Charles Brockden Brown

Lobolover

When I picked up a copy of both the Monk and Melmoth the wanderer in one book (for ca. 25 cents) , I have read the introduction , which states that "To mention his work would be useless , for Ch. B. Brown is today mostly a literary-historical figure ."

I would like to know if anyon here has a diferent aproach ?

literary historical figure? Who is he?

One of the (though not the) earliest and most influential of American novelists:

Charles Brockden Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, Lobo, I would strongly disagree. I do agree that one should go into Brown without any particular expectations, as his work can often be a bit difficult for a modern reader to get into; the novel at that period was a rather different animal than it has been for some time now, and one has to readjust a bit to get the full rewards of such... yet at least some of Brown's novels are well worth exploring.

Wieland, despite a somewhat discursive tendency, has much of power to it even today, and some of the scenes in there remain both haunting and poignant (not to mention eerie). The Memoirs of Carwen, the Biloquist, is less interesting as a tale, though it has its own merits as the "backstory" of the character from Wieland, and as a novel of social criticism. Arthur Mervyn also has some quite powerful passages, though weakened by far too much didacticism and a rather rambling structure. The same can be said for Edgar Huntley, though it is a bit more disciplined, overall. All are flawed, all are definitely older in feel, but each of them has a fair amount to offer, I'd say.

I think for you, however, Wieland would be the main one you'd find interesting, as the bits in the others which might interest you are very slight in comparison to the rest of the material, which is likely to be anything but to your interest.

Well, have had a hankerin to read Wieland for quite some time .

I think you'll find it of interest. It does, of course, have the "naturalistic" explanation aspect to it, but nonetheless there is a great deal of eeriness and the sublime to it....

Is it literature then, like what is required to be read in Lit classes? Things like Catcher in the Rye?

I absolutely can't stand that kind of stuff, it's like reading soap operas to me. I suffered through lit class and kissed the ground when I finished the class and cried tears of joy.

While I can't stand lit I am not equating the books to those who read them I am only saying that lit, especially American lit makes me ill.

Rober Holdstock's stuff reads a lot like that to me and I can't get into his stuff at all. I tried, but ended up getting rid of the books of his I had picked up.

Geez, looking I used a lot of extra words just to ask if it is like regular American lit, sorry about that.

Last edited:
I rather thought you did, Lobo, but as my reply is in a thread likely to be read by others, giving a little context never hurts....