Anne Bishop

Ronsworth

Mentally Unbalanced User
So I've searched and can't seem to find any mentions of the author or her works.

For those unaware of what she writes here is a listing...

Black Jewels Trilogy

Daughter of the Blood
Heir to the Shadows
Queen of the Darkness
Black Jewels Omnibus

Other Black Jewels Novels

Dreams Made Flesh
Tangled Webs

The Invisible Ring
The Shadow Queen
Shalador's Lady

Landscapes of Ephemenra

Sebastian
Belladonna

World of the Fae

The Pillars of the World
Shadows and Light
The House of Gaian

(you can find out more info on her personal website. I'd link it but apparently I don't have enough posts lol.)

I've read all the Black Jewels novels except the last two Shadow Queen and Shalador's Lady. I've also read the first in the Ephemera duo.

Anyone else?

I have also read the Black Jewels trilogy and the other related books to that set. They were very good. For some reason though I found it difficult to get into the World of Fae books.

I have also read the Black Jewels trilogy and the other related books to that set. They were very good. For some reason though I found it difficult to get into the World of Fae books.

I have yet to pick up any of her World of the Fae series. I've heard good reviews for the most part so I'm hoping I'll like it. I definitely like everything else I've read so far.

Though, I will say, do we find that there is a bit too much humour in her more recent Black Jewels books? I'm not quite sure but as of late they seem to have a different feel. I'm thinking it's the increase in humour. Moving the series a bit away from the "Dark Fantasy" category Anne Bishop likes to put her books in.

Has anyone felt the same?

I've read all her Black Jewels books as well. I think she's a great writer. Interesting characters, world, realms, magic system, story. I have to agree that the latest books do have a different feel to them than the trilogy did. I almost thought about not reading the last two due to the new characters and such. I'm glad I did though. They both had a very interesting story. It was also nice to have most of the old characters all worked in from time to time.

I really do hope that at some point she writes another more serious trilogy about all the old characters. And while I did enjoy Tangled Webs, it really was quite a bit silly...Though I still don't mind reading about the Black Jewels world even then.

But yeah, I recommend reading Shadow Queen and Shalador's Lady. The new characters story was very good in my opinion. I had put off reading The Invisible Ring since it was not directly related to the Black Jewels trilogy. But that was of course another good read.

I haven't read any of her other series though. What I've read about them and reviews doesn't sound like it's really for me. But maybe I'll check them out as some point.

I read the first book and I couldn't get past the first 70 pages. I felt my mind numbing, literally.

I recall reading the Black Jewels Trilogy some while back and they were quite good.

Never read beyond there though.....

I read the first book and I couldn't get past the first 70 pages. I felt my mind numbing, literally.

I don't know if I'd call my experience with the beginning of the first book "mind numbing" hehe but I do remember struggling a bit to get through the first 50 pages or so. Once I did though something clicked and I was hooked.

I've only read her World of Fae books and LOVED them! Haven't tried the Black Jewels books yet, but I've heard good things.

Ive reviewed some of her books on my blog. She is one of my favourite author and Im still following the Dark Jewel series :D

Looks like I'm resurrecting a long dormant thread here:

I've just finished reading my first Anne Bishop series - THE COURTYARD OF THE OTHERS series.

Wow! She is seriously talented and the first urban/paranormal fantasy author I've read who handles the romance in the story in a low-key, slow-burning, and genuinely organic way.

The male protagonist respects the female protagonist and he also understands the concept of consent while being super-patient with helping her through her PTSD. There is no stealing kisses or putting pressure on the female protagonist to respond romantically or sexually. This is a rare breed indeed in terms of urban fantasy male protagonists/love interests because we usually see the whole "sweep her off her feet" trope and "forbidden love" trope and "lust took over and drove all common sense out" trope.

Also: no love triangle - HOORAY! And the romance is not even a major story strand... which is refreshing!

@Juliana

Last edited: