Influences on your choice of literature

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
Has anything affected the choice of novel you choose to read?

Before I did an a level English Literature course last year , I was happy to read simple stories - or perhaps I should say read stories simply. The more
complex novels were enjoyed simply for the quality of the story ; and the 'pulp fiction' style literature was equally enjoyable , again for the same reasons

Yet now that I am more knowledgable as to the literary devices used (or in some cases clearly omitted) by authors , I find myself picking holes in the books I reqad , shaking my head at missed opportunities on behalf of the author , or at the simplified language used to convey the story to me.

Having read more 'high-brow' novels like Wise Children and One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest and poetry by Blake and Duffy
the books I read before feel far more 'unworthy' to be read , and obviously my enjoyment of them has suffered as a consequence.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I think most heavy readers (not to mention the majority of writers) have such an experience. The more one is exposed to truly good (or great) literature, the less satisfactory the lower grades become -- at least, in many ways. However, there is also a third stage many people reach, where one can recognize the worth of each type within its own sphere, and enjoy and appreciate them for what they are.

This is not to say that you'll ever see them as being on the same level. The simple fact is that some writers, some books, are better than others: they offer more, on more levels, and the experience only becomes more fulfilling on repeated readings; whereas others may offer some of that, but on much shallower levels, and eventually simply become repetitive. But this does not mean the lesser types are unworthy of reading, or even studying to some degree. It does, however, mean that one's critical judgment has become more developed and refined, so that a book of the one type is just not as satisfying an experience as one of the other.

It's very much the analogy I use of candy floss (or, for me, a candied apple) versus steak: I can enjoy both, but a good, meaty meal is always going to provide more lasting nutrition than that of something lighter, fluffier, or intended for a sweet tooth rather than as a full meal....

I read many types of literrature i dont care if its "high" art or simple fun story. For me its about how i enjoy a story, not the grade of it. You dont have to go in english lit class to know there are different grades.

I only compare stories,authors that work in similar fields. If i read a writer who is great a certain types of story i dont read other similar type of stories that are inferior.

Since taking my creative writing class especially, I find myself reading books (and also watching films, as we did screenplays for a couple of weeks, too) with a more critical eye. And my first year of university filled me to the brim, almost, with many, many different theories that can be applied to literature. But when reading books, I can generally turn it off and just enjoy books as they are, except for maybe knowing what I did and did not enjoy about the particular book (although I have found this to be increasingly more 'technical' as my studies progress). Sometimes things leap out at me, I don't think I'll ever be able to completely shut out everything I've learnt, it has a habit of throwing in its own opinions when I'm reading sometimes!

I'm a pretty omnivorous reader, though, so I do read (or at least did, until my to read pile grew to a stupidly large amount) of literature that is often considered 'high brow'. I enjoy a lot of it, however, not because of its status but because I think they're good reads. I love Wuthering Heights, Northanger Abbey, Metamorphoses, Decline and Fall, Othello, any Stephen King book, Flowers for Algernon, to name but a few of my favourites; all very different, but all equally loved. As J.d says, you can get to a point where you enjoy all types of book as they are.

Just one thing, though. Wise Children as high brow? Really? :p

Oh yes. In college I took a course on Russian literature. I quite liked most of the books we read (and remember the course with fondness) but I think I got a glut of hopelessness all at once and now can't even think of reading anything real and bleak. Probably why I like high fantasy so much now. I get unreal with happy endings (mostly). Reading Ricardo Pinto's Chosen sort of harkened back to those Russian stories - a bit more unreal of course but the bleak despair was similar. So I could respect the quality of the work but don't hanker to read any more of it.

I refuse to classify anything as either high brow or low brow. My categories are those that give me entertainment, those that depress me and those that just aren't to my taste.

I read many types of literrature i dont care if its "high" art or simple fun story. For me its about how i enjoy a story, not the grade of it. You dont have to go in english lit class to know there are different grades.

I only compare stories,authors that work in similar fields. If i read a writer who is great a certain types of story i dont read other similar type of stories that are inferior.

but you seem to contradict yourself theer - by what you said , you wouldn't read a novel because it is written by an author technically inferior to the best in that genre.

It's not really a case of knowing there are different grades , but when you have dissectected several piesces of literature over the period of 1 or 2 years , it is difficult not to do so when reading for fun afterwards

As for Wise Children , there are many layers of depth to that novel , particularly when taken into context with the works of Shakespeare - although I actually hated that story!

I read so much sometimes, that i simply cannot always read the best books of thier kind. I find no problem at all ping-ponging between a technically important or difficult work, and an easy to read, no thinking necessary type of story. Sometimes, surprisingly simple books can be very entertaining.

Short of going on a three year degree course (which might lead to scheduling problems for some of us) is there a recommended source - book(s) or website(s) - that would allow us lay-persons to understand the technical issues of writing? (Beyond grammar, that is.)

but you seem to contradict yourself theer - by what you said , you wouldn't read a novel because it is written by an author technically inferior to the best in that genre.

It's not really a case of knowing there are different grades , but when you have dissectected several piesces of literature over the period of 1 or 2 years , it is difficult not to do so when reading for fun afterwards

As for Wise Children , there are many layers of depth to that novel , particularly when taken into context with the works of Shakespeare - although I actually hated that story!

You put "technically " in my mouth.

I meant in a certain genre or type of lit, i read more the ones i enjoy most not the ones that are technically better.

Stephen King is a good example i know he isnt high level lit exactly. Sometimes his writing style is outright bad . But he is a great storyteller, i have enjoyed several of his stories.

Only writers i try to analyse is the ones i expect high level writing from. PKD level writers.

I think you should be able to read a book for what it is no matter how many years you take courses to dissect and analyse lit.

Otherwise there are many people who wouldnt enjoy the books they read ;)

You put "technically " in my mouth.

I meant in a certain genre or type of lit, i read more the ones i enjoy most not the ones that are technically better.

Stephen King is a good example i know he isnt high level lit exactly. Sometimes his writing style is outright bad . But he is a great storyteller, i have enjoyed several of his stories.

Only writers i try to analyse is the ones i expect high level writing from. PKD level writers.

I think you should be able to read a book for what it is no matter how many years you take courses to dissect and analyse lit.

Otherwise there are many people who wouldnt enjoy the books they read ;)

I agree with you about King - he's unlikely to be an author studied by students on degree courses , in the way that more 'high-brow' authors might ; but I'd rather read his books then many other more 'accomplished' writers.

Like you said he's a graet storyteller ; and that should surely be the most important factor when reading for pleasure

In short no..I enjoy literature on many different levels. Sometimes I feel like a little light reading rather like candy floss enjoyable but not very filling but suits my mood at time. Other times I prefer something a little juicier that I can sink my teeth into and makes me stop and think

I agree with you about King - he's unlikely to be an author studied by students on degree courses , in the way that more 'high-brow' authors might ; but I'd rather read his books then many other more 'accomplished' writers.

Like you said he's a graet storyteller ; and that should surely be the most important factor when reading for pleasure

Exactly and its only a bonus when a writer both give you pleasure with storytelling and his writing ability.

For example i read Edgar Allan Poe for the first time not so long ago. I was amazed by his writing. Thats a writer who is on a high level. Usually you think some classic writers are respected so highly just cause they were first on what they wrote but not in his case.

The first influence came from my parents bookcases which were loaded with classics. Also, I must give some credit to internet which broadened readers' views and access to a much wider literary world especially contemporary literature. Actual bookshops can be limited everywhere, you get to know many more modern day writers (especially those budding talents) and their works from online bookstores and forums. I think writers get much more benefits from internet than any other artists.

I don't have any prejudice when it comes to genre. Every genre has its literary merit. As long as the writing is good then it's a good book for me.

Has anything affected the choice of novel you choose to read?
Yes. i am a person that rarely reads outside Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genres (I could probably count those books with fingers to spare) however that is about the only limitation for me. Sure I think some books are better then others but there is little definite points that I can express but just a general dislike. As for High and Low literature that means nothing to me and I have found myself for example enjoying Enders Game (Orson Scott Card)just as much as Deepwater Black (Ken Catran) as I tend to change the complexity of the readings depending on my moods as sometimes I just want a light carefree read for a little bit.