forgot title: fast evolving tiny race in lab

espo610

Years ago when I was in college; around 1982, I read a short story that I am trying to remember the title of. From what I recall, the plot was about a scientist who 'grows' a race of beings that evolve very fast. Also they are tiny. He watches them go from 'cave beings' to the industrial age, then to a 'space age' civilization. When the scientist communicates with them to answer their questions, he is talking to the child or grandchild of the being who asked the question (because they grow so fast). This race eclipses the human race, and I think in the end save the scientist from destruction in our world.

Please help,:confused: I am going crazy trying to find this story. Thanks!

Randy

And probably different from the ending to the Simpsons episode, "The Genesis Tub", which was how I found it. :)

It also sounds like the same basic concept as The Sand Kings by George Martin.( I have no idea which was written first)
It is Science Fiction but it comes across as a very effective horror story.

"Microcosmic God", 1941; "The Sand-Kings", 1979. And yes, both are stories well worth reading....

I'd also read a story like that one, but in an issue of Continuum, same issue that had the first part of Crystal singer in it. Comic book Style. read it in '82. remember it because I ran across CrystalSinger the novel a few years later.

Can't remember the title of that episode... okay, just looked for it wasn't Continuum, was called Starstream. Issue #3, and that did have it. it was the same tale, "Microcosmic God" read it in early 80's, but appears that comic had been put out in '76.

Thank you all who responded, as I said, I read it over 25 years ago so maybe the ending is a bit fuzzy... but that's it! "Microcosmic God"

Thanks again.