ERLOS by RJM Corbet PAGE ONE (Please read this page 1st. Page 2 etc, to follow ...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
Here are the first 1200 words of ERLOS. I have trouble getting italics on this computer, so certain emphasis may be lost, but it won’t affect the story. Thank you for your interest so far …

ERLOS by RJM CORBET
BOOK ONE -- TWO WORLDS
Chapter One
Page One …

Douglas Perry was born somewhere in South Africa with most of the back of his skull missing.

The back of his head looked strangely caved in. His breath did not smell good and his eyes were small black pebbles that glittered with intensity. His parents, whoever they were, had provided a good home for him at Camphill Village, a communal farm for 'mentally challenged' adults just outside the city of Cape Town. They appeared to care for him and to visit him reasonably often during the 27 years of his short life, while he waited for Erlos to rescue him.

Douglas was a quiet, strong man who rose early to work on the farm and then worked late into the night on his papers. He was always a gentleman. He never showed boredom or lack of respect toward the other 'mentally challenged' people with whom he lived -- though exhaustion could make him irritable, thought make him distant, and old, fixed ideas make him angry.

‘Distant, I hear my name, and it becomes my whole life work to journey to that voice; and all the million broken fading parts move as they can toward that name -- Obekallah -- and pieces begin to come together in old familiar patterns, bits of myself, stronger, like streams that join and flow together becoming a mighty river that at last finds the sea -- the final explanatory whole.’

Perhaps to him this world, this dimension, this room of nature, was like a kindergarden in which we, like infant souls, live and grow, contained and protected by walls of time against vast unknown forces that would destroy us, just as a three year old child could not survive half a day alone in the city before being hit by a bus or something.

Douglas was only interested in finding someone to write the story for him.

Nothing can stop the words.

Hamish El Tyrone sighed with frustration. Parts of the story scrawled back to back and upside down in notebooks, on invoices, between the entries in old diaries -- upon any paper available at the time of inspiration -- littered his desk and toppled from shelves. Bits of paper, most yellow and brittle with age, lay in heaps and bundles and boxes all over the room. It was a paper jungle. He had no idea how to order them into readable form. Yet he was determined to. It was no task for weaklings.

Squarking gulls woke hard, thin wings into the wind, twisting to sudden ocean downdrafts. Sunlight bought incandescent colour of day. Hamish El Tyrone defended his library. It was a place where he knew he would not be disturbed -- for days on end if necessary.

He read a page from an old diary: 'After four years I have managed to arrange a ‘holiday’ to Marana. We will never return, of course. Hopefully Mykraamus will not concern himself with me. Hopefully he will not. One day the shepherd will be free. It will not be soon.'

He tore out the page and wrote on the other side: 'The wind howls and leaps and assaults the senses. The wind booms and bangs, as always here on the corner of the sea. To open the door is to invite disaster. To venture outside is to lose one’s hat to the Marana Cape South Easter. The wind is a physical force. It pounds for days and weeks and months on end. There is no escaping it. Gulls, white as froth blown from the sea -- twisting, crying, fishing off the gale. The world exists in infinite dimensions. Let each man find his own world.'

Upon the planet Elotia, Mykraamus toasted victory, sipping only now and again at his goblet of wine. He was a dark, slightly built man, a man of jewels and perfumes. He bathed often. Mykraamus bathed and changed five or six times a day. Still, the smell seemed to stick to his skin and to his clothes, and to his neatly trimmed beard. The stink of rotten flesh went to bed with Mykraamus -- the stench of corpses. No incense, no perfume, could overcome it.

At the other end of the table, Urn, his barbarian battle lord, swilled beer in large draughts dealt him by two bare breasted women, one on each knee. Urn’s sword lay upon the rough table around which men boasted of deeds done in battle.

A maiden stooped to fill Mykraamus goblet but he covered it with his hand. The riotous banquet now in progress celebrated Mykraamus’ final conquest of the north, making him now ruler undisputed of the Ukonaai people. At this moment Urn noticed his master’s somber mood and banged on the table for silence, shooing the girls.

“To Mykraamus, King of the Ukonaai!” he shouted.

A great roar arose from the assembled warriors, demanding their master address them. Mykraamus was secretly annoyed with Urn, for he had not Urn’s drunken sense of celebration. Rather, now that northern victory was complete, a dark and terrible hunger gnawed at his bones.

He rose. “Aazyr is not yet ours,’ he said, sitting down again.

The drunken warriors had expected a rousing speech. They sat stunned.

Mykraamus stood up again, sweeping back his cloak, and left. Urn rose and buckled on his sword and followed him out. He found Mykraamus on a balcony overlooking the streets of the conquered city.

Mykraamus did not turn when he heard Urn come up behind him. Urn now cold sober waited, trying to sense his master’s mood. A slow anger began seeping into his blood and now he hated the man before him. Mykraamus wheeled to face him.

“What did you expect?” he said.

“Erlos will defend the Garden Kingdom,” Urn replied.

“Are you a coward?”

“Dare not even you repeat to those words!”

“Erlos will not defend Aazyr.” Mykraamus shook his head slowly: “Their own law forbids it.”

“What law?”

“Did you think I would be satisfied with less?”

“I will not spill the blood of Aazyr! I would as soon spill the blood of my own mother!”

“Go back inside and enjoy yourself Urn, before it’s your blood spilt.”

“No!” Urn laid his hand upon the hilt of his sword.

“You try me dangerously.” Mykraamus laid a hand upon his own sword: “You have no choice, whatever sanctimonious scruples possess you. We will talk when you are sober.”

“No!” Urn’s sword rasped from its scabbard.

Mykraamus realized he had underestimated Urn’s mood. “Fool!” he hissed, drawing his own weapon. The indigo blade glinted in the moonlight, but Urn had fallen upon his own sword.

“Die then,” said Mykraamus: “You have served me well and I shall miss you.”

/Please go to ERLOS Page Two on Critiques Forum …

Last edited:
Re: ERLOS by RJM Corbet PAGE ONE (Please read this page 1st. Page 2 etc, to follow ..

A lot of it is very expository. I think the piece, as an opener, has some problems. Sometimes ideas are introduced and never really explored, such as Douglas' birth defect. As part of the opening line, it seems like it's an important detail, and I expected to read a little more about it. Certainly more than just 'The back of his head looked strangely caved in.'

The rest of the paragraph is character description and back story. Too slow, in my opinion. Needs a narrative, a forward moving story.

Also, a lot of the description is too general. What does 'work on the farm' really mean? Was he in a sun-baked field, shirtless, tilling the ground? Was he operating machinery? As a reader, I'm curious.

There are many more examples of that kind of vague writing throughout. You mention his 'mentally challenged' neighbors. Give one of them a name. Make the retardation visible, concrete. Do they slur their words? Prone to have fitful episodes? What kind of work do they do -- or do they help out at all?

Can't say much about the third paragraph -- no idea what it relates to. Perhaps this is a case of You'll find out later, dear Reader. I don't know. I don't really care, to be honest, which is what happens when I read something and can't figure out how it relates to the bigger picture. Goes without saying that you probably don't want your reader feeling that way.

Re: ERLOS by RJM Corbet PAGE ONE (Please read this page 1st. Page 2 etc, to follow ..

So THAT's how to expand a 50k book into a 200k book? But thanks for reading, bro :)

You are very elegant writer. The switches from one POV to another are flowing surprisingly well, almost as if you thought carefully each switch over and how you are going to show us the backstory. However, as a beginning I have to agree Slack in places as this opening is way too vague to really hook the reader.

I was almost turned away by the grotesque image that you create with the very first POV. But I was pulled back in by the elegance and flow of your story. So, I know this hurts but think about if you could write another kind of beginning and move the very first character introduction to come in a bit later, please?

Please don't stop writing. You definitely have the talent to pull a big one.

Douglas, you mean? Bring him in later? Can be done. ctg -- it doesn't hurt, really -- I'm not 'precious' about my writing, not at all. The book is complete, obviously still open to alteration. Thank you ...

I was absolutely hooked by "while he waited for Erlos to rescue him" -- though thinking about it now, I wonder if that was because I had some idea what Erlos was. Was it mentioned in your previous submission? If I'd assumed it was just the name of another ordinary human, it wouldn't have had such a strong effect.

I didn't mind the way it shifts around; I quite liked it. I'm interested in the way the layers are linked, and whether the third layer, the fantasy story, is real or one of the dimensions mentioned in the second. I wouldn't necessarily expect to have this answered soon, but I'd expect the author to keep them in mind and not dump me in the fantasy story with no hint of the other layers for hundreds of pages.

A few specific points:

though exhaustion could make him irritable, thought make him distant, and old, fixed ideas make him angry.

I'd prefer "made" to "could make" (and then the two "make"s). It feels neater.

by a bus or something.

"or something" feels juvenile, and out-of-character for the narrator.

Nothing can stop the words.

I guess this is one of the italics you couldn't get to work? If not, who is "speaking"?

A maiden stooped to fill Mykraamus goblet

Missing apostrophe.

The fantasy story itself, like the excerpt you posted before, is written in quite an "old-fashioned" style, with an omniscient voice. I didn't find the amount of exposition on this "page" excessive, but I found it far too much on the next one. As a reader, I feel anxious (if that's the right word) about what proportion of the book is going to be the obvious fantasy story, since at this point I'm more interested in the questions set up by the first two "layers". (Though that isn't to say I don't like the fantasy story: it has a strong feel to it and feels vividly imaginative in a kind of "Golden Age" way -- though to repeat, I think the second excerpt has far too much bald exposition.)

... As a reader, I feel anxious (if that's the right word) about what proportion of the book is going to be the obvious fantasy story, since at this point I'm more interested in the questions set up by the first two "layers". (Though that isn't to say I don't like the fantasy story: it has a strong feel to it and feels vividly imaginative in a kind of "Golden Age" way -- though to repeat, I think the second excerpt has far too much bald exposition.)

Thank you. I'm also 'anxious' as a writer, to show the reader that the story is planned and structured and moves fast. It's not a kind of 'how do you like this idea for a first chapter' at all. (It will jump to the next level in the next excerpt, but I need to wait a while before posting because I don't want The Judge jumping on me!)
Thanks HareBrain :)

Okay, having read your synopsis I understand the story much more and your elegance in this story is shining through. However, as I said earlier there is still some work to be done and the opening with this mentally challenged character is fine. As you move on the second layer (like HB explains it) is very nice, but then I would really like, or actually love you start describing the planet Elotia and the seven cities that flies (orbit) around it.

In that way, you give the reader really good indication about the main characters: one being Douglas, writer being the narrator, Elotian's being the race and Auldrinda Benkilte being the main protagonist.

The way how you could achieve this elegantly is way that you alter the third (omniscient) POV and make at the end the Mykroos to move at either in the garden to talk to the king or moving to open window, where he lays his eyes on the stars and that one particular star that is moving through the night sky, shining brighter than any other. In there, the main protagonist is looking down at the planet and then moves through the narrative to do the other bits, yeah?

Note the first time I was reading this I got this image from second last Babylon 5 episode, where the priests in the nuked Earth were keeping the (sci-fi) relics as their holy pieces, while in the same time they were narrating the history of the future through their books.

So, in a way, you got K-Pax, B5/(Cities in Flight), and Fantasy ala A fire upon the Deep/A Deepness in the Sky going through the story in the same time. Does that make sense?

Yes I do. Thanks. Starting with the sub-plot has always worried me a bit. I'll play with it. Thanks ...

I am intrgued bybyour story and the style of writing. I must agree, however, with a few other readers. The story hasnt exactly grabbed my full attention. While I appreciate vague descriptions, (they allow the reader to create their own picture), yours are a bit too vague. The reader needs a little more to build on. Also, it seems that more attention is given to the second half of the intro. What happened to the boy with the damaged skull and the farm and the mentally challenged people? Or do i get to find out in Chapter 2. In any case I am interested in seeing where things go...if only to close the gaps left by this first section.

Just quickly (because I should be doing other things).

I thought your first line was pure genius. If it doesn't work to start that way because of the rest of the structure then that's a shame, but I got completely hooked by that line. I also liked, as HB did, "...while he waited for Erlos to rescue him." and I have no idea who or what Erlos is.

I love the way you write, but I felt that the first section especially had a lot of telling -- I got too much description to suit me sometimes, especially in the first section. If you'll forgive me for saying this (especially since I know next to nothing about writing), it reads like some of my drafts do when I know what I want to be saying but I haven't quite worked out how to say it. Does that make sense? So the effect you know you want is (for example) that Douglas is a gentleman but simply saying so may not be the best way to communicate it.

No idea what's happening in the second section, but I loved the writing and I want to know what happens.

The third bit - I really like the way you introduce the character who smells of death. Horrible idea, and beautifully presented.

I find so much hopping a bit difficult to take for long - it's fine here but not if the whole book does it.

Hex and Kavin: thank you both, very much. The first few paragraphs are SO important. If I'm 'telling' more than 'showing' and it's not working, thank you for bringing it to me. I will check it out, in that light.

The Google search below will take you to the full manuscript, which still seems to be a work in progress. Thank you :)

(Please ignore the now useless link below. Google 'Erlos by RJM Corbet Writer's Cafe' and you'll be
right there)

Overall, it's a good beginning and there's enough here to hold a reader's interest. I'm assuming you're going to make the links between Douglas, Hamish, and Mykraamus stronger as your story progresses. You already suggest Hamish and Mykraamus have a strong past relationship.

You also have some very nice, descriptive writing, especially on lines like

Squarking gulls woke hard, thin wings into the wind, twisting to sudden ocean downdrafts.

Yeah, that's good writing. Now on to some nitpicky stuff...

Like a couple of other people have suggested, yes, you do have a great first line, but I think you need to do more to hook your readers in the opening paragraphs. I'd also like to see the character of Douglas developed with at least a few more sentences before you move on.

On a similar note, Douglas was born with the back of his skull missing. Then you say, "The back of his head looked strangely caved in." There's nothing strange about the back of your head looking caved in or deformed if that part of your skull is missing. That could be rewritten slightly better. Also, I'm assuming Douglas was born in the 20th or 21st Centuries since he's on a farm for the mentally challenged. That means there's a possibility he's received modern medical treatment. How come he doesn't have a steel plate on the back of his head to keep his skull intact?

You also imply Douglas himself is mentally challenged. However, he's capable enough to do both farm work and to sit up at night working on papers. That means he can read and write. Again, I'd like to see his character more developed and to have a clearer idea of what his mental condition truly is.

There's not much to pick on in the paragraphs with Hamish. That's mostly well written.

In regards to the planet Elotia, this is a well realized imaginary world and I didn't have trouble visualizing it or the characters. So good job on the setting. The writing style and dialog did remind me of an older-type fantasy story anywhere from the 1930s to the '70s. I didn't have a problem with that until I hit this line,

“You have no choice, whatever sanctimonious scruples possess you....

That put me in mind of L. Sprague de Camp or a very young Michael Moorcock when these writers were being too wordy for their own good. A little bit of aliteration goes a long way and you want the reader to believe in your fantasy world, not take them out of it.

Having said all this, it did hold my interest enough for me to keep reading. A good beginning, then. Hope this is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.