Dean Koontz

biodroid

A.D.D.
I must say that when I was in high school I could not get enough of Koontz and King. I preferred Koontz coz his stories were more thrilling and action packed. I think he wrote his best works in the 80's and early 90's. To get to my point the long way round, I just recently finished The Taking although it was an interesting enough story the ending was purely dissapointing. I don't know who or what happened and why it happened. Has DK lost his touch with his newer novels or should I carry on? I have The Face and my friend recommended From the Corner of his Eye, One Door Away from Heaven, Odd Thomas - the series. I know Koontz as Lightning and Phantoms, The Bad Place, Watchers, Shadowfires, Servants of the Twilight and a few other I forget. Is he still up on his throne or should I give it a miss.

I really would like to get back to reading him as I thoughly enjoyed him.

What do you guys think?

I've only read a couple of his,The Dark Place and Shattered. (The latter reminded me of the movie called Duel with Dennis Weaver about a guy being followed by someone in a truck).

I read part of Fear Nothing but ran out of steam. Just too big and the thought of having to read the follow up too. (Supposed to be a trilogy)
My other half enjoyed his Odd Thomas books which get a really good press.
Apparently Koontz started off by writing SF before turning to horror!

I went through a phase of reading Koontz. He is not my favourite writer, but he did have a lot of varied stories not tied down to any specific Genre. My particular favourites where Lightning, Twilight Eyes, Phantoms and Midnight. I haven't read any of his later stuff. Does it compare well?

Last edited:
I've read the Odd Thomas books, which I really liked and want more, and his Frankenstein books. I thought about reading some others but I'm not sure if he had other books like those two series. I'm not a big fan of horror either. Though some of the time I find horror that's really just fantasy.

Oddly enough, I didn't care for a lot of his earlier books, but really liked the Taking. I also like a few of his more recent books (say in the last 10 years) (The Light of the Moon, One Door Away From Heaven) while the last book I read by him was really poor (Your Heart Belongs to Me). He runs hot and cold and can write a really good book, and some of us may disagree on which ones are the really good books.....

I thought the Taking was a fun book. I bought a couple more of his books since I read that one (One Door Away From Heaven and another one I got about halfway through before giving up on).

Why ? Have you read his Odd Thomas books ?

They are quality works imo. Supernatural thriller alà The Dead Zone.

The Odd thomas books are brilliant, esp the first one, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them to someone who likes Koontz old stuff. Or rather, I wouldn't recommend them on account of that.

The Odd Thomas books are unlike anything Dean Koontz had written before, and if his name wasn't right there ont he cover for all to see, i wouldn't've had any idea they were written by the same author that wrote Watchers and The Bad Place....

Not that tha tis a bad thing at all. I love it when authors break out of thier own moulds and write new and different stories,. I like DK too, his old stuff and the Odd thomas books. Read them, biodroid, they're very good.

Here's a question, then.

Does Dean Koontz use writers (using his name as a pseudonym) to flog out his books? Some stories are excellent (Tick Tock and Odd Thomas series bubble to the top) whilst a few of the others just don't seem to make the grade.

And his writing and politics seem to have changed somewhat since I first caught him in the eighties . . . only natural, I suppose - but still - are the clues there? Or is this a far-fetched conspiracy?

I always thought of him as the poor mans Stephen King. His stories were mostly all the same and less about horror or supernatural horror and more about science or genetics as the villian. At times they too preachy and far too black and white. The villians are all Evil with a capital E, with no redeaming features and his Heroes are all squeeky clean (Odd Thomas takes great joy in constantly telling you he's a virgin who has no vices.)

Of the few that i've read some of them were just plain awful (Odd Thomas), but most of them were a quick uncomplicated reads that passed the time.

I wouldn't go out my way to buy one though.

Far too black and white ? Did you read the ending of Odd Thomas ??

Heh when i read him i thought he was a talented prose writer version of Stephen King. Sure they work in similar fields. But Koontz can write no matter the quality of his old books. I wouldnt call SK a good writer in that vien but a storyteller of talent.

Obviously, Koontz is often compared (Somewhat unfairly i think) to Stephen King. Have any of Koontz's novels been filmed?

He is a popular author, but i cannot recall a single film release.

Obviously, Koontz is often compared (Somewhat unfairly i think) to Stephen King.

I also think it's unfair to compare Koontz to King as they are in leagues of their own. SK is more of a academic where DK I think is more geared toward getting the story across without the frilly writing that SK writes. I like both but for different reasons. DK takes you on a rollercoaster where SK holds your hand and leads you into the dark cellar and then leaves you there with all things that go bump in the night.

Obviously, Koontz is often compared (Somewhat unfairly i think) to Stephen King. Have any of Koontz's novels been filmed?

He is a popular author, but i cannot recall a single film release.

Dean R. Koontz

yes, actaully, quite a few - although, I'm not sure any have translated that well onto the screen

Leonard Maltin gives DEMON SEED three and a half stars.

The only Koontz I've read is an Ace Double: DARK OF THE WOODS; SOFT COME THE DRAGONS. Not great but enjoyable.