The Sword and the Sorcerer
Beastmaster
Hawk the Slayer
Muppet Treasure Island
Blade (I/II/III)
Van Helsing
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Scorpion King

Same here. There are very few on that list that I haven't seen. The Dark Crystal should be there though.

yup, I've seen them all (except Black Knight & Dragonslayer)

I think Frankenstein needs to be on the list to (maybe American Werewolf in London too)

Those are great suggestions. And there are several on there I would watch again in a second. In fact, I think I've seen Brave Heart about 7 times.

Same as above, seen most of them. But I could survive another vision of Excalibur. ;)

But why The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask and The Count of Monte Cristo? Great stories, but surely period pieces rather than fantasy? If they're reviewed, shouldn't it be under some other heading?

If it was up to me, I would add The Court Jester, Camelot, and Orlando to the list.

And Restoration in with the other period pieces, wherever they might go.

The same way, these :
Pirates of the Caribbean
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Braveheart
Matrix (I/II/III)
Equilibrium
Blade (I/II/III)
Van Helsing

are not fantasy films

I haven't seen the others, so I don't know whether they might have some slight fantasy element somewhere in them that I never heard about, but Pirates has living skeletons and a curse, and isn't there a witch in Prince of Thieves? That's enough to fit my broadest definition of fantasy.

Leto said:
The same way, these :
Pirates of the Caribbean
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Braveheart
Matrix (I/II/III)
Equilibrium
Blade (I/II/III)
Van Helsing

are not fantasy films

I think you'll find that they are all fantasy in one form or another... :D

The list is merely one of those that I plucked from the air that covers fantasy... Whether is be "true" fantasy or a hollywood version... And feel free to add to those... Now, all we have to do is get people to watch them, and do reviews... :D

Oh, and Dark Crystal should be there... As well as Muppets from Space... ;)

Now, get out there and watch and do a review... :D

Matrix is pure sci-fi. And equilibrium too.

If you want to add fantasy, why didn't you list Ghost inside ?

The Master™ said:
I think you'll find that they are all fantasy in one form or another... :D

The list is merely one of those that I plucked from the air that covers fantasy... Whether is be "true" fantasy or a hollywood version... And feel free to add to those... Now, all we have to do is get people to watch them, and do reviews... :D

Oh, and Dark Crystal should be there... As well as Muppets from Space... ;)

Now, get out there and watch and do a review... :D

I agree with Master. A discussion thread in regards to what does and what does not qualify as science fiction or fantasy films would make a great topic....on a different forum. Maybe Leto or someone could start the thread in the general movie board: I know I would be interested in hearing everyone's personal definations of the genre.

For here, however, it would probably be better to keep the focus on reviews. :)

Leto said:
Matrix is pure sci-fi.

Yet it has a plot straight out of archetypal epic fantasy - A nobody kid looking for answers in a world he can't make sense of, is pursued by 'dark' agents, rescued and guided by a wise older advisor, who believes he is 'the one' the oracle speaks of. Then he falls in love, turns into a god and kicks much ass.

Pure fantasy.

PenDragon said:
Yet it has a plot straight out of archetypal epic fantasy - A nobody kid looking for answers in a world he can't make sense of, is pursued by 'dark' agents, rescued and guided by a wise older advisor, who believes he is 'the one' the oracle speaks of. Then he falls in love, turns into a god and kicks much ass.

Pure fantasy.

Pure epic and "coming-of-age story", even without magical or sci-fi element.
No it's not a fantasy film, or put the Godfather on the list too.

Monty Python: Holy Grail - The Lego Version of the song 'Knights Of The Round Table' is worth a review in itself :D

My thoughts on the 13th Warrior

I think this is one of those movies that gets it right. It’s on my list of things to own. I must admit, when I saw it in the theaters when it first came out, it went over my head. I was hoping for a more fantastical movie. I really wanted the fire worm to be a real dragon. What I got instead where real slices of an imagined culture based on history. I think what the movie really had going for it was the theme of culture clash. Some of the most enjoyable moments were when the Vikings prejudged Ahmad concerning his small horse and small scimitar and he was able to make them eat their words (after he learned their words). It was nice to see them reassess their ideas of “power” i.e. brute strength vs. agility or a sword’s size vs. its sharpness.

What I didn’t know the first time I saw it was that it was a re-telling of Beowulf. I saw it again after reading Beowulf for the first time and the realization was like a peppermint axe splitting my brain. It showed how reality becomes myth when a story is passed to the next generation. I heard that the length of the movie was cut down which is unfortunate; I wonder what kind of moments were cut. I do think it could have been better, given more time to breathe, but it still had a great character that stays with me years after seeing it. Now I am tempted to read the book “Eater’s of the Dead” that the movie was based on to see what didn’t make it in.

One down!

Just watched BEOWULF and GRENDEL!!
Reminded me of the 13th Warrior...but more realistic!!
It was a sad and fascinating movie with beautiful scenery and a captivating story....based on the ancient poem of the same name...

yeah, I read a indifferent review of it but I want to see it for myself. Now I have more feul to that fire.