Need help with magical trap

HareBrain

Smeerp of Wonder
Staff member
Supporter
Following the heaps of useful help I got in my “how to break someone’s mind” thread, here’s another problem.

I’m struggling with a chapter in which characters fall foul of a trap set by a magician, after a previous version I’d written of the trap was shown to rely too heavily on unlikely assumptions by the evildoer.

The characters are an eastern-style monk and his disciple/bodyguard, and it’s the monk the magician needs to kill. He knows the two are staying in a hotel (it’s a late-19thC type setting) which has few, if any, other guests. He can’t use a physical attack, as that can be traced, and in any case he wants to use magic out of pride in his abilities.

The basic form of the trap is to enchant a physical object, a “trigger”, in such a way as to give a psychic shock to whoever touches it. In an elderly individual such as the monk, this should result in heart failure. But it will only work properly if the victim is in a state of psychic distress at the time he touches it, especially if confronted with a horrific scene that draws his awareness to the physical body, internal organs etc. The nature of the trigger should also ideally have some symbolic connection with death or injury, such as a knife.

The magician’s problems are: 1, how to get the monk to such a scene; 2, how to get him to physically touch the trigger; 3, how to make sure his disciple doesn’t touch the trigger first and discharge it.

My current preferred trap involves the use of a female associate of the magician (though not in a spangly leotard) whom the monk met earlier that day and with whom the magician is displeased, to the point where he would quite happily sacrifice her. The woman, under the magician’s instruction, writes a note to the monk saying she needs to speak to him about his investigations, and giving a room on the same floor of the hotel. There is something in the note’s wording that suggests she might have other, more personal motives. This is delivered late at night (perhaps slipped under the door by the magician’s henchmen), after a sleep in which the monk has been sent dreams involving this woman being sexually attracted to him. These are designed to make sure the monk goes to her room alone.

After that, I’m struggling. The woman could be either alive or dead – if alive, she could have been hypnotised by the magician, or her mind could have been reduced to mush. To induce the state of horror, the magician could have “decorated” the room with blood, etc, though probably nothing that would smell too bad, to avoid drawing unwanted attention. One idea I had was that the woman could be tied to a chair with strips of cloth, and the scissors apparently used to cut the strips – actually the trigger – could be lying by the chair, and the monk would use them to free her.

(If the woman were dead, the trigger could be touching her body. If she’s alive, it can’t be, as that would discharge it.)

I’m not altogether thrilled with that, though. Sorry for the long background explanation, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks very much in advance

I have three problems with the scenario you have put together.

Isn't a monk normally above the earthly desires of the flesh?

I think that a monk who has had years of training in centering his being and meditation and whatnot isn't going to be hit as hard as a normal person would be in a situation such as the one you have described.

The scissors are too obvious

I think the woman still being alive and pleading for help is going to shake a "do-good-er" monk more than a murder scene. She could be severely beaten hanging on to life by the skin of her teeth begging the monk to save her. He reaches for the scissors to cut her loose but realizes that this is too obvious so decides to undo them by hand which is his undoing because it is the restraints themselves that were cursed.

I like your set up so far. I have an idea, but I can't say how far you want to go into the description or how deep into the character's head the POV is, and fair warning since it might be a little to close to gorn, but here goes.

Let's say the monk walks in and the woman's obviously been assaulted, perhaps tortured, she's bound and bloody. The room appears bloody, but it could merely be paint or something else, just so long as it appears that way. The monk sees her and sees she's obviously in some sort of pain, so he might not take the time to do a Holmeseque evaluation of the scene.

The woman is tied in such a way that she's being slowly strangled by ropes and the more she struggles, the worse it gets. She can either be hanging just high enough that she can barely support herself if she's on her tiptoes. Or she can be tied to the bed and a series of knots and nooses can accomplish the same thing. Either way, she's choking and crying and scared.

The monk will notice this. He'll look around and as you suggested sees something to cut her loose, a knife or whatever. It could be more frightening if its obviously not a weapon of combat, like one of the curved knives used in an amputation. Doubly frightening if the monk sees it an knows exactly what it is. Perhaps it could be made worse if he's seen an amputation before and can't help but remember the event when he see's the knife.

It's your choice as to whether the implement has been covered in blood or whatnot. She might also be missing an ear or nose. If this is the case, that can add more terror, since he might not want to touch the thing that's obviously been used to hurt her, but knows he doesn't have time to get anything else.

Isn't a monk normally above the earthly desires of the flesh?

In theory.

But, what if the woman herself, not the restraints is loaded up with the curse?

Or, he can see her through a glass door and it's the doorknob that's been cursed?

Or what if the monk's dear old Auntie Tongma has passed away in reasonably mysterious circumstances and the monk's funerary text has been switched with a cursed one?

Or, the monk is a bit obsessive compulsive and would never touch a dead rat with his bare hands.

There's a dead rat somewhere about and there's a pair of tongs somewhere. He picks up the tongs.

Whoops!

The woman isn't an inanimate object and as such I don't think would be a suitable trigger. He did say in his post that he had to make sure that the assistant didnt accidentaly discharge the trigger. I know realise that this means that in my scenario there would have to be some part of the restraints not touching the victim which is difficult...

The doorknob doesn't meat the death/injury association requirement. I like how it's a glass door so that he can still be part of the traumatic environment before entering the room but this presents other problems like how was the scene set up if any passerby could just look through the door. Also, glass doors in a hotel. Also, glass doors in the 19th Century?

Why would there be a funeral in a hotel room? (I like that Idea though...)

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Dr C, you might be right in general, but the magician thinks he has reason to believe (rightly or wrongly) that this particular monk is susceptible to temptation.

I think Arthur C's post might contain the missing pieces I was after. Rather stupidly, I hadn't even considered that the woman might be alive but wounded or mutilated, which might prompt immediate action, and that a knife left at the scene might not appear immediately suspicious as a trap because it might be assumed to be the one with which she'd been wounded, which the peratrator had just left there (this being in a time before fingerprints and other forensics). The woman being hanged on tiptoe is rather cruelly inventive. (I shall probably have to put a footnote to point out that I'm not the sort of chap capable of thinking up such things myself.)

Tell me HB, why is he trying to avoid monk's assistant from falling into the trap? Is there a reason why both couldn't be set into it, and get rid of them both before the assistant becomes a nuisance? If a trap can be set into a object than cannot be set to object like a carpet? Couldn't the magician even hire some street thugs to drive the pair into a trap, and get over it without mixing magic into the play?

Barbed wire around her wrists and/or neck would hurt a great deal more than rope, adding to the gore and whatnot. An ordinary knife wouldn't cut it, though, so that might not help much.

The victim is a monk. If you really want him to be distressed, have you considered something that upsets his faith? And a trigger that is some sort of relic or other object of religious significance.

If the trigger were being used in a profane way, the monk may be shocked to the core. And if the trigger is (seen to be) something that the disiciple would not dare touch - just in case either the trigger is violated further (or that the disciple may be tainted) - that only leaves the monk to touch it. Voilà! (Or shoud that be "Ta-da!" or "Hey, Presto!"?)

(I think I'll leave the details to your imagination.)

(I think I'll leave the details to your imagination.)
Considering one of HareBrain's less violent passages shares resemblences with Chuck Palahniuk who writes about "anarchy, sex addiction, suicide cults and general dismayhem", I don't think we want to leave things too much to his imagination... :eek: :p

Tell me HB, why is he trying to avoid monk's assistant from falling into the trap? Is there a reason why both couldn't be set into it, and get rid of them both before the assistant becomes a nuisance? If a trap can be set into a object than cannot be set to object like a carpet? Couldn't the magician even hire some street thugs to drive the pair into a trap, and get over it without mixing magic into the play?

The magician doesn't anticipate the disciple being a threat if the monk dies. The trigger object would have to be ritually enchanted in the magician's home, and then imported to the hotel room, so something like a carpet would be too big -- also, since its energy is discharged with the first touch, they would both have to touch it at the same time. As for the thugs, physical attacks leave a stronger impression on the psychosphere than subtle manipulations like magic, and would be more easily traceable by other monks who came to investigate their colleague's demise. Plus destroying someone with magic appeals to his vanity.

Barbed wire around her wrists and/or neck would hurt a great deal more than rope, adding to the gore and whatnot. An ordinary knife wouldn't cut it, though, so that might not help much.

Enchanted bolt-cutters, though -- it's original, at least.

The victim is a monk. If you really want him to be distressed, have you considered something that upsets his faith? And a trigger that is some sort of relic or other object of religious significance.

If the trigger were being used in a profane way, the monk may be shocked to the core. And if the trigger is (seen to be) something that the disiciple would not dare touch - just in case either the trigger is violated further (or that the disciple may be tainted) - that only leaves the monk to touch it. Voilà! (Or shoud that be "Ta-da!" or "Hey, Presto!"?)

Excellent. For reasons too complex to outline here, combining this idea with the murdered woman is the perfect solution. The cheque would be in the post if only I knew your address.

Considering one of HareBrain's less violent passages shares resemblences with Chuck Palahniuk who writes about "anarchy, sex addiction, suicide cults and general dismayhem", I don't think we want to leave things too much to his imagination... :eek: :p

Excuse me, I'm not the one who thought of a barbed wire necklace and matching bracelets.

...and you're prepared to use any means necessary to extract information on her whereabouts....

I suppose the bucket of water over the door is out of the question.

You could dress it up of course.

The bucket could be a chalice, the water could be a spell, and the door could be wardrobe or what ever.

Do we have old fashioned telephones

"Hello is that Mr. Monk"

"Yes, this is he"

Zappa-mundo!

Bathroom, bath water, drowning, - assistants never bathe but monks know the value of cleanliness etc. Some object soap, towel, shampoo or whatever is the trigger.

Travel bags tampered with. Poison needle in the catch etc. - or something inside that only the monk could touch.

Insects/snakes/rodents/creatures - in the bed - crawling down the bell pull - flying through the window.

The bed - assistants sleep on the floor etc.

Rose thorns in the flower vase - complimentary choccies - Champagne - beer - whisky - holy wine - sandwich from the kitchen - room service tray.

How about a swap? What I mean is that if the monk is carrying something, and the magician gets an access to it ... by using this angle, at the time the monk triggers the trap there's no possibility to actually claim that it was the magician. In same time you make the apprentice to take the role of the fall guy, opening you a chance to write great drama as a haunted man escapes the act he was never committed.

Certainly this opens doors for great dialogue whenever the apprentice close the loop and faces the magician, yeah? Or am I pushing the envelope too far from what you planned?

I might save the idea of cursed complimentary choccies for another book.

Ctg, I don't want the monk to trigger the trap, it has to be the disciple (contrary to the magician's plans), and they both have to survive. Plus, what follows is already written, but thanks anyway.

I think I have what I need now, so thanks everyone.

I might save the idea of cursed complimentary choccies for another book.

Ctg, I don't want the monk to trigger the trap, it has to be the disciple (contrary to the magician's plans), and they both have to survive. Plus, what follows is already written, but thanks anyway.

I think I have what I need now, so thanks everyone.

Sorry. I should have realised.