Predestination Paradox

Scott R. Forshaw

The Darth Knight
Nonchalantly fervent - the epitome of confusion.
For anyone writing about, or incorporating time travel into any of their work; I thought that this may be of interest.

I stumbled across it, and thought that it sounded interesting.

A predestination paradox is a scenario in which a time traveler seeking to alter the past inadvertently plays a role in bringing about the same future, thus creating a loop of events that "predestines" him to travel back in time yet again.

Cheers folks, and happy writing.

I Stumbled across a blog once which analyses the time travel used in movies and showed that all but a precious few made fatal flaws such as this one that you have mentioned.

but for the life of me I can't find it again!

Probably the optimal version is Heinlein's "all you zombies" short story. Any paradox can be paradoctored.

what is interesting about the predestination paradox is that if the time traveller's memories changed accordingly with the events he/she alters then it would seem to him/her exactly like a predestination paradox even though it wasn't. Like so:

1. Alter past
2. Memories change with altered event
3. "Oh, it's always been like this - that's weird I seem to be part of a time loop"

Thanks for that, Scott. It's not really a writing resource as such, though, so I'm moving the thread to the general part of Aspiring Writers, where it might get a little more attention.