post nucler holocaust story, technology returning to medieval

kaileonis

looking for a sci fi book about a group of survivors from a nuclear holocaust who went out of their protective vault and find that America went back into medieval time technology. they met this horse clan people, and later on one of the horse clan member left with them towards california where they found an evil kingdom where they bullying the common folks around. the horse clan guy, along with the survivors helped out the common folks by training them to fight. they invented new weapons, like this small shield with sharp edges that they can use to cut with as well. there was also this kite weapon where they use to dive on enemies, and cut their heads. one of the survivors found out that saltpeter, an ingredient for gunpowder, was abundant around the castle where they were captured, and used those to make gun powder for the war.

don't know if anyone here read that. but its really good. i want to know the title and/or author

also the horse clan guy, at the end, became the king or leader and he was preparing his new followers against his own horse clan, for they are coming.

i checked that out. i remember the story has no magic or telepaths on it. well i guess i'll have to look around some more. thanks for trying

Was there also a scene where they find a very thick copper wire and cut it up into coins? And Los Angeles was dominated by Asians who were thriving and had a very active market? I think some scenes take place in Tennessee? Is that the one you are thinking of? Let me know if so and Ill try to recall the name.