boy living in underground city, told by old man/woman that surface is safe and escape

elizh

I read this book in the early eighties, it was a childrens book but I found it on my parents bookshelf (they were both teachers) and had obviously been around for a while.
As far as I can remember the world has gone to live underground as the surface is not safe any more. People live in isolation in individual cells but there is some form of communication (possibly unauthorised) with each other. Maybe they are allowed out to work but movement around is limited. Somehow a boy (I think) contacts an older person who tells them they are essentially prisoners and that they are being lied to and that people do live on the surface. He finds his way to the surface where he indeed finds that the air is breathable. He possibly has companions at this point.
This book obviously had a lasting effect on me as I often think about it, although I read quite a lot of science fiction around that time so may have got a number of stories mixed up! I tended to go for books that dealt with human interaction/emotions/communication so I'd expect this to have been a major theme in the book.
If anyone can help me out with this I'd be most grateful.

Re: boy living in underground city, told by old man/woman that surface is safe and es

There was a series of plays on BB2 Aages ago call out of the unknown - which was excellent. The plot of the book you describe sounds similar to this review. It may be nothing but worth a look

'The Machine Stops'

Re: boy living in underground city, told by old man/woman that surface is safe and es

Thank you.
I've found an online copy of The Machine Stops (EM Forster, 1909!) and I think you're right - that's it. It's a short story so I've just re-read it. I think it was published as part of a collection and that may explain why I've never been able to find it when trawling through my father's bookshelves. Must have another look when I next visit, thanks again.

That last post of mine was appalling, I'm surprised you managed to make sense of it.

The series was called 'Out of the Unknown' which at the time was the UK rival to 'The Outer Limits'. The former was more thought provoking , the latter more hide behind the settee sort of stuff. Both good though.

Anyway glad to be of help. I hadn't realised it was from so long ago. For 1909 it was pretty imaginative.

I had to read The Machine Stops as part of my class book for college. It sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Back