Issac: Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Precise Calibre

Storywright
I posted an excerpt from my book's prologue a long time ago. Having rewritten it almost completely, I am inclined to post a short segment of it here to test opinions of its over-all tone, flow and appeal. Any and all comments are welcome. Please note that the whole prologue is over fifteen pages long and I am currently in the process of pruning it to the right size. This is the tail-end of it.

[Previous Action Available Upon Request]

He awoke with a start and sat up sharply, thrashing wildly around him with the sword which had stayed miraculously in his grasp. The moment of disorientation passed and he glanced around furtively from his place on the ground. Smoke was hanging heavily in the air.

His left arm twinged as if he had dipped it in scalding water; he held it up to examine in the flickering firelight and found it ragged, singed and bloody. Isaac was sure that it simply appeared worse than it truly was. He turned around slowly when the fire's warmth on his back finally registered; he spied a squat behemoth of a tree across from him in the small clearing, steadily burning, keeping away the darkness of the deep woods. Oddly, the fire had not spread to the surrounding area.

Upon the trunk of the unfortunate giant, Isaac could see that someone had long ago carved symbols into the flesh of its smooth bark. They were slowly burning away into the night as the fire consumed the tree. He could sense something hanging in the air besides the smoke, something old and powerful.

He unsteadily regained his feet and tried to shake the cobwebs from of his head. Memory of the things which stalked him hurtled back to him at that very instant, causing his fist to tighten around the sword's handle. He spun around wildly, his eyes darting to every shadow in the woods beyond the clearing. They would be after him soon, he knew and this time they would not fail - he was out of tricks. He was wounded and disoriented. They had the numbers whereas he was alone. And those arms with their claws, like Waltzen had said, so fast...

By comparison, the blade in his hand seemed like a toy – he seriously doubted he'd get a swing in if they came for him, especially now. A tight knot had worked its way down his throat and seemed to be making itself at home in his chest – every shadow dancing outside of the firelight was now a possible enemy, every blot of black that swam across his vision, a potential threat. He was jumping at nothing, at everything.

The sound once again came forth from the depths of the forest to greet him, as if invited by his frayed nerves, his doubt. The tree behind him burned slowly, the lazy fire consuming it with a strange, almost sluggish nonchalance. He could hear them coming again, with deliberate, slow care as if they dared not approach too quickly this time. They were being cautious, were going to play it safe with him before coming in to devour him. He steeled himself for the last time against his failing courage, and held the sword in front of himself defensively. He glanced up at the sky where Vusahlia's globe was still hidden behind the clouds and uttered a prayer to the goddess of the same name, beseeching her for a way out, for salvation.

As he stood his ground, arm quivering, sword in hand, the fire behind him burned slowly to a dull glow, unable to devour the imbued tree completely. Shafts of amber light winkled down through the clouds as Vusahlia attempted to break through one last time. In the trees ahead, Isaac saw shapes moving towards him, long arms leading the way for squat forms, obscured by shadow.

The howl picked up pitch once again, that same triumphant song from before. As the first of the things broke the tree line with a casual pace, darkness washed over the clearing – The amber light of the moon was smothered by clouds which mercilessly covered her face – With his head reeling, Isaac gazed blindly into the deepest of the shadows and knew that, with the darkness, so too approached his end.

I like it, though some of the background is unclear to me for obvious reasons.

So. About the flow. I'd suggest to skim most of the adverbs out: there's a lot of them, especially in the beginning; some like 'slowly' are repeated too many times, others are unnecessary (he wakes up with a start, so the movement is already pictured as 'sharp' in the reader's mind). Your vocabulary isn't lacking at all, so don't worry about stressing :)

Since you like descriptive prose a lot, you can simply let the narrative set the tempo. When necessary, you can speed up the pace by simply shortening the description to a few brush-strokes of what's happening. This would balance the reading a bit: though I love reading long descriptive passages, I must admit that some may not like it.

Adverbs are my weakness...

I'll work on cutting some of them from the team when I get home from work :p

Thanks for the reply!

He awoke with a start and sat up, thrashing wildly around him with the sword which had stayed miraculously in his grasp. The moment of disorientation passed and he glanced around from his place on the ground. Smoke was hanging heavily in the air.

His left arm twinged as if he had dipped it in scalding water; he held it up to examine in the firelight and found it ragged and bloody. Isaac was sure that it simply appeared worse than it truly was. He turned around when the fire's warmth on his back finally registered; he spied a squat behemoth of a tree across from him in the clearing, steadily burning, keeping away the darkness of the deep woods. Oddly, the fire had not spread to the surrounding area.

Upon the trunk of the giant, Isaac could see that someone had long ago carved symbols into the flesh of its bark. They were slowly burning away into the night as the fire consumed the tree. He could sense something hanging in the air besides the smoke, something old and powerful.

He unsteadily regained his feet and tried to shake the cobwebs from of his head. Memory of the things which stalked him hurtled back to him at that very instant, causing his fist to tighten around the sword's handle. He spun around, his eyes darting to every shadow in the woods beyond the clearing. They would be after him soon, he knew; this time they would not fail - he was out of tricks. He was wounded and disoriented. They had the numbers whereas he was alone. And those arms with their claws, like Waltzen had said, so fast...

By comparison, the blade in his hand seemed like a toy – he seriously doubted he'd get a swing in if they came for him, especially now. A tight knot had worked its way down his throat and seemed to be making itself at home in his chest – every shadow dancing outside of the firelight was now a possible enemy, every blot of black that swam across his vision, a potential threat. He was jumping at nothing, at everything.

The sound once again came forth from the depths of the forest to greet him, as if invited by his frayed nerves, his doubt. The tree behind him burned slowly, the lazy fire consuming it with a strange, almost sluggish nonchalance. He could hear them coming again, with deliberate, slow care as if they dared not approach too quickly this time. They were being cautious, were going to play it safe with him before coming in to devour him. He steeled himself for the last time against his failing courage, and held the sword in front of himself defensively. He glanced up at the sky where Vusahlia's globe was still hidden behind the clouds and uttered a prayer to the goddess of the same name, beseeching her for a way out, for salvation.

As he stood his shaky ground, the fire behind him burned slowly to a dull glow, unable to devour the imbued tree completely. Shafts of amber light winkled down through the clouds as Vusahlia attempted to break through one last time. In the trees ahead, Isaac saw shapes moving towards him, long arms leading the way for squat forms, obscured by shadow.

The howl picked up pitch once again, that same triumphant song from before. As the first of the things broke the tree line with a casual pace, darkness washed over the clearing – The amber light of the moon was smothered by clouds which mercilessly covered her face – Isaac gazed blindly into the deepest of the shadows and knew that, with the darkness, so too approached his end.

I deleted a few of the adverbs in my previous entry. Probably not enough, but I'm giving it a try to see what others think before pulling out a larger axe. Some notes of interest to clarify points of the excerpt. These points would already have been obvious from the full prologue.

1. Vusahlia is one of three moons orbiting the world of Ostnii.

2. Isaac is a member of the Royal Conservation Corps - an organization akin to the Wildlife Conservation departments of many countries. They generally protect against poachers, gangs of bandits and illegal lumber trafficing within the forest of Nachtwood.

3. The story takes places in the forest known as Nachtwood, which is part of the Kingdom of Sebolg. It is Isaac's native land.

4. Before this point, Isaac and his squad of rangers have been stalked through the forest by a large swarm of creatures whom they have seen only glimpses of. At this stage, Isaac is the only survivor and has only lasted this long thanks to his abilities and the intervention of a strange device he was loaned by the Royal Engineer's society - basically a gas-powered torch which doubles as a one-shot blunderbuss in extreme emergencues.

5. If anyone wants to read the full prologue, I can make it available to them in any number of formats.

I don't have anything terribly useful to say, just some very vague opinions:
I suspect that reading the entire prologue will build tension for this part. This is mostly a piece of mood and tension, but I find it difficult to say much about how you develop and use those two, since you lay the groundwork in the preceding parts of the prologue.
With that in mind, all I can say is I think your writing is good, that the piece read easily and flowed well. I thought you did well to build atmosphere towards the end of the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.