Hugo nominees worldcon 2010

GOLLUM

*NB Temporary notice for next 2 months.

VOTING FOR THE HUGO AWARDS 2010 ENDS 31 July 2010 23:59 PDT

Hi all,

I've just posted a heads up (Conventions & Events section) on the Hugo Nominees & Ballot Process for this year's WorldCon, September 2 - 6, right here in Melbourne Yeh!...:)

As the Hugos are a fairly prominent award I felt it would be of some interest to members here if I were to post them.

Details on voting etc. may be found here:

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/527662-worldcon-2010-hugo-nomniees-ballots-etc.html#post1394280

Cheers.

BEST NOVEL

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
The City & The City by China Miéville
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson
Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente
Wake by Robert J. Sawyer
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

BEST NOVELLA

"Act One" by Nancy Kress
The God Engines by John Scalzi
"Palimpsest" by Charles Stross
Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow
"Vishnu at the Cat Circus" by Ian McDonald
The Women of Nell Gwynne's by Kage Baker

BEST NOVELETTE

"Eros, Philia, Agape" by Rachel Swirsky
"The Island" by Peter Watts
"It Takes Two" by Nicola Griffith
"One of Our Bastards is Missing" by Paul Cornell
"Overtime" by Charles Stross
"Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast" by Eugie Foster

BEST SHORT STORY

"The Bride of Frankenstein" by Mike Resnick
"Bridesicle" by Will McIntosh
"The Moment" by Lawrence M. Schoen
"Non-Zero Probabilities" by N.K. Jemisin
"Spar" by Kij Johnson

BEST RELATED WORK

Canary Fever: Reviews by John Clute
Hope-In-The-Mist: The Extraordinary Career and Mysterious Life of Hope Mirrlees by Michael Swanwick
The Inter-Galactic Playground: A Critical Study of Children's and Teens' Science Fiction by Farah Mendlesohn
On Joanna Russ edited by Farah Mendlesohn
The Secret Feminist Cabal: A Cultural History of SF Feminisms by Helen Merrick
This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is "I") by Jack Vance

BEST GRAPHIC STORY

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? Written by Neil Gaiman; Pencilled by Andy Kubert; Inked by Scott Williams
Captain Britain And MI13. Volume 3: Vampire State Written by Paul Cornell; Pencilled by Leonard Kirk with Mike Collins, Adrian Alphona and Ardian Syaf
Fables Vol 12: The Dark Ages Written by Bill Willingham; Pencilled by Mark Buckingham; Art by Peter Gross & Andrew Pepoy, Michael Allred, David Hahn; Colour by Lee Loughridge & Laura Allred; Letters by Todd Klein
Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm Written by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright
Schlock Mercenary: The Longshoreman of the Apocalypse Written and Illustrated by Howard Tayler

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION - LONG FORM

Avatar Screenplay and Directed by James Cameron
District 9 Screenplay by Neill Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell; Directed by Neill Blomkamp
Moon Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones
Star Trek Screenplay by Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman; Directed by J.J. Abrams
Up Screenplay by Bob Peterson & Pete Docter; Story by Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, & Thomas McCarthy; Directed by Bob Peterson & Pete Docter

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION - SHORT FORM

Doctor Who: "The Next Doctor" Written by Russell T Davies; Directed by Andy Goddard
Doctor Who: "Planet of the Dead" Written by Russell T Davies & Gareth Roberts; Directed by James Strong
Doctor Who: "The Waters of Mars" Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper
Dollhouse: "Epitaph 1" Story by Joss Whedon; Written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon; Directed by David Solomon
FlashForward: "No More Good Days" Written by Brannon Braga & David S. Goyer; Directed by David S. Goyer; based on the novel by Robert J. Sawyer

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM

Lou Anders
Ginjer Buchanan
Liz Gorinsky
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Juliet Ulman

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM

Ellen Datlow
Stanley Schmidt
Jonathan Strahan
Gordon Van Gelder
Sheila Williams

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST

Bob Eggleton
Stephan Martiniere
John Picacio
Daniel Dos Santos
Shaun Tan

BEST SEMIPROZINE

Ansible edited by David Langford
Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan
Interzone edited by Andy Cox
Locus edited by Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong, & Liza Groen Trombi
Weird Tales edited by Ann VanderMeer & Stephen H. Segal

BEST FAN WRITER

Claire Brialey
Christopher J Garcia
James Nicoll
Lloyd Penney
Frederik Pohl

BEST FANZINE

Argentus edited by Steven H Silver
Banana Wings edited by Claire Brialey and Mark Plummer
CHALLENGER edited by Guy H. Lillian III
Drink Tank edited by Christopher J Garcia, with guest editor James Bacon
File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith

BEST FAN ARTIST

Brad W. Foster
Dave Howell
Sue Mason
Steve Stiles
Taral Wayne

THE JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (NOT A HUGO AWARD)

Saladin Ahmed
Gail Carriger
Felix Gilman
Seanan McGuire
Lezli Robyn

Last edited:
What's the diff between a short story, novella, and novelette? I've never heard that last term before at all...

Is it very unusual to have two separate** candidate works of literature with the same title (even if in different categories) in the same year?

(The name of the two works, Palimpsest, would become almost appropriate if one should come to overshadow the other.)

** - Obviously, if a short story gave its title to a collection, they could both be nominated for awards where collections had their own category.

The same tre books getting the noms, its like these awards follow each other.

Cool to see Saladin Ahmed nominated cause i have read a S&S of his.

That list makes me realise how little I know about recent sci-fi/fantasy. I've only read Mieville on the list of novels, and barely even heard of the others. I gotta get in more!

It's interesting that Up is one of the nominated films. I guess it qualifies as sci-fi, although I'd never thought of it that way (probably because I just lump all animated movies as one genre in my mind).

What's the diff between a short story, novella, and novelette? I've never heard that last term before at all...
Weeel...I posted something on this way back when and other members chimed in at the time but I've sourced this quite excellent overview of the Categories courtesy of the Hugo Awards website.

The current list of Hugo Award categories is as follows:

• Best Novel: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of forty thousand (40,000) words or more.
  • Best Novella: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of between seventeen thousand five hundred (17,500) and forty thousand (40,000) words.
  • Best Novelette: Awarded for a science fiction or fantasy story of between seven thousand five hundred (7,500) and seventeen thousand five hundred (17,500) words.
  • Best Short Story: Awarded for science fiction or fantasy story of less than seven thousand five hundred (7,500) words.
  • Best Related Work: This award can be given to a book which is related to science fiction, fantasy or fandom but does not qualify for any of the fiction categories. The type of works eligible include collections of art, works of literary criticism, books about the making of a film or TV series, biographies and so on, provided that it does not qualify for another category.
  • Best Graphic Story: A science fiction or fantasy story told in graphic form.
  • Best Dramatic Presentation (Long Form): This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games or music. The work must last 90 minutes or longer (excluding commercials).
  • Best Dramatic Presentation (Short Form): This Award can be given a dramatized production in any medium, including film, television, radio, live theater, computer games or music. The work must be less than 90 minutes long (excluding commercials).
  • Best Editor (Long Form): This is the first of the person categories, so the Award is given for the work that person has done in the year of eligibility. To be eligible the person must have edited at least 4 novel-length (i.e. 40,000 words or more) books devoted to science fiction and/or fantasy in the year of eligibility that are not anthologies or collections.
  • Best Editor (Short Form): To be eligible the person must have edited at least four anthologies, collections or magazine issues devoted to science fiction and/or fantasy, at least one of which must have been published in the year of eligibility.
  • Best Professional Artist: Another person category, this time for artists and illustrators. The work on which the nominees are judged must class as “professional”.
  • Best Semiprozine: This is the most complicated category because of the need to define semi-professional. A lot of science fiction and fantasy magazines are run on a semi-professional basis: that is they pay a little, but generally not enough to make a living for anyone. The object of this category is to separate such things from fanzines, which are generally loss-making hobbyist pursuits. To qualify a publication must not be professional and must meet at least two of the following criteria:
    1. had an average press run of at least one thousand (1000) copies per issue;
    2. paid its contributors and/or staff in other than copies of the publication;
    3. provided at least half the income of any one person;
    4. had at least fifteen percent (15%) of its total space occupied by advertising;
    5. announced itself to be a semiprozine.
    This is the first of the serial publication categories. To qualify, the publication must have produced at least 4 issues, at least one of which must have appeared in the year of eligibility (this being similar to the requirements for magazine editors in Best Editor, Short Form).
  • Best Fanzine: This is the other serial publication category. This Award is for anything that is neither professional nor semi-professional. The publication must also satisfy the rule of a minimum of 4 issues, at least one of which must have appeared in the year of eligibility.
  • Best Fan Writer: This is another person category. Note that it does not just apply to writing done in fanzines. Work published in semiprozines, and even on mailing lists, blogs, BBSs, and similar electronic fora, can be including when judging people for this Award. Only work in professional publications should not be considered.
  • Best Fan Artist: The final category is also for people. Again note that the work by which artists should be judged is not limited to material published in fanzines. Material for semiprozines or material on public displays (such as in convention art shows) is also eligible. Fan artists can have work published in professional publications as well. You should not consider it when judging this award, and also any artists who make the final ballot for Best Professional Artist may not also be on the final ballot for Best Fan Artist.
The John W. Campbell Award
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer is not a Hugo. It is voted for and presented alongside the Hugos, but the eligibility rules are not governed by the WSFS Constitution.

Is it very unusual to have two separate** candidate works of literature with the same title (even if in different categories) in the same year?
Actually it is fairly unusual as you suggest but not unprecedented. Mind you, I've from time to time seen books with exactly the same titles in various Genres but by different authors. For anyone interested I previously posted a list of former Award winners for Nebula, Hugo, World Fantasy Award etc.. from previous years in the the SF&F Classic subforum. I'll probably need to update those threads soon.

Classic SF&F - Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums