit what he was witnessing. Racing out of the sandstorm with the sun shining off them, the structures appeared to resemble ships of some sort. They seemed translucent with high decks and three masts along the centre of there elongated shapes. Masts which sported sails that seemed to propel the ships forward. Ships of glass, thought Mostopholous, I can hardly credit it.

‘Sorcery!’ the cry went up.

The Dalarian line began to tremble as the apparitions hurdled their way towards them.

‘Hold the line!’ roared the First Legate, his order taken up by lesser officers in the army ranks.

‘ARTIILARY LOOSE ON THE MARK!’ he bellowed.

A swirling wind blew across the arid plain driving sand and the glass ships before it.A ragged roar came up from the Dalarians as they raised their shields and beat the hafts of their spears against them.

‘That’s more like it,’ muttered Lucien Mostopholous.

Bolts from the ballistae and rocks from the onagers winged their way towards the onrushing glass ships, but the barrage did little to slow the attack. The noise was deafening as the Fornakians closed with the Dalarians crashing in to the serried ranks of legions with a tremendous roar. Lucian could not believe his eyes when the glass ships tore through the Dalarian ranks crushing men by the dozen beneath there translucent keels. And then his army broke, not from a lack of courage, but from the sheer disbelief at what they were facing. Men in their thousands streamed up the ridge only to be cut down by the pursuing Fornakians.

Hi Svalbard,

Bit pressed for time today, so I'm afraid this will be brief.

There are a few grammatical niggles, but nothing serious. By way of an example:-

Searing heat rose up from the desert,

I think you need a semicolon here.

its intensity seemed to suck the air from the lungs of the Dalarian legions,

You don't need a comma here - there is no pause or break before the next part of the sentence.

Of course

comma

the empire had long lost the provinces of Fornakia before he had risen to his present position and for him had lain the task of defending the rich goldmines of Cteph. But as First Legate, his work had multiplied in the previous ten years. The Federation of Nations had begun to put pressure on Dalaria’s southern provinces drawing the emperor's eyes and armies there.

That is where he needed to be, shoring up the defenses on the Haran Straits, not here in this furnace battling uncouth tribesmen undeserving of his greatness. But the Emperor had sent him.

This gets close to info dump/ telling rather than showing, but it's probably OK!!

"Urgent," he had said, "my most ablest

"Most able" or just "ablest".

of generals is needed. The faith

"Faith" looks wrong here. Do you mean reputation or glory?

‘ARTIILARY

Typo!!

Lucian could not believe his eyes when the glass ships tore through the Dalarian ranks crushing men by the dozen beneath there

"Their"

Haven't got time to do the rest yet, but perhaps Chris or someone will be along later.

Generally, I really like your style. The prose is intelligent and the tension builds nicely. My main problem is that the outcome is a no-brainer. As soon as you tell us that this rather arrogant general has never lost, I know that he is about to meet his Waterloo. I think you could tone down those bits and let us see his over confidence in other ways - perhaps he is arranging his troops in anticipation of "the usual Fornakian charge - a chaotic rabble of ill-armed and ill-disciplined tribesmen who would hurl themselves enthusiastically on the spears of the front rank" or something like that.

I like the glass ships, too. Interesting touch. But unless they are flat bottomed, they wouldn't crush dozens of men - keels tend to run down to a thin point, which in this case would make it look as though the boats were skating over the sand. Men would be thrown aside, but not necessarily crushed.

Regards,

Peter

Just wondered - what is the context of this scene?

As in is it the opening of a book or further in?

The amount of information on the General struck me as "opening".

So far, read two paragraphs, thought of comments, then thought "yes, but" and asked the question above.

One comment, my mind bounced off this:

as they formed up on the edge of the Cteph Mountains. Lucien Mostopholous, First Legate of the Empire

Purely because of the position of the unfamiliar name of the mountans, put right next to the long name of the legate. My suggestions (please feel free to ignore) would be:

1. Rearrange the order of the sentences a little, so "Cteph" Mountains is positioned somewhere else
2. Just say mountains.

It is nice to have Cteph to give a feel of place and character, but I like books that flow easily into my mind. (Which takes a lot of work from the writer :))

Also, writing this comment, I suddenly wasn't sure about "on the edge of the mountains" my literal mind began wondering "which edge" - what do other people think? (I'd like to know this for myself and my writing.) Is "on the edge" OK, or would "at the base", "along the foothills" be better?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the critique. Good tips as usual. I actually changed 'most able' to 'most ablest' just before I posted. I was unsure as to what was correct. The glass ships are still a work in progress and I am working on the magical processes around them.

Hi Montero,

This is somewhere at the beginning of the second book in the series. As of yet I have not decided to include. The lack of clarity you discern around Cteph may have something do with my own uncertainties about the context of the excerpt. Thanks again.

I can't believe you missed the word 'taut' mispelled as 'taught' Peter, that was the most glaring typo for me. As to you Svalbard, the build-up of tension was mildly crafted. If I was in a more vigorated state I might have enjoyed it even more and gave my consent to whether the tension was too much or just right. Currently I doubt whether NATO flattening my door and reprehending me could fix that problem though, only sleep. I do believe you need to insert words more associated with battle, nerve-racking and intense images. Not that you didn't do a good job on description, certes you did, but as you are aware it would do wonders to enhance the desired thrill. Ignore the french word I accidently placed in my critique, sleep is calling me. As always, good job on the work and I look forward to more.

Last edited:
Hi Svalbard. Just a quick comment to say I enjoyed it as I seem to do most of your posts. You must have an incredible portfolio of writing...there is so much variety in what you chose to share with us. Keep up the good work *g*.

Searing heat rose up from the desert, its intensity (seemed to suck) sucking the air from the lungs of the Dalarian legions, as they formed up on the edge of the Cteph Mountains. Lucien Mostopholous, First Legate of the Empire, tried (to shield) shielding his eyes from the blinding sun as he stared into the glimmering distance. New paragraph

Yes, there was definitely a dust cloud out there. Five stades, maybe and moving quickly. Plenty of cavalry, thought the general, and he cursed his scouts again for not getting close enough to the barbarians to make out their numbers and formations.

The general stood on a slight rise on the barren plain giving him a perfect view of what would be (their) battlefield or slaughter ground. There was not much doubt in the mind of Lucien Mostopholous as to what the outcome would be. He had been warring with these desert dwellers for all his life and had never known defeat. Of course the empire had long lost the provinces of Fornakia before he had risen to his present position(.) (and) For him(,) had lain the task of defending the rich goldmines of Cteph. But as First Legate, his work had multiplied in the previous ten years. The Federation of Nations had began putting to put pressure on Dalaria’s southern provinces drawing the emperor's eyes and armies there.

"Urgent," he had said, "my most ablest of generals is needed. The faith of the empire depends on your success."

The words had sounded so genuine coming from the mouth of a master liar and Lucien had believed them. A mask had slipped from the emperor’s face during the audience and Lucien witnessed the raw fear in the eyes of a man he had dreaded his whole life. No stranger to palace intrigue, the Legate set his agents to work (to find) finding out what terror lay behind the emperor’s fears. Because if the emperor feared anything then that would indeed be a terror. To sit the Ascillian Throne for forty years bred a certain kind courage. Assassination attempts and constant rebellions were the only certainty of the Dalarian rulers reign and the Emperor Sallistas had long put paid to such traditions.

His rule was iron fisted with the Families, but surprisingly lenient with the great unwashed, a word the Legate used to describe the common people of Dalaria. It made Sallistas popular amongst the people and feared by the Families. But his agents could report nothing out of the ordinary and Mostopholous had put his suspicions down to an overly paranoid mind.
The Legate had taken the tenth and twelfth legions north across the Bline mountains into Cteph, where he had raised two further auxiliary legions from the locals. Four legions, two regular and two auxiliaries, was all Lucien believed he would need to put a stop to the Fornakian incursion. He had learned his bloody trade in these desolate wild lands whilst (still) a junior officer in the legions. Now here he was at the height of his power, back facing the cowled tribesmen of the desert once again. But this time he was in a position to obliterate the barbarians and annihilate them he would. Mercy was not a word that came to mind when men spoke of Lucien Mostopholous.

His subordinates had finished forming his legions into (their) could leave out battle lines and he was pleased with what he saw. Iron helmed, sporting the famed white ostrich plume, the Dalarian legionnaire(s) were the most proficient killing machine in the world and Lucien felt a thrill of pride to be commanding such a force. War was his love and he embraced battle with a fierce joy.

‘Range the artillery!’ he barked.

His order was relayed to the crews of the ballistae and onagers. Winching back the pulleys until they were taught with tension, the ballistae crew released their bolts. A lone legionnaire raced forward to place a white flag on the spot where the farthest bolt had landed. A moment later the crew of the giant catapult, known as the onager, let fly their deadly load and Lucien watched with satisfaction as the rock landed some hundreds of feet in the distance. Again a white flag was placed to mark the spot. As soon as the Fornakians reached those flags the artillery would commence their bombardment upon them (could leave out).

The dust cloud was now closer (closing) and the waiting Dalarians could hear the loud keening battle cries of the Fornakians. There was a slight stir in the Dalarian line as the moment of battle approached.Maybe new paragraph

They are coming right at us, thought Lucien, knowing that as soon as battle was joined he would not be able to see a thing(.) Sand kicked up by the boots of tens of thousands of men would create a huge suffocating dust cloud. That was where the iron discipline of his men would win through. The wind was blowing stinging particles of sand towards the Dalarians as if some force was driving it. Tremors began to rise (rising) from the ground as the Fornakian army drew closer, still enveloped in the swirling sandstorm.

Lucian caught a glint of light in the murky maelstrom. Sun shining (of) on steel, he thought. Glancing over his shoulder down the low bluff he appraised his waiting cavalry (re read this out loud). They would be the hammer to the anvil of his infantry, for they would envelope the Fornakians when they were fixed on the static line of his legions. Drawn from the now lost province of Scalabria, the lancers were renowned horsemen and fearsome warriors. Even though the province had fallen to the Federation of Nations, the tribesmen still made their way to Dalaria to enlist in the emperor’s service. Mercenaries in all but name, they had proved their worth to the emperor on countless battlefields.

‘By the gods will you look at that!’ one of the officers called out.

His attention brought back in focus, Lucien found it hard to credit what he was witnessing. Racing out of the sandstorm with the sun shining off them, the structures appeared to resemble ships of some sort. They seemed translucent with high decks and three masts along the centre of their elongated shapes. Masts which sported sails that seemed to propel the ships forward.(do you need this line? most masts have sails? Ships of glass, thought Mostopholous, I can hardly credit it.

‘Sorcery!’ the cry went up.

The Dalarian line began to tremble as the apparitions hurdled their way towards them.

‘Hold the line!’ roared the First Legate, his order taken up by lesser officers in the army ranks.

‘ARTIILARY LOOSE ON THE MARK!’ he bellowed.

A swirling wind blew across the arid plain driving sand and the glass ships before it.A ragged roar came up from the Dalarians as they raised their shields and beat the hafts of their spears against them.

‘That’s more like it,’ muttered Lucien Mostopholous.

Bolts from the ballistae and rocks from the onagers winged their way towards the onrushing glass ships, but the barrage did little to slow the attack. The noise was deafening as the Fornakians closed with the Dalarians crashing in to the serried ranks of legions with a tremendous roar.(make a new paragraph)
Lucian could not believe his eyes when the glass ships tore through the Dalarian ranks (crushing men by the dozen beneath there translucent keels.) something here struch me wrong read it out loud and try a couple of different ways to say it.) And then his army broke, not from a lack of courage, but from the sheer disbelief at what they were facing. Men in their thousands streamed up the ridge only to be cut down by the pursuing Fornakians.

Just a few things, you know I like your style I pointed out a few things, might not even need to be changed, they just caught my eye. The parts I mentioned to reread though I felt something wrong in them.

Hi Sval, firstly I enjoyed reading this, to me a bit more needs to be said about the meeting with the emperor, where did it take place? a bit of description would add to that part.
I would also have thought that a general like Lucien would have a second in command, someone who he trusts, relays his orders to etc, perhaps this second in command has better eyes than the older general and it is he who spots the glass ships? The idea of the ships is a good one, perhaps there could be archers onboard firing down onto the legions to add to the carnage?
Just my tuppence worth, keep up the good work.

Some good ideas there, thanks nj1. Some of them seem so easy, like the second in command, now that I look at it.

Good input, Damyinn. Thanks for the critique. Different ideas and slants are always welcome especially when you are undecided about a piece of writing. I promise to get to your new material soon. I have giving them a quick read, but I will give my input soon after a second perusal.

Cheers, ysabara. Now if only I could get published I would be over the moon. As it is I enjoy writing and learning new techniques from everyone on the site here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Clansman Reviews & Interviews 0