Stanley Kubrick RIP

MattyB

My favorite directer and arguably one of the greatest. All of my favorite movies he has directed and they have a great style to them like Dr. Strange love and Clockwork Orange. Does anyone else agree and love any Kubrick films?

He was a very good director indeed, Matty. I have still yet to watch Clockwork Orange but the only two I have seen was - Spartacus and Lolita back in 1962. I certainly prefered Spartacus, with all the action.

Why Yes, Stanley was one of the best, his list of films is quite impressive, not for the length or quantity, but the quality. Not including his early stuff.

Spartacus
Lolita
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Organe
Barry Lyndon *
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

Also half of A.I

* Barry Lyndon is the only one I haven't seen, and I have enjoyed almost all of them, AI was a bit pants, and Eyes Wide Shut wasn't great. But the others, from 2001, to The Shining, to Clockwork Orange and then Full Metal Jacket.

Actually most are great stories,

Clarke's 2001
King's Shining
Burgess' A Clockwork Orange

Who are the others by?

The Shining was good even though it was no where near the same as the book. 2001 just bored me to death. A.I was good even though he half made it.

Oh yes, a truly brilliant director. Few movies have stayed with me as long as Dr. Strangelove. 2001 is a cinematic masterpiece even if it is slow by today's standards. The Shining is great too.

Apart from Eyes Wide Shut which I thought extremely poor, I have to agree: one of the best.

Why Yes, Stanley was one of the best, his list of films is quite impressive, not for the length or quantity, but the quality. Not including his early stuff.

Spartacus
Lolita
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Organe
Barry Lyndon *
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

Also half of A.I

* Barry Lyndon is the only one I haven't seen, and I have enjoyed almost all of them, AI was a bit pants, and Eyes Wide Shut wasn't great. But the others, from 2001, to The Shining, to Clockwork Orange and then Full Metal Jacket.

Clarke's 2001
King's Shining

Who are the others by?

Clarke wrote the novel after the movie. The orginal story is a short by Clarke called "Sentinel" About a an astronaut that finds an artifact on the moon and when he touches it, it sends a signal into space

I don't think Eyes Wide Shut was a horrible movie by any means. I thought it was good film that I think deserves a second watch. Also the ritual scene was very fascinating. But yes, def not his best.

And I forgot how good Lolita was, brilliant acting all around.

My favorite directer and arguably one of the greatest. All of my favorite movies he has directed and they have a great style to them like Dr. Strange love and Clockwork Orange. Does anyone else agree and love any Kubrick films?

There are a lot of great directors but Kubrick is probably the best of the best. Wished he could have made a western. It'd be great to see how he'd compare to Sam Peckinpah and Sergio Leone. :)

I rewatch 2001 periodically just to revive the feelings again. The same with A Clockwork Orange. Listening to the soundtrack also helps. Both film were emotional rides for me. I saw both movies many years ago before the advent of CGI. The special effects in 2001 were amazing especially for 1968. There was an incredible attention to detail. I was particularly impressed by the use of a Strauss waltz during space flight instead of the normal rocket roar (sound in a vacuum). A Clockwork Orange had the same attention to detail but in a more social-psychological manner. I rewatch Dr. Strangelove every now and again, also. The Shining catches my eye if it shows up on TV. I really enjoy most of his movies.

Spartacus
Lolita
Dr Strangelove
A Clockwork Organe
Barry Lyndon *
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut

Also half of A.I

Clarke's 2001
King's Shining

Who are the others by?

Spartacus is based -- at least officially -- on Howard Fast's novel of the same name (screenplay by Dalton Trumbo, author of Johnny Got His Gun, among others)

Lolita is based on Vladimir Nabokov's novel, still considered one of the best and most controversial novels of the period.

Dr. Strangelove was based on Peter George's novel Red Alert; aka Two Hours to Doom (published as by Peter Bryant), reprinted with the movie's full title of Dr. Strangelove; or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love and Bomb.

Barry Lyndon is taken from William Makepeace Thackeray's novel, The Luck of Barry Lyndon. Thackeray is probably most noted for the novels Vanity Fair and Pendennis.

Full Metal Jacket is based on Gustav Hasford's novel The Short Timers.

Eyes Wide Shut is from Arthur Snitzler's novel Traumnovelle.

AI is based, in part, on Brian W. Aldiss' short story "Supertoys Last All Summer Long".

I remember one critic saying the most amazing thing about "Eyes Wide Shut" is that an orgy scene could be so boring.

By the middle of the movie...we'd hear that obnoxious piano plinking and it would have the whole audience chuckling. The film is ridiculous.

I liked to loved the rest of his catalogue though (haven't seen Lolita or Barry Lyndon).

I remember one critic saying the most amazing thing about "Eyes Wide Shut" is that an orgy scene could be so boring.

By the middle of the movie...we'd hear that obnoxious piano plinking and it would have the whole audience chuckling. The film is ridiculous.

I liked to loved the rest of his catalogue though (haven't seen Lolita or Barry Lyndon).

That 2 note piano thing I thought works as simplistic and probably irritating to most as it is. I'm in the minority with this film probably though.

Back