The best CLASSIC Sci-fi novel of all time!

What, wait, it's not SF according to the serious literary types?

Stanley Robinson's Red Mars trilogy was an experience for me.
Le Guin's The Dispossessed also stands out.

Hmm not heard of that one!
It's a middle of his career novel about underwater powerplants and government conspiracies... I think.

Anyway, I'd say that definitive No. 1s are pretty useless overall. A good selection is the goal of anyone with a bookcase (or five)... right?

I just thought of one of the greatest true, Sci Fi books ever. saturnalia by Grant Callin. This author wrote one other book that I could find then nothing. But the one book is great.

I have never heard of that one...Thanks for sharing, I'm going to check it out.

Umm, so I'm feeling slightly embarrassed about my lack of classic science fiction reading right now. I love Dune, and Ender's Game, but I think that's it from what's been mentioned so far.

I think I'd put The Forever War up there as well - that'll do for my contribution at least.

No from memory the cover was Luke in the middle with the other characters flanking him either side. I think that it was from the original cinema poster.

From my fading memory banks:

I first saw this exact book, bought it and read it shortly before the movie came out:

clovis-man-albums-sf-covers-picture781-ac760a5bdb4324b592b353654774141414c3441-1.jpeg

It's my understanding that Alan Dean Foster was the real author, but Lucas seemed to take credit for it at the time. I don't have it anymore.

Oh, and I have to vote for Dune as the best I have read (Is that an okay qualifier?).

I first saw this exact book, bought it and read it shortly before the movie came out:

clovis-man-albums-sf-covers-picture781-ac760a5bdb4324b592b353654774141414c3441-1.jpeg

It's my understanding that Alan Dean Foster was the real author, but Lucas seemed to take credit for it at the time. I don't have it anymore.

Oh, and I have to vote for Dune as the best I have read (Is that an okay qualifier?).

I am a Dune fan also, it gets my vote as well.

I never saw this version of Star Wars. Do you know if it's available for a kindle?

Redmeat: The book, the trilogy, or the extended universe of stories?

My take on that would be book=good; series=better; extended universe=Okay.

The trilogy. My take on it is pretty much the same as yours. The extended universe get a bit amorphous in places, and the books not written by Asimov are so-so but I admire the attempt at integrating the robot stuff.

Image problem. Here's what it looked like FWIW.\:
original[2].jpg

Reactions: Vaz

I read it and was telling people at my job that it was crap.

Then I went a saw it after being told I was full of crap.

LOL

It was a lesson in the difference between movies and books. But it has become a matter of all of the 10 years old kids that were programmed back then. The story still isn't that good, it was just such a different movie done so well at the time.

psik

How old does it have to be to qualify as "Classic"?

psik
I dont think a book has to be old to be considered a classic per se. I just think it has to be around long enough for people to be talking about it and passing it on.
Iain M Banks' Consider Phlebas was written in the late 80s. I'd consider that a classic.

From my reading experience, I'd have to choose from a list including,
The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells
Davy by Edgar Pangborn
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Gateway by Frederick Pohl

I feel like there are others I'm not thinking of. Oh, well.

Randy M.