Motivations for evil

Another interesting read is The Authoritarians [PDF]. This is what makes an Evil Overlord. But the most interesting part is not the authoritarian but his followers, who seem willing to follow him simply because he is an authoritative figure. And this is not a handful of followers, or even a few hundred, but thousands. This is why evil can rule a country.

Evil is a viewpoint, arguably, not an absolute. It's one end of a moral scale and that scale depends on the audience. Or collections of audiences, over a geographical and temporal span.

Why would a person do something evil?

a) they choose to, because it's evil (malice, sadism)
b) they choose to, despite it being evil (end justifies the means)
c) they choose their actions, not accepting that it's evil (moral ambiguity)
d) they choose their actions, not knowing/understanding/realising that it's evil (mental illness, poor education, abused themselves as children)
e) the "evil" actions are not deliberate but are accidental or side-effects of what was intended
f) their actions themselves are not controlled (Is murder evil? At least one man has been found not guilty of murder by reason of documented sleep-walking)

Many of the options have sub-reasons, examples and, up to a point, justifications. If you want more detail, let me know.

Find him/her within yourself - something terrible you might have been if things had been different. Then flesh them out, make them real and interesting, and let them loose into your story. You know you've got it right because you have at least one sleepless night after giving birth to them.

Here is a simple set of steps that one might find useful for certain instances of "evil".

1) Think of a goal for your character

2) How would you reach that goal?

3) What ethics identify your character?

4) How would someone with those different ethics reach that goal?

5) How would they react to obstacles in their way?

If you follow this simple setup, you can come up with some interesting scenarios for your characters just by putting yourself in their shoes.

Actually, Cayal, you could do what I've done with my so-called "evil" characters and make them seem evil, but when one digs deeper, they're merely insane. But a character (or reader) would have to dig VERY deep to figure that out. (As in, to figure out that said "evil" character could actually be diagnosed with a mental disorder of some sort.) Good and evil are actually relative-it often comes down to a matter of opinion of ends justifying the means and intentions. And even those who perform acts that are generally universally recognized as evil at a glance, why, even that is relative. (And don't forget either, Cayal-characters can turn from good to evil and vice versa. Darth Vader is actually a prime example of such.)

Motivations, though.....in the general cliche of SF/F, it's that an evil character simply wants to "rule with world/galaxy/universe with an iron fist". Too cliche. Vengeance can be another cliche, but it can be a GOOD one. Vengeance is never corny, unlike powermongering can be. It's a believable, sympathetic stance, tried, but true.

And some might say, "But Karn.....what about YOUR opinion on evil for evil's sake? Others have expressed theirs!" My opinion on evil merely for evil's sake? It can be very tricky to pull it off in a flavorful way. Cold, calculating, chaosmongering characters (Try saying THAT ten times! :p) can often be very dark, very scary, and draw a reader in-or so laughably cheesy that you'd leave the book to a mouse. (And no offense to yesterday's birthday girl with that username.) Evil for evil's sake.....try to steer clear unless you know what you're doing.

There are other motivations, but I'm simply too tired tonight to list them. The ones I personally stick to are vengeance (Both truly justified and not) and upsets from mental disorders (which can possibly excuse a character's personality, but not their actions). But the human imagination is as vast as the endless universe itself, and new ideas spring to mind every minute. It's ultimately up to you to decide what drives your characters, but don't write them in a way that they won't ever capture your readers. Characters are, in many ways, (actually in most) the most important aspect of a story. They drive the plot, they have their individual quirks and personalities that a reader can get in tune with, or speculate on, or even shake their heads at in disgust or awe as they devour your words. But characters NEED characterization, and if you're not satisfied with something, then change it. All decisions are, ultimately, yours, and your imagination is your imagination. Also attempt to write the backstory of your world and write in your environment before you start tackling characters. And also, even in fantasy, do not rule out medical advances of sorts, especially in that of diagnostics. It can add quite a quirk to one's world that can explain a character's actions well enough to make them believable, and yet possibly be just obscure enough to stir primal instinct emotions in the reader that forces such an audience to continue through the pages. Thoughts such as, "Oh, he's a dark lord, and he wants taxes and slaves" tends to be a yawner for most people these days, and yet they are still the most common form of ultimate evil character. People are starting to ask, "WHY are they like this, though? Their motivation for performing evil deeds is to gain ultimate power, but WHY do they want that power? Especially if they already have so much power they don't truly need it?" It's at times like that that a given mental disorder can answer those questions, and give the character their own......unique aspect that others don't share, give the audience something fresh and new.

The problem is that evil often depends on where you're standing.

Your protagonist may be trying to meld a tribal society into a modern nation-state to face an external threat that could obliterate all of his people. The process will still make enemies who'll call him evil.

I guess when I speak of evil and logic, I can't see why John wants the power of former Dark Lord to rule over the Kingdom of Evildom.

However I can see the reasons in wanting that power so it might returns a loved one and he does whatever he deems necessary for it to be done.

The problem is that evil often depends on where you're standing.

I disagree with that statement. The difference between evil and good is that evil judge their victims by different criteria than they do themselves. Their victims deserve what they got because of what they are. They are less than human. But they are also not animals. Animals are innocent since they have never achieved being human. Their victims are degenerate humans; they have fallen from grace. And because of that alone, they deserve what they got.

I disagree with that statement. The difference between evil and good is that evil judge their victims by different criteria than they do themselves. Their victims deserve what they got because of what they are. They are less than human. But they are also not animals. Animals are innocent since they have never achieved being human. Their victims are degenerate humans; they have fallen from grace. And because of that alone, they deserve what they got.
The problem you'll run into with your take on evil as a whole is that you assume that someone who is "evil" victimizes people as a conscious habit. There are some sadistic individuals, yes, but not all "evil" people will pursue this ideal.

As they said, it all depends on where you stand. During the American Civil War, general Sherman was seen by both sides in very different ways. By the Northerners, he was seen as a hero who had the guts to take the fight to the South in a way to push them back and make them pay, by the Southerners, he was seen as a monster who had no scruples and sought only destruction for destruction's sake.

In his own mind, he was doing what needed to be done. The end justifies the means...

I am trying to think of a reason why my main antagonist is evil. What is driving him to want to do the evil deeds he will do.
Why does he want to rule the world? Or summon the underworld or evil Gods or gain their power? Or whatever it is I decide he is truly evil.

I have everything planned out, except the main reason why he is truly evil and what drives him.
I know it isn't personal, and I can grasp the reasoning for personal evil (eg revenge). But I just can't get the concept of why someone wants to rule the world, what purpose does all knowing power get you?

Can an antagonist just be plain crazy?
But does your main antagonist have to be evil at all?

He may see summoning underworld gods to gain their power as, on balance, good. If they have that power, far better that a mortal controls it. And who better than your antagonist? He thinks he knows what he's doing and goodness knows who else (soneone who may be evil) may get that control.

And once he has that power, he may think it should be used, perhaps to do something he sees as being good. Perhaps he makes the odd mistake; perhaps there are innocent victims. But now the power has been unleashed, he's bound to it: bound by the fear that someone else will get control of it. That eventuality must be stopped: to fail may lead to disaster. And the iunderworld gods may also seek to gain control. He must be strong. There must be no distractions from his quest to save the world.

And so it goes on....

Well I have actually decided the use my main antagonist as someone who may be seen as doing evil but his motivations for it may not be seen as evil.

I am trying to think of a reason why my main antagonist is evil. What is driving him to want to do the evil deeds he will do.
Why does he want to rule the world? Or summon the underworld or evil Gods or gain their power? Or whatever it is I decide he is truly evil.

I have everything planned out, except the main reason why he is truly evil and what drives him.
I know it isn't personal, and I can grasp the reasoning for personal evil (eg revenge). But I just can't get the concept of why someone wants to rule the world, what purpose does all knowing power get you?

Can an antagonist just be plain crazy?

Yes... I think so. If someone wants to rule the world with help of evil... then yes, plain crazy or just overly power-hungry. No death of a beloved one or simular could EVER make someone just change into that so quickly, those kind of deaths only cause one to sometimes become "evil" in a smaller scale and in a shorter period of time... not to want to rule the entire world.

The problem you'll run into with your take on evil as a whole is that you assume that someone who is "evil" victimizes people as a conscious habit. There are some sadistic individuals, yes, but not all "evil" people will pursue this ideal.

As they said, it all depends on where you stand. During the American Civil War, general Sherman was seen by both sides in very different ways. By the Northerners, he was seen as a hero who had the guts to take the fight to the South in a way to push them back and make them pay, by the Southerners, he was seen as a monster who had no scruples and sought only destruction for destruction's sake.

In his own mind, he was doing what needed to be done. The end justifies the means...

Not necessarily habit but conscious thought.

That would not be the example I would choose to prove the point that good and end depend on where you're standing. Sherman call his actions a "hard war." The northerns, the ones who benefited the most from his actions, called them "controversial." Neither is an unqualified good, which is what one would expect if the only criteria was how much they gained or lost.

If the end justifies the means then why didn't his contemporaries at the time give him a resounding endorsement?

Nobody is motivated to do evil. No one considers himself to be evil. Even the most depraved sociopath will try to justify his actions.

So the realistic villain does not believe he is the villain. He is the hero of his own story. He has goals and he does what he needs to do to obtain those goals.

Good goals for a villain are enormous wealth and/or enormous power. A villain who wants these things will be motivated to do what it takes to get them. The villain will remove all obstacles between him and what he wants. The difference between a villain and a non-villain is how far he is willing to go to get what he wants. A villain is willing to hurt people to get what he wants. A villain is willing to lie, cheat and steal to get what he wants. A non-villain may be just as ambitious, but restrained by a personal moral code from taking the easiest path to get what he wants.

An interesting version of a villain is one that does have a personal code of ethics, a line he is unwilling to cross. Perhaps he is unwilling to hurt children, or unwilling to con the elderly out of their life savings. An occasional "pet the dog" moment will make a villain more human. A villain that is totally bad is less interesting.

The most dangerous villain is not out for himself. He wants to make the world a better place for humanity, or he serves some religious or political cause. Such a villain is more fanatical, and is willing to die for his beliefs. Because he believes in something higher than himself, he is more easily persuaded that his evil acts are justified. Such a villain will have no mercy, even with women and children.