Untitled Sci-Fi Story - Pretty Short So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyK

Ugistered Reser
Started writing as a child about stuffed toys, leg
Here follows the first part of the first chapter I've written for my story. It's not very long because I've been very busy at work and don't get much time to work on it but since I worked out the beginnings of a plot I thought I'd get a start and then post it here to see where I need to improve. I'm after the works please! Any punctuation, grammar and writing styles **** ups (I expect there'll be a few) I want to know about them.

If it makes it any easier to analyse it, I tend to find writing dialogue a lot easier so I seem to end up writing most of the dialogue and then going back to write any descriptive bits.

Any way, I offer it to you to pick apart, it's not a lot so far but I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter One

“Dammit, Luce! It feels like that laser blast from the Zargon battle cruiser just knocked out the aft deflectors!” yelled Tim as he pitched the ship into a double roll and underneath the next barrage of fire.

“What’s a Zargon battle cruiser?” Replied Lucy. “And how many times do I have to tell you, space ships don’t fire lasers. This isn’t the future, you know.”

“Maybe not for you!”

Tim piloted the Peach Princess, their moderately-sized freighter skilfully between the dogfighting ships, as much to his own amazement as to that of anyone else on the crew. A star fighter silently exploded in a brief orange bloom as the small amount of oxygen was consumed in it’s fiery demise and two more ships zoomed by so close that he could make out the intense expressions on the pilots’ faces.

“Fair enough, but you also mentioned something about shields, which cargo freighters don’t have. Plus, those ‘Zargons’ of yours aren’t even firing at us, they certainly didn’t hit us.”

“Well what made the ship go all shaky like that then?”

“The only thing shaky around here is your piloting. Did you forget about the horizontal stabilisers again? Now get us out of this fight and back on course. If you want to see a space battle so badly then just watch that Space Wars film of yours. Stop flying into them whenever you see them.”

“It’s called Star Wars actually. I can’t believe you’ve never heard of it!”

“Why would I have heard of it? When did you say it was made, the twentieth century? How many seven hundred year old films have you seen recently?”

She had a point. Being inexplicably transported six hundred years into the future left Tim with many concerns but strangely, none bothered him quite as much as the fact that his once dazzling repertoire of pop culture quotes and references were now about as well received as his constant questions about all manner of ‘futuristic’ technology that had yet to be invented.

“There, I found the paddles, we are officially out of s**t creek.” Said Tim as he made a few final course adjustments and took his hands off the controls.

“Stop talking like that!” snapped Lucy.

“What, the swearing? You’re thirteen. ‘S**t’ isn’t too taboo for you is it?”

“No, I mean the phrases. The stupid twenty-second century phrases you come out with. You sound so old fashioned. Just say we’re out of trouble or something normal.”

“I can’t help it, I’ve only been here a few months. I’ll adjust, just give me some time. What was that back there any way? Some sort of inter-stellar civil war?”

“I don’t know what that was and I don’t really care, it was nothing to do with us. Probably some pirates or bandits or something like that. As long as they’re behind us and not following I’m happy.”

The usual quiet calm returned to the flight deck which included the distant, slow and somehow warm thrumming of the engines and an extraneous clattering sound from somewhere below deck that was so intermittent that Tim never seemed able to fully relax. Lucy, however, could sleep like a baby on the deck should she ever decide to do so, having lived her entire short life on the Peach Princess. She loved the background noises of the ship as much as any other bit of it, especially since her father had caved in after months of her begging to change the name of it from Camalus’ Hammer. This was when she was just five years old and even then it was more of a home to her than anywhere else in the solar system. Now she was getting older she was beginning to regret her choice of name but since her father’s sudden disappearance the previous year she resolved to keep it, partly due to her fears that she would never see him again.

Hey MattyK. I like this, I think that the whole idea of a modern man (Tim) being put in a futuristic setting is very cool. I also like the humor. There is one thing I noticed, though, that I think you may want to take a look at.

It could just be me, but when you say:

What’s a Zargon battle cruiser?” Replied Lucy. “And how many times do I have to tell you, space ships don’t fire lasers. This isn’t the future, you know.
It throws me off a bit. At first I'm thinking that he's in space, but then Lucy says "This isn't the future, you know." Right after that I get it into my head that Tim and Lucy are not in the future (relative to us), and I begin to think that Tim is imagining the entire encounter. Of course, once I continue reading I can see that this is not the case, but it still interrupts the flow. Hope it helps. :)

The usual quiet calm returned to the flight deck which included the distant, slow and somehow warm thrumming of the engines and an extraneous clattering sound from somewhere below deck that was so intermittent that Tim never seemed able to fully relax. Lucy, however, could sleep like a baby on the deck should she ever decide to do so, having lived her entire short life on the Peach Princess. She loved the background noises of the ship as much as any other bit of it, especially since her father had caved in after months of her begging to change the name of it from Camalus’ Hammer. This was when she was just five years old and even then it was more of a home to her than anywhere else in the solar system. Now she was getting older she was beginning to regret her choice of name but since her father’s sudden disappearance the previous year she resolved to keep it, partly due to her fears that she would never see him again.
that's a fair amount of explanation dumped into one paragraph, Mr K. kinda derails the pace of the tale - the rest is pretty punchy, if overly dialogue driven (though that's just my preference). perhaps we can learn a bit more about the characters and where they are or going, and feed some of the backstory in as part of that?

Thanks Chopper. That paragraph just sort of flowed out that way, I'll try to break it up because from there I was going to go into more detail about Lucy's father and his disappearance (would have managed it too, but the stupid opera at work finished and I had to go destroy the set with a sledge hammer...which was fun too!).

The backstory I was thinking of writing in independent paragraphs later on. One for Tim's arrival in the future (probably not a very long one as I'm thinking at the moment I'm not going to explain how he's actually time travelled...because I don't know how he has!) and then another for how he meets up with Lucy (already have some ideas for that).

As for padding out the dialogue, I know it needs doing but I didn't want to disrupt the pace of the action at the start (not that it lasts overly long) so I figured there was only so much I could add. I'll work on that though. There is actually another character (sort of...I think!) on the bridge that I could have introduced but I decided that would interrupt the flow a but much so I'm going to save him just a bit longer.

Any way, thanks again!

ooh, opera! classical music ruined by shouting!

lyceum, i'm guessing. how's the crucible refurb going?

Having taken your comments on board and written a fair bit more (up to about 1,200 words now), am I better updating my original post with the new stuff or should I just post the whole thing in a new post? Being very ne wto the forums I don't want to get it all wrong and look silly!

I'm unclear on the concept. Is the hero some kind of Walter Mitty character who was thrown 700 years into the future and flies a merchant spaceship through a space battle with pirates, but doesn't think that's interesting enough so he pretends he's actually fighting the battle when he's not?

I'm unclear on the concept. Is the hero some kind of Walter Mitty character who was thrown 700 years into the future and flies a merchant spaceship through a space battle with pirates, but doesn't think that's interesting enough so he pretends he's actually fighting the battle when he's not?

Not quite (although I've never heard of Walter Mitty so that might might be right!). He is indeed thrust 600 years into the future (from his perspective, as he's from 2178) and as will be explained later on, is hired to pilot this ship by the girl as she's too young for anyone to take her seriously if she tries to do it herself.

As for the battle, that was just an idea I had to start the story with a bit of action (also thought it might be fun to start it with, what could possibly be considered to be, the worst openong line for a story I could think of!). I saw it as him having flown close to or into it to see what was happening and then getting a bit scared when the blasts started getting too close and the ship shook (as a result of him forgetting to do something flying-wise, as opposed to getting hit). He's just blurting out what he thinks is happening which is why he confuses Lucy and she corrects him.

I don't think I'd expect anyone to fully understand exactly what's going on at this point. I was going to reveal the full backstories of Tim and Jenny in flashback chapters later on. Do you think I need to explain more now to avoid confusion?

Aoratos - Sorry, just realised I never replied to your post.

It could just be me, but when you say:

"What’s a Zargon battle cruiser?” Replied Lucy. “And how many times do I have to tell you, space ships don’t fire lasers. This isn’t the future, you know.

It throws me off a bit. At first I'm thinking that he's in space, but then Lucy says "This isn't the future, you know." Right after that I get it into my head that Tim and Lucy are not in the future (relative to us), and I begin to think that Tim is imagining the entire encounter. Of course, once I continue reading I can see that this is not the case, but it still interrupts the flow. Hope it helps. :)

Being this early on, I thought this would be a hook for the reader as Tim's immediate reply is “Maybe not for you!” which shows that he is obviously from Lucy's past.

Hope that answers everyone's questions. If there are ways I could get these ides across more easily I'm open to suggestions!

“Dammit, Luce! It feels like that laser blast from the Zargon battle cruiser just knocked out the aft deflectors!” yelled Tim as he pitched the ship into a double roll and underneath the next barrage of fire.

I don't want to sound disparaging by picking up on something right at the start, but I have to say, to me, this is a very wordy opening line. There's quite a lot of technical jargon thrown in, and I'm immediately overwhelmed by it. Could you try and find another line to open with? Something short and snappy that still manages to set the scene, then put this line in?

Just a couple of quick points - is the Peach Princess an intentional reference to Mario Brothers, because I can't help but immediately make that connection? It also makes it a little hard to take it seriously though, and took me out of the story quite a bit :s.

Some of the dialogue is also a little unclear as to who is speaking - don't be afraid of using "said".

Keep working on it :)

I don't want to sound disparaging by picking up on something right at the start, but I have to say, to me, this is a very wordy opening line. There's quite a lot of technical jargon thrown in, and I'm immediately overwhelmed by it. Could you try and find another line to open with? Something short and snappy that still manages to set the scene, then put this line in?

Hmm...kinda had my heart set on that as the opening line (I know I shouldn't do things like that!). Gonna have to think long and hard about that one!

is the Peach Princess an intentional reference to Mario Brothers, because I can't help but immediately make that connection? It also makes it a little hard to take it seriously though, and took me out of the story quite a bit

Yeesh! How'd I not spot that!? You're quite right, that's gotta go!

Some of the dialogue is also a little unclear as to who is speaking - don't be afraid of using "said".

I hadn't noticed that but then I suppose that's one of the problems a writer will face. When you know automatically in your head who is saying what line you wont trip up over it as much as someone else reading it. I read recently (probably on this forum, actually) that you can never overuse the word 'said'. I'll go back and look at that. Thanks for the remarks!

A star fighter silently exploded in a brief orange bloom as the small amount of oxygen was consumed in it’s fiery demise and two more ships zoomed by so close that he could make out the intense expressions on the pilots’ faces.
This sentence is too long.
Being inexplicably transported six hundred years into the future left Tim with many concerns but strangely, none bothered him quite as much as the fact that his once dazzling repertoire of pop culture quotes and references were now about as well received as his constant questions about all manner of ‘futuristic’ technology that had yet to be invented.
The usual quiet calm returned to the flight deck which included the distant, slow and somehow warm thrumming of the engines and an extraneous clattering sound from somewhere below deck that was so intermittent that Tim never seemed able to fully relax.

It's hard to follow your story because you have two or three ideas in each sentence. A sentence should have one idea and then stop with a period.

Status
Not open for further replies.