Wonders of the Universe

Re: Wonders Of The Universe.

Already spotted this and I shall be watching. I always like his stuff; he has all the qaulities I look forward to in good documentaries. He has enormous enthusiasm for his subjects, he (or his script writers but it doesn't come across as such) is very good at explaining complex ideas for lay audiences and he doesn't talk down to you.

As I say, I am looking forward to it, especially as there is so little good material on the TV these days. I only watch maybe 5 or 6 programmes a week now.

Thought I'd post up a link, in case anyone missed this and might be interested. To be fair, I missed a lot of it when it was on, as Dad was staying with us. We were chatting over a glass of wine, and I was showing him various stories from this site (which he loved!), so I'll need to watch it again.

But, I know I love the enthusiasm of this guy, and the way he makes what was boring at school much more accessible and understandable to simple minds like mine:

BBC iPlayer - Wonders of the Universe: Destiny

Occasionally, Brian's posing can go a bit far, as can the focus on the scenery, but overall I really enjoyed it. Complex concepts were presented in a clear manner, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Brian actually comes across better live. I've heard him on radio where he can be witty and fun, instead of the slow delivery he uses for the Wonders programmes. Still, it's good for science to have a poster boy people can relate to.

I find him a little hyperactive to be honest. He was just on the 700th 'Sky at Night' and he was the same there. That was quite interesting. They had on Brian Cox, Jon Culshaw, Martin Rees and Brain May, and they asked them what first started their interest in Astronomy. In each case it was a different book written by Sir Patrick Moore, or (for Martin Rees) a lecture by him. I think it was a book written by him that got me interested too.
BBC iPlayer - The Sky at Night: 700 Not Out

I can't wait to share this series with my son who's 5. While the hard science is over his head to some extent, I think Brian deals with it in such a way as to pique Sam's interest, and I get to learn something too . . .

Loved it! I don't think there have been any programmes that he's made that I haven't enjoyed. He does get a bit "posey" sometimes but he has the rare ability to explain complex idaes in simple, understandable ways without making you feel like a complete idiot. As someone who used to do techie training for a living that is a quality I truly admire.

I found it exciting, interesting and unutterably depressing.

The Universe is gonna die?? Bwaaaaaaa-huaahuaaaaaa :(

Occasionally, Brian's posing can go a bit far, as can the focus on the scenery, but overall I really enjoyed it. Complex concepts were presented in a clear manner.
I'm watching it again and I see that the things I didn't like last week - the over-enthusiasm, the focus on scenery, jumping to locations all over the world - they actually do help to present some very complex concepts in a simple way. Also, I see now that he only went to Nepal last week because he needed to go to the Himalayas this week, so it wasn't being too extravagant at all. They even reused some filmed effects.

I'd love to be alive to see a Supernova up close, especially if it were Betelgeuse. I've been fascinated by the descriptions of the ancient Chinese astronomers, and also of Kepler and Brahe, seeing something in the sky even during the bright daylight. Supernova have certainly always inspired men.

That's one thing I keep thinking to myself -- if I don't get to see a supernova in my lifetime, I am writing a strongly worded letter to the cosmos.

In all seriousness, it would be amazing to see one.

I always seem to watching Lords of the Rings when this is on, despite jumping around excitedly when I heard the series was starting. I shall have to get myself to iPlayer soon.

Here's a comforting thought:
Our sun will burn out and possibly take Mercury, Venus, and Earth out with it long before the Universe ceases to exist. Also, the Milky Way will collide with the Andromeda galaxy in a few billion years, completely rearranging both galaxies. But of course, none of this matters if you believe any of the countless 2012 apocalypse theories. I only hope I live long enough for some good looting.

I watched it night before last and though I thought it started very slowly on pretty basic stuff that anyone who follows this kind of programme would almost certainly have known already. So I was ready to be disappointed. Then after about 20mins in it picked up pace and was really fascinating. So I wasn't disappointed in the end.

I heard Brian Cox defending the music levels on radio 4. They were talking about how some documentaries are almost without music (eg. a lot of Attenborough ones) whilst others use music a lot. Brian Cox argued that he was trying to present a cinematic experience rather than a university lecture. I guess you have to try and find a compromise. That said I didn't have a problem with his music and I certainly do on some documentaries. Apologies to the Americans but this is something that I typically find with most American produced documentaries.

And hey!!! I just noticed that this is my 1,000th post!!! :)

Get thee to the Thousand Post Club.

Speaking of heavenly objects, saw a weird thing two nights ago. Stationary, very bright, fluctuating in colour. Couldn't work out what it was.

One thing about the programme that didn't bother me was the music. So I found this surprising:

BBC turns down the volume on Professor Brian Cox programme after viewer complaints - Telegraph

Although I thought using "Across the Universe" to finish last night was rather cute.

If you ever have the misfortune to wander into the BBC Points of View messageboards (I used to, but I gave up because it made me too angry), this is the most regular complaint, now that Jonathan Ross has left. It's as predictable as the seasons changing, and so are the other complaints about this programme from the physicists expecting a scientific paper there.

I'd post a link, but I'd feel guilty.

Watched this last night, managed to catch the repeat of Sunday's episode, well half of it as I was cooking dinner (causing choas in the kitchen would be a better explanation) and I did enjoy it.

I agree that sometimes the stuff he talks about is very basic and I pride myself on almost always knowing what he is going to say when he leads us to cliff hanger, but still it was very interesting and I learned a few things I didn't know.

I'm not sure that Brian Cox should get all the credit, surely there are other people involved in the making, writing, directing and everything else of the series. I know Attenborough (sp) gets alot of credit for his narration over what is essentially someone elses documentary.

But I think that Brian has found himself a niche, David is getting on and if Brian can monopolise the scientific documentaries (from the BBC) for the next 30 years he could become quite a household name.

I too would love to see a supanova, but I'm a bit confused. At one point he said if it happened it would be like a daytime star, and as bright as the full moon. Wow! but he also said that the last moments (the really hot part that creates the really rare elements) would only last 15 seconds. Surely that isn't long enough for us all to rush outside and see it. Or would the really birhgt part actually last a couple of days and so we would get a chance to see it?

The supernova that has now become the Crab Nebula happened in 1054 and was recorded by Chinese Astronomers, among many others (but the Chinese were especially good at recording these things and their records go back much further than even the Persian/Arab astronomers.) That "guest star" was described as being bright enough to see in daylight for 23 days and was visible in the night sky for 653 days. So, there would be no rush to get outside.

Back