ERLOS (PAGE TWO) Please read Page One, posted earlier, below, in Critiques Forum ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
Here is Page Two. If you have not read Page One first, please find it below, in this Critiques Forum. Thank you …

ERLOS
BOOK ONE – TWO WORLDS
Chapter One
Page two …

The King Dumarion Ben strolled in the gardens of the White Palace of Aazyr late on a summer afternoon. His long silver hair was twisted into a plait that hung down the back of his red cloak. Dumarion was no longer young. Late sunlight glittered upon the walls and steps of the White Palace – jewel of Aazyr, set among splendid gardens and tranquil waters upon which drifting lilies opened soft petals to the sky. A big frog croaked on a lily pad. Dumarion Ben was with his gardener, a stooped old fellow with a face as wrinkled as a walnut.

“King of the pond,” Dumarion observed.

“And if he enjoy so to boast, one day a big bird will swoop down from the sky and eat him,” grumbled the gardener.

“A humbling experience,” Dumarion agreed. He stooped to examine an unhealthy young orange tree. “’Tis dying downward from the top,” he said.

“Aye, but ‘tis so young and weak that I fear pruning,” the gardener replied.

“Now is the time; it must be done," Dumarion advised: "for if the disease holds further it will then be too late.”

He rose from his crouched position and laid a hand upon the gardener’s shoulder to affirm friendship. Blue eyes crinkled easily at the corners when he smiled. After a moment of indignation at the king telling him how to do his job, the gardener’s heart went out to Dumarion, realizing the wisdom of his judgment. He marveled that this man, who carried upon his shoulders the burden of a world, should stoop to concern himself with one sick sapling in a grove of healthy trees – a sapling he, the gardener, had given up as lost. The king however was thinking that, in many ways, he wished that he had been born to be a gardener.

They talked for a while and then Dumarion took his leave and walked back up through the orchards to the White Palace, pausing atop the wide marble stairway to look outward with a kind of fierce pride at the land that he had been born to rule. Here at the heart of the Great Continent of Aazyr was the true seat of power upon the world of Elotia. Dumarion Ben turned to enter the palace. He was expecting an important visitor – Shelron Hrothl of Erlos.

“Aazyr must take the threat seriously,” said Shelron.

“Why should we?” Dumarion was still dismissive: “The Ukonaai cannot live without Aazyr. No creature devours its own body.”

The planet ‘Elotia’ was largely given over to agriculture.

Above Elotia, ‘Erlos’ inhabited seven orbiting cities.

Few Erlotians would care to exchange their soft slippers for rough boots or sandals and walk the soil of their world of origin. Indeed, the punishment of ‘earthdeath’ – banishment to the surface of the planet Elotia – was the worst punishment an Erlotian could receive.

“Madness shows neither reason nor restraint,” replied Shelron: “Aazyr must arm herself. Be forewarned.”

Shelron Hrothl was three hundred and twenty years old. He was not particularly old for one of his race and, like most other Erlotians, was about five feet tall and hairless. His bald head was topped with the distinctive Erlotian triple ridge.

Erlotian mental and psychic development over the generations had pushed out lumps in the skull to accommodate new cerebral matter. As with most Erlotian men, the side bulges on Shelron’s head were the more prominent ones. With Erlotian women the central bulge was more pronounced. The same was true for some of the men. Erlotians’ fingers were slightly webbed.

The first Erlotian City had been constructed many thousands of years before and by now the Erlotian city dwellers had little in common with the surface dwelling Elotian race. 'Erlotians' and 'Elotians' shared distant ties of blood, but with the passing of so many generations the link had become a very distant one. Whatever contact there was between the two civilizations, was usually conducted between the Royal Family of Erlos – at that time represented by Shelron Hrothl – and that of Aazyr, represented by the King Dumarion Ben.

"Arms have no place in the garden kingdoms, Shelron. You know this,” said Dumarion.

“Dumarion – my dear old friend: how can I make you understand? Mykraamus has united the Ukonaai. Aazyr must draw armies from Llozd. You must do it now. Erlos is powerless to help you; we can only advise.”

Erlos was forbidden by its own High Law from any physical interference upon the planetary surface of Elotia.

Among the five continents of Elotia the ‘Great Continent of Aazyr’ was the greatest and most prosperous. The northern lands of the Great Continent were inhabited by wanderers and nomads loosely bound together in tribes and family groups – the Ukonaai. Although they did not live by the garden code of Aazyr, and were constantly engaged in petty tribal warfare, the scattered, argumentative Ukonaai had never thought to challenge the Garden Kingdom. The two cultures lived side by side.

Below the Garden Kingdom of Aazyr – which occupied the central part of the Great Continent of Aazyr to which it gave its name – stretched Llozd to the southern seas. The Llozdian people were tradesmen and merchants for the most part, and of greatly mixed blood.

The many small towns and villages of Llozd were loosely bonded by a central government whose main reason for existence was to distribute the food and other materials that flowed to Llozd in great abundance from the Garden Kingdom of Aazyr. Llozd’s own wealth came mostly from its mines. Thus things had stood for as long as any Elotian could read or remember.

The ‘garden kingdoms’ of Elotia – of which Aazyr was greatest – traded food and agricultural produce with the other lands – giving much of it away, because there was little the garden kingdoms required. The other lands of Elotia were largely dependent upon the daily free caravans that arrived from the garden kingdoms carrying grains and fruits and vegetables, legumes and nuts and oils, silks and cottons, incense, perfumes, wine and honey. From Llozd, Aazyr imported mostly metal artefacts and ‘hril’ spice. The hril went to the Erlotians.

“We know your law, honourable lord.” Dumarion pressed the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger: “You are weary, Shelron. Will you not bathe and refresh yourself before dinner?”

“No. I must return.”

Re: ERLOS (PAGE TWO) Please read Page One, posted earlier, below, in Critiques Forum

Here is Page Two. If you have not read Page One first, please find it below, in this Critiques Forum. Thank you …

ERLOS
BOOK ONE – TWO WORLDS
Chapter One
Page two …

The King
You could say "King Dumarion Ben" or put commas round the name.
Dumarion Ben strolled in the gardens of the White Palace of Aazyr late on a summer afternoon. His long silver hair was twisted into a plait that hung down the back of his red cloak. Dumarion was no longer young.
somehow this sentence cuts ino the continuity of your description; could you not integrate the information into the previous one?
Late sunlight glittered upon the walls and steps of the White Palace – jewel of Aazyr, set among splendid gardens and tranquil waters upon which drifting lilies opened soft petals to the sky. A big frog croaked on a lily pad. Dumarion Ben was with his gardener, a stooped old fellow with a face as wrinkled as a walnut.

“King of the pond,” Dumarion observed.

“And if he enjoy so to boast, one day a big bird will swoop down from the sky and eat him,” grumbled the gardener.

“A humbling experience,” Dumarion agreed. He stooped to examine an unhealthy young orange tree. “’Tis dying downward from the top,” he said.

“Aye, but ‘tis so young and weak that I fear pruning,” the gardener replied.

“Now is the time; it must be done," Dumarion advised: "for if the disease holds further it will then be too late.”

He rose from his crouched position and laid a hand upon the gardener’s shoulder to affirm friendship. Blue eyes crinkled easily at the corners when he smiled. After a moment of indignation at the king telling him how to do his job, the gardener’s heart went out to Dumarion, realizing the wisdom of his judgment. He marveled that this man, who carried upon his shoulders the burden of a world, should stoop to concern himself with one sick sapling in a grove of healthy trees – a sapling he, the gardener, had given up as lost. The king however was thinking that, in many ways, he wished that he had been born to be a gardener.

They talked for a while and then Dumarion took his leave and walked back up through the orchards to the White Palace, pausing atop the wide marble stairway to look outward with a kind of fierce pride at the land that he had been born to rule. Here at the heart of the Great Continent of Aazyr was the true seat of power upon the world of Elotia. Dumarion Ben turned to enter the palace. He was expecting an important visitor – Shelron Hrothl of Erlos.

“Aazyr must take the threat seriously,” said Shelron.

“Why should we?” Dumarion was still dismissive: “The Ukonaai cannot live without Aazyr. No creature devours its own body.”

The planet ‘Elotia’ was largely given over to agriculture.

Above Elotia, ‘Erlos’ inhabited seven orbiting cities.

Few Erlotians would care to exchange their soft slippers for rough boots or sandals and walk the soil of their world of origin. Indeed, the punishment of ‘earthdeath’ – banishment to the surface of the planet Elotia – was the worst punishment an Erlotian could receive.
I'd clear out the "the punishment of" to avoid two "punishments in such close proximity.
“Madness shows neither reason nor restraint,” replied Shelron: “Aazyr must arm herself. Be forewarned.”

Shelron Hrothl was three hundred and twenty years old. He was not particularly old for one of his race and, like most other Erlotians, was about five feet tall and hairless. His bald head was topped with the distinctive Erlotian triple ridge.

Erlotian mental and psychic development over the generations had pushed out lumps in the skull to accommodate new cerebral matter. As with most Erlotian men, the side bulges on Shelron’s head were the more prominent ones. With Erlotian women the central bulge was more pronounced. The same was true for some of the men. Erlotians’ fingers were slightly webbed.
Two paragraphs of solid "tell". And I'm finding my eye sliding over the difference between "Erlotians" and "Elotians", which slows reading. I suspect these two paragraphs need restructuring, probably leaving out some of the details to be introduced elsewhere (the sexual dimorphism, for example?).
The first Erlotian City had been constructed many thousands of years before and by now the Erlotian city dwellers had little in common with the surface dwelling Elotian race. 'Erlotians' and 'Elotians' shared distant ties of blood, but with the passing of so many generations the link had become a very distant one.
avoid repetition of "distant". And try and slim it down a bit.
Whatever contact there was between the two civilizations,
no comma
was usually conducted between the Royal Family of Erlos – at that time represented by Shelron Hrothl – and that of Aazyr, represented by the King
comma, or no "the"
Dumarion Ben.

"Arms have no place in the garden kingdoms, Shelron. You know this,” said Dumarion.

“Dumarion – my dear old friend:
semicolon rather than colon.
how can I make you understand? Mykraamus has united the Ukonaai. Aazyr must draw armies from Llozd. You must do it now. Erlos is powerless to help you; we can only advise.”

Erlos was forbidden by its own High Law from any physical interference upon the planetary surface of Elotia.

Among the five continents of Elotia the ‘Great Continent of Aazyr’ was the greatest and most prosperous. The northern lands of the Great Continent were inhabited by wanderers and nomads loosely bound together in tribes and family groups – the Ukonaai. Although they did not live by the garden code of Aazyr, and were constantly engaged in petty tribal warfare, the scattered, argumentative Ukonaai had never thought to challenge the Garden Kingdom. The two cultures lived side by side.

Below the Garden Kingdom of Aazyr – which occupied the central part of the Great Continent of Aazyr to which it gave its name – stretched Llozd
comma
to the southern seas. The Llozdian people were tradesmen and merchants for the most part, and of greatly mixed blood.

The many small towns and villages of Llozd were loosely bonded by a central government whose main reason for existence was to distribute the food and other materials that flowed to Llozd in great abundance from the Garden Kingdom of Aazyr.
In a sentence this long I'm likely to suffocate if there's no punctuation,
Llozd’s own wealth came mostly from its mines. Thus things had stood for as long as any Elotian could read or remember.

The ‘garden kingdoms’ of Elotia – of which Aazyr was greatest – traded food and agricultural produce with the other lands – giving much of it away, because there was little the garden kingdoms required. The other lands of Elotia were largely dependent upon the daily free caravans that arrived from the garden kingdoms carrying grains and fruits and vegetables, legumes and nuts and oils, silks and cottons, incense, perfumes, wine and honey. From Llozd, Aazyr imported mostly metal artefacts and ‘hril’ spice. The hril went to the Erlotians.

“We know your law, honourable lord.” Dumarion pressed the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger: “You are weary, Shelron. Will you not bathe and refresh yourself before dinner?”

“No. I must return.”

If I were you I'd try and prune this back as hard as the orange tree. It commits the unforgivable sin; it gets boring, within sneezing distance of the front cover. And yet the information included is presumably vital for understanding further into the story, so you don't want people skimming it to get to the "good bits".

Fortunately, there is a fair amount of repetition, so you should be able to keep most of the information as you trim it down. I personally would cut down on the number of new words the reader has to absorb, and introduce them more gently, but that's a matter of taste; plunge boldly into the strange, or walk in slowly, feeling the chill reach further up your legs…

Re: ERLOS (PAGE TWO) Please read Page One, posted earlier, below, in Critiques Forum

Thnk you Crispen, I have just opened up. I will read your critique carefully later today and make alterations.

In the meantime, I have rearranged the introduction sequence in the all important first few pages -- due largely to the suggestion of ctg. I have bought the main plot in earlier. I'm adding the synopsis of ERLOS to this reply, and adding a link, where anyone who is really interested will be able to read the full text of 'Book One'. I just want to get ERLOS out there -- obviously in as good a form as possible.
Here's the synopsis ...

ERLOS’ main plot concerns the inhabitants of Erlos’ seven wonderful cities, which orbit the planet Elotia. The main protagonist, Auldrinda Benkilte of Astra City, is forced to use the rebirth chamber, a survival device with which all Erlotian atmosphere craft are equipped.

The rebirth chamber will choose, for the doomed occupant of the atmosphere craft, the unborn embryo of a member of the highest life form on the world on which the craft is going to crash - in this case the planet earth - an embryo that otherwise would be stillborn.

The thousands of millions of citizens of the Seven Cities of Erlos are highly trained to attempt, for the first time, to concentrate their individual WILLS as a single powerful impulse, at close to light speed, to activate the lithos upon which their cities are built, to break through the light/time barrier of the fourth dimension, onto fifth dimensional vortexian innerspace roadways where, under the guidance of Cephanti, the Angel Chieftan of the Arc, they hope to travel millions of light years in a very short time in a desperate mission destroy the planet Bueloess with their sonic weapon before Bueloess destroys them.

Erlos has been at war with Bueloess for 600 years. Bueloess has expanded outward from its home planet at below the speed of light for millions of years to conquer worlds for the lithos metal they contain – which metal both Erlos and Bueloess use to construct their space craft. Bueloess has left these worlds as empty husks, and has reached the planet Marion in the Erlotian solar system as a base from which to attack Erlos.

Erlos' mission succeeds, after various adventures, and so Erlos ends up inheriting an empire of a hundred thousand broken, damaged worlds, which they must heal from Bueloess’ ravages.

The rebirth chamber chooses for Auldrinda Benkilte the body of Douglas Perry. Douglas lives upon the earth, on a farm for 'mentally challenged' adults for 27 years until Erlos comes to rescue him. He is reborn again on Erlos as Obekellah and will soon return to save us on earth from our own absurd treatment of the planet that supports us. So we return to reshape our own future, and become Erlos, and so Erlos can never again return to Elotia.

Douglas Perry was a real person. He gave me the main idea for this story and I have the originals of all his writings and letters available, for possible inclusion as appendices to ERLOS.

THE SUB PLOT describes the adventures of Sorac of Aazyr, upon the surface of the planet Elotia, to defeat the tyrant Mykraamus of the Ukonaai in a quest for the weapon of Mycyl, the Angel of Light, which alone can defeat the weapon of Aba Mainyus, the Angel of Darkness, that gives Mykraamus his power.

There is a double twist at the end, where all the earlier parts of the story fall into place.

APPENDIX ONE contains detailed and important information about the structure of the Seven Cities of Erlos, their configurations, voting systems, and so on, to which the reader can refer without them slowing down the story.

Other possible appendices contain original letters, drawings and writings provided by the real Douglas Perry.

And here's the link:

www.writerscafe.org/writing/RJM-Corbet/723241

Thank you for taking the time to read the excerpts, and so carefully.
Regards
Roger 

Last edited:

Fine. So the cities are democracies (and if I can see the imperfections of democracy, at least when involving humans, I'm sure they can. I've often found it strange in how many SF universes democracy is assumed to be the ultimate flowering of government for the "good guys", with a benevolent aristocracy as the second choice, rather than exploration of alternate organisational systems. But then, I'm no sociologist; I couldn't invent a new system that would work).

Hmm, has to be a reason why lithos only occurs on planets capable of supporting life, or else the bad guys would be better off mining it from asteroids or moons rather than wasting all that energy devastating living worlds.

will soon return to save us on earth from our own follies.
Aaargh!! I hope you have some new and original twist on this theme. It has been milked fairly heavily.

Oh, and in true pedant style, the plural of "appendix" is "appendices". ;)

I find it disappointing that the orbital cities are dependent on those at the bottom of the gravity well to feed them; and there's no information as to what they trade down for it. Typical aristocrats, they don't even asteroid mine, but deliver television programs and military protection, and just maybe results of scientific research, to the serfs below…

No they're not dependent on them in any way. Nor are they allowed to interfere with them in any way whatsoever -- very important -- although they may advise. The two civilizations have little to do with one another, but the events of the book first link them and then separate them forever. And I'm not giving away any more of the story, dude! I have corrected 'appendices' and substituted 'follies' with: 'from our own absurd treatment of the planet that supports us' -- while there was still time to edit. Lithos? I guess they mine the moons, the asteroids and the uninhabited worlds too? Thanks for that ... :)

Last edited:

I'm sorry, but the link above no longer goes directly to ERLOS -- so, to anyone who is interested enough to have opened the link: please press 'My Writing' to open ERLOS. Thank you ...
icon7.gif

Last edited:

I'm sorry but that link no longer works. Google ERLOS by RJM Corbet then take the 'Writer's Cafe' option. It will take you straight there. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.