Dwayne McDuffie (RIP)

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Probably not for everyone, but it was announced that comics legend Dwayne McDuffie passed away yesterday.

McDuffie was one of the leading lights in comics equality, not only writing and drawing comics in a time when very few minorities were doing so, but doing it well enough to be noticed on the highest level.

He wrote for both DC and Marvel, creating his own imprint for DC, Milestone in the early 90's, and introducing a series of characters with diverse racial backgrounds. Although many of the titles failed, some stood out, including Hardware, Icon and Static.

He worked in television for the last few years, on successful shows like Ben 10, Justice League, All Star Superman and other DC projects, at the same time he ran Milestone Media which developed the ideas he initiated with Milestone comics.

He died yesterday (Monday 21st), following unforseen complications on a simple operation.

He tweeted only a few days ago how he was looking forward to meeting comic fans later this month for a signing.

I really enjoyed a lot of his work, and have many happy memories of thrills and adventure that he gave me.

Rest in Peace.

This is a shock since i was watching his interviews recently on the JLA black team fan reaction. He was one of few minorities who was pretty known in the comic world.

He was pretty young too such a shame.

I liked Deathlock. Could have been a cool movie. RIP.

Back