Excerpt from a new fantasy story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosemary Fryth

Background information: My heroic epic fantasy trilogy was written over ten years ago and in the intervening decade I've hardly written a thing (except to online blogs and forums). Since the so-far, so-good success of Riothamus on Kindle, I've decided to start writing again, this time a stand-alone fantasy novel set here in South East Queensland. The extract I'm providing is the first page or two from chapter one. At this initial point of the story nothing much fantasical is happening (that leads in later), however given it is the starting point of the novel, it is the part I want to make just right. I had a little bit of writer's block to begin with, however now at chapter four I've found my feet and the rustiness of ten years is finally flaking off. I have a working title to the story, it is called 'Dark Confluence' and the word count is 927.

Chapter 1

Jen floored her foot and slammed on the brake so hard that she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses went flying and the bags of groceries, carefully positioned on the back seat of her elderly mini, scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which sent her flying forward again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.

“Geezus Jen! Stop in the middle of the road next time, why don’t ya?” he yelled, whilst pointing back at his four wheel drive. “Good thing my bull bar took the impact. Do ya know how much it costs to replace a HiLux radiator? Do ya? Do ya?”

Jen shook her head and staggered to her feet, sagging against the side of the car, her head thumping painfully.

“Eh, you’re hurt then?” Dave, his anger dissipating forgot his own troubles for a moment as he regarded the small older woman propping herself against the now misshapen mini.

“My head hurts” Jen at last was able to say, her fingers gingerly exploring the tender lump which was rapidly forming on her forehead.

Dave shook his head and motioned her to move away from the car. “Come on then, sit ya’self on the side of the road whilst I move both our cars out of the way. We’re holding up traffic.”

Jen looked back to see a small line-up of cars and drivers either peering curiously at her and Dave, or more impatiently leaning on their horns. Sighing, she allowed herself to be steered to the footpath and she sat, more rapidly than usual, on the cracked concrete slab of the pavement.

“Wait here....” Dave told her, “I’ll be back in a tick.”

Jen watched him get into her car, restart it and manoeuvre it off the road and into a nearby parking bay. Within a few minutes his big four wheel drive was drawn up next to her on the road.

Dave leaned out of his car window and called to her, “look, ya car is over there. I’ve locked it and here are the keys...” he tossed her car keys out of the window and they landed in her lap. “I’ve rung emergency and they‘re on their way. I’d wait but I have a client with a flooded kitchen and I’m already late...” He stared at her quizzically “was there a child on the road?”

She shook her head, trying to remember however she could not think past the thumping headache.

“Well, I didn’t see anything, and there was nothing under your car. Perhaps whatever it was ran off?”

Jen shrugged eyes half closed against the painful thump, thump inside her head.

“See ya” he called, “I’ll ring ya later about the insurance and stuff.” He glanced back down the road, “I reckon ya car’s a write-off, those nose to tails always bugger up the smaller cars, doubt ya’ll be allowed to drive it. Oh and I can hear a siren.” He grinned ruefully “she’ll be right, just wait there, they know where to find ya” and then in a cloud of noxious diesel fumes, he was off and speeding down the road.

“Are you sure you are alright dearie?” enquired a voice above her.

Jen looked up squinting and made out a pink and purple haze, eventually the haze resolved itself into the ferret-like features of Miss Amelia Crane, the local gossip and chairwoman of the Country Women’s Association who had descended upon her as soon as Dave had departed the scene.

“Headache” Jen explained, touching for emphasis the now impressively large red swelling on her forehead.

“You best be off to the clinic then dearie, oh and the ambulance is here” she added quite unnecessarily as the big white vehicle with the painfully bright flashing lights pulled up where Dave’s four wheel drive had been only moments before. Jen found further conversation impossible as two burly blue uniformed medics shooed away the now growing crowd of onlookers back to a reasonable distance and started firing at her a barrage of questions.

“Was it a car accident love?” “Where does it hurt?” “Can you move your hands and feet?” “Are you dizzy?” “Do you have a headache?”

Jen answered their questions as best as she was able, and moments later was transferred and strapped onto a stretcher and loaded into the back of the ambulance. As the vehicle slowly pulled out into traffic the medic fussed about her, hooking her up to a myriad of devices, all she thought presumably to check her pulse and blood pressure.

“I’m fine” she hastened to assure him, “just a bump on the forehead and a bad headache.”

However he shook his head and muttered darkly about possible brain injury, whiplash, and having to be careful in case of spinal injuries. So Jen accepted his ministrations and closed her eyes, concentrating and trying to recollect what she had seen before the crash. After a few minutes she gave up, whatever she saw seemed to be rapidly fading from her memory, aided no doubt in part by whatever it was the medics had injected into her arm...

Hi rosemary, as ever, I'll have a go, take what's useful; ignore the rest.

Jen floored her footnot sure about this descriptor as an opener; my literal mind sees the wrong image. and slammed on the brake so hard that she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses went flying and the bags of groceries, carefully positioned on the back seat of her elderly mini, scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which sent her flying forwardyou use flying a lot but she isn't either time. again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.

“Geezus Jen! Stop in the middle of the road next time, why don’t ya?” he yelled, whilst pointing back at his four wheel drive. “Good thing my bull bar took the impact. Do ya know how much it costs to replace a HiLux radiator? Do ya? Do ya?”

Jen shook her head and staggered to her feet, sagging against the side of the car, her head thumping painfully.

“Eh, you’re hurt then?” Dave, his anger dissipating forgot his own troubles for a moment as he regarded the small older woman propping herself against the now misshapen mini.

“My head hurts” Jen at last was able to say, her fingers gingerly exploring the tender lump which was rapidly forming on her forehead.

Dave shook his head and motioned her to move away from the car. “Come on then, sit ya’self on the side of the road whilst I move both our cars out of the way. We’re holding up traffic.”dialogue's good, voices are clear.

Jen looked back to see a small line-up of cars and drivers either peering curiously at her and Dave, or more impatiently leaning on their horns. Sighing, she allowed herself to be steered to the footpath and she sat, more rapidly than usual, on the cracked concrete slab of the pavement.

JenI know this is probably revoltingly ageist of me, but Jen seems a younger name. watched him get into her car, restart it and manoeuvre it off the road and into a nearby parking bay. Within a few minutes his big four wheel drive was drawn up next to her on the road.

Dave leaned out of his car window and called to her, “look, ya car is over there. I’ve locked it and here are the keys...” he tossed her car keys out of the window and they landed in her lap. “I’ve rung emergency and they‘re on their way. I’d wait but I have a client with a flooded kitchen and I’m already late...” He stared at her quizzically “was there a child on the road?”

She shook her head, trying to remember however she could not think past the thumping headache.

“Well, I didn’t see anything, and there was nothing under your car. Perhaps whatever it was ran off?”

Jen shrugged eyes half closed against the painful thump, thump inside her head.

“See ya” he called, “I’ll ring ya later about the insurance and stuff.” He glanced back down the road, “I reckon ya car’s a write-off, those nose to tails always bugger up the smaller cars, doubt ya’ll be allowed to drive it. Oh and I can hear a siren.” He grinned ruefully “she’ll be right, just wait there, they know where to find ya” and then in a cloud of noxious diesel fumes, he was off and speeding down the road.

Jen looked up squinting and made out a pink and purple haze, eventually the haze resolved itself into the ferret-like features of Miss Amelia Crane, the local gossip and chairwoman of the Country Women’s Association who had descended upon her as soon as Dave had departed the scene.

“Headache” Jen explained, touching for emphasis the now impressively large red swelling on her forehead.

“You best be off to the clinic then dearie, oh and the ambulance is here” she added quite unnecessarily as the big white vehicle with the painfully bright flashing lights pulled up where Dave’s four wheel drive had been only moments before. Jen found further conversation impossible as two burly blue uniformed medics shooed away the now growing crowd of onlookers back to a reasonable distance and started firing at her a barrage of questions.

“Was it a car accident love?” “Where does it hurt?” “Can you move your hands and feet?” “Are you dizzy?” “Do you have a headache?”

Jen answered their questions as best as she was able, and moments later was transferred and strapped onto a stretcher and loaded into the back of the ambulance. As the vehicle slowly pulled out into traffic the medic fussed about her, hooking her up to a myriad of devices, all she thought presumably to check her pulse and blood pressure.

“I’m fine” she hastened to assure him, “just a bump on the forehead and a bad headache.”

However he shook his head and muttered darkly about possible brain injury, whiplash, and having to be careful in case of spinal injuries. So Jen accepted his ministrations and closed her eyes, concentrating and trying to recollect what she had seen before the crash. After a few minutes she gave up, whatever she saw seemed to be rapidly fading from her memory, aided no doubt in part by whatever it was the medics had injected into her arm...

Yes I thought this was very well written; I wasn't sure about the opening para. thought it tried a little too hard, but generally nice and tight.

Thanks springs1971, I've slightly reworked the first paragraph to read:

((Jennifer gasped with horror, slamming on the brake so hard that she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses went flying and the bags of groceries, carefully positioned on the back seat of her elderly mini, scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which hurled her forward again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering-wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.))

I've also taken on board your suggestion about her name. I've opened up the book with her formal name 'Jennifer' and when she is formally asked, or called for it is 'Miss McDonald' or 'Jennifer McDonald'. However as you know we Aussies don't stand on ceremony so she (and others who know her) call her 'Jen'.

Jen floored her foot and slammed on the brake so hard that she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses went flying and the bags of groceries, carefully positioned on the back seat of her elderly mini, scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which sent her flying forward again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.

Suspension of disbelief. That is what's wrong with the starting paragraph. It's the choice of words, how you frame the scene and how you stretch the action related sentences to the maximum, where start nearing the purple prose.

I understand that you try to your best to show us the stuff, but it's not working. The reader, the rational mind that a reader has get awfully confused. And the reason is that what's on the bold, doesn't make any sense. The reader doesn't expect to see that sort of thing. They want it simplified, ready to chew and then swallow the hook.

Another thing is that you forgot the macguffin. It's not there. The scene is separated from the context and her headache takes the place of the macguffin, and I don't think you wanted that, did you?

Here's another thing. You described the road before, and now you add there footpath, which relates directly to an urban area. The reader wants to know where they are, but you are not giving it to them. Why?

Jen watched him get into her car, restart it and manoeuvre it off the road and into a nearby parking bay. Within a few minutes his big four wheel drive was drawn up next to her on the road.

Road... a parking bay?

It's the little details that sets the confusion. Is it possible that you could add up a little bit more details about where they are at the beginning?

Scary. I imagined a demon. Not an old wrinkly woman.

@ ctg, I've done another rework of the first paragraph to include the first element of the fantastical into the novel. I had hoped to lead into it gradually, let the fantasy creep up on one as it were. However if you feel that it is better introducing it first off, then here is the rewrite:

((Jennifer gasped in horror at the sudden appearance of the shrouded woman on the road that she slammed on the brake so hard she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses flew off her face and the bags of groceries on the back seat scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which hurled her forward again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering-wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.))

I've also changed another sentence later on to briefly explain that the accident happened in an urban, not country setting. Aussie roads are quite wide (similar to your A-roads) and in most country towns there are parking bays, or room to park on either side of the road.

Also for a time the headache takes centre-stage. However I have reworked another sentence or two:

((She shook her head. Strangely her memory of the figure she had seen was rapidly fading from her mind. Jen tried hard to recollect it however she could not think past the thumping headache.))

p.s. Never underestimate the demonic aspects of busybody old ladies from the CWA... :eek:

Red is remove, green is consider adding. But only if you agree.

I would advise you not to substantially change things based on individual critiques. What one person might dislike with another might think worked. for example, while I think you improved your punctuation in the second sentence of your first paragraph in the latest alteration, I actually liked that you didn't mention what she had seen. If she can't remember what caused her accident, then why give the reader an unfair advantage so early on?

Both my view and ctg's are valid, but opposing. See why it pays to wait a bit?

Jennifer gasped in horror at the sudden appearance of the shrouded woman on the road that she slammed on the brake so hard she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses flew off her face, and the bags of groceries on the back seat scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her, smashed into the back of her car which hurled her forward again catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering-wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.

The underlined parts probably want something doing with them. Lurched, jolted and hurled, all in one brief crash. That whole sentence runs on a bit much.

Also, I think "Dave, the local plumber", rather than "the local plumber, Dave". Depends whether you want to bring more attention to his name or his job.

“Geezus Jen! Stop in the middle of the road next time [she's done it this time], why don’t ya?” he yelled, whilst pointing back at his four wheel drive. “Good thing my bull bar took the impact. Do ya know how much it costs to replace a HiLux radiator? Do ya? Do ya?”

Jen shook her head and staggered to her feet,. She sagginged against the side of the car, her head thumping painfully.

“Eh, you’re hurt then?” Dave, his anger dissipating, forgot his own troubles for a moment as he regarded the small older woman propping herself against the now misshapen mini.

I'm not overly taken with the word small. Is she slight? Is she small because she looks frail? Or is she stocky? Not that you should go overboard, but as far as descriptors go, small is not very helpful.

Dave shook his head and motioned her to move away from the car. “Come on then, sit ya’self on the side of the road [pavement might be better] whilst [while sounds more appropriate to Dave's style of speech] I move both our cars out of the way. We’re holding up traffic.”

Jen looked back to see a small line-up of cars; and the drivers either peering curiously at her and Dave, or more impatiently leaning on their horns [this is something she should be able to hear]. Sighing, she allowed herself to be steered to the footpath [curb?] and she sat, more rapidly than usual, on the cracked concrete slab of the pavement.

Again with the underlining. I can't quite figure out how to express how clunky and wrong this line feels. I'm guessing if she sat that fast when she was feeling poorly then she practically collapsed to the ground.

Jen watched him get into her car, restart it [unnecessary] and manoeuvre it off the road and into a nearby parking bay. Within a few minutes his big four wheel drive was drawn up next to her on the road.

Dave leaned out of his car window and called to her, “look, ya car is over there. I’ve locked it and here are the keys...” he tossed her car keys out of the window and they landed in her lap. “I’ve rung emergency and they‘re on their way. I’d wait, but I have a client with a flooded kitchen and I’m already late...” He stared at her quizzically, “was there a child on the road?”

She shook her head. Strangely her memory of the figure she had seen was rapidly fading from her mind. Jen tried hard to recollect it, however she could not think past the thumping headache.

Jen shrugged, eyes half closed against the painful thump, thump inside her head.

“See ya” he called, “I’ll ring ya later about the insurance and stuff.” He glanced back down the road, “I reckon ya car’s a write-off, those nose to tails always bugger up the smaller cars, doubt ya’ll be allowed to drive it. Oh and I can hear a siren.” He grinned ruefully “she’ll be right, just wait there, they know where to find ya”. Aand then in a cloud of noxious diesel fumes, he was off and speeding down the road.

“Are you sure you are alright, dearie?” [Always a comma before/after a direct address] enquired a voice above her.

Jen looked up, squinting, and made out only a pink and purple haze,. Eeventually the haze resolved itself into the ferret-like features of Miss Amelia Crane, the local gossip and chairwoman of the Country Women’s Association, who had descended upon her as soon as Dave had departed the scene.

I'd consider putting the fact that she is the local gossip after stating she is the CWA chair.

“You best be off to the clinic then, dearie, oh and the ambulance is here,” she added quite unnecessarily as the big white vehicle with the painfully bright flashing lights pulled up where Dave’s four wheel drive had been only moments before. Jen found further conversation impossible as two burly blue uniformed medics shooed away the now growing crowd of onlookers back to a reasonable distance and started firing at her a barrage of questions at her.

“Was it a car accident, love?”
“Where does it hurt?”
“Can you move your hands and feet?”
“Are you dizzy?”
“Do you have a headache?”

Jen answered their questions as best as she was able, and moments later she was transferred and strapped onto a stretcher and loaded into the back of the ambulance. As the vehicle slowly pulled out into traffic the medic fussed about her, hooking her up to a myriad of devices, all she thought presumably to check her pulse and blood pressure.

“I’m fine” she hastened to assured him, “just a bump on the forehead and a bad headache.”

I'm not a doctor, and don't even play one on tv, but I would have thought that the fact she was able to move to the pavement and sit down would preclude her having spinal injuries. Perfectly willing to be wrong though.

While reading this my overriding thought was "poor old bat". Congratulations, you've successfully made me care about the character!

Thanks AMB, good pickup on all those and yes, I agree with most. I'll amend the red text when I get in from work this evening.

I was thinking about the change in the first paragraph as to introducing the fantastical early, and I think I'll stay with it. My reasoning is the oddness of it rapidly vanishing from her memory allows for the main character become puzzled about it, and for the reader to understand that there was something 'not quite right' about it in the first place.

A number of years ago I had an accident in which I was thrown from a horse. I was able to drive for a short while after, but was later admitted to hospital. During the initial time in the ambulance and hospital I was handled as if I did have a spinal injury, it was only after x-rays cleared me was I allowed to move around normally.

AMB is right, it pays to wait until you've had a number of comments before making any amendments to your work -- not only might you change things that others think are fine, but you are making life a little complicated for those critiquers who come after and who have to read variants of the same paragraphs.

While I'm here, your punctuation needs work, particularly with regard to your dialogue -- I'll leave Chris to go through and pull them all out if he's a mind, but you need commas after things like "See ya," that are missing, and capital letters for the start of dialogue when it comes inside another non-dialogue sentence ie Look, ya.."

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the way you change POV for no reason within the scene -- the
Dave, his anger dissipating, [comma needed to complete the sub-clause] forgot his own troubles for a moment as he regarded the small older woman propping herself against the now-misshapen [hyphen preferred] mini. can only be from inside his head, which is intruding unnecessarily into her POV.

Reality-wise, I've no idea how these things are handled in Australia, but over here the cops would take a very dim view of a person involved in an injury-incurring RTA moving the cars (if the road is as wide as you say the other vehicles can go round them, surely) and then leaving the scene. And where are the police?

Plot/drama-wise, why have you had Dave leave? Is it important to the plot he isn't there when the ambulance/cops arrive? If so, fine. If you're making a point about society being uncaring or how alone she is, fine. But taken as it is, I'm wondering what is the point of most of his dialogue and action.

The accident and her injuries seem wrong, too. You say the seat belt isn't working (broken sterums aren't uncommon nowadays from belts that do work, and bruising is near-universal, I understand), and it's a long while since I did any PI cases, but I'm not convinced by the flung against the windscreen and then the hitting on the steering wheel -- for a useless belt, the injuries don't seem sufficient. Obviously if you know someone who suffered exactly this, or you've spoken to paramedics, fair enough, but if not you might want to do a bit more research.

As to readability, to my mind the opening paragraph even as amended isn't grabby enough. I love long, intricate sentences, full of sub-clauses and parentheses, but they have to be placed right to have effect. Here the opening lines (all versions) are too long and they dissipate tension terribly. You then go on to compound the problem with a series of long sentences in a lengthy paragraph.

Since this is a dramatic scene, in my view it would provide a much more arresting opening if you used shorter, sharper sentences and broke down the paragraph into three or more: eg as an opening "The shrouded woman appeared from nowhere. Jen slammed down on the brake and pulled on the steering wheel, but had no chance to avoid her." Then para break into the hitting head and second jolt (NB do ensure you check about whiplash), then third para when she manages to fall out of the car.

Incidentally, "slammed on the brakes" is rather hackneyed -- if she is the kind of person to think and talk in cliches, then bring out more of that aspect of her voice in the rest of it. Beware, though, as sometimes it's difficult for a reader to distinguish between narratorly voice being cliched and POV. If in doubt, avoid. As a general point, it might help you to think about words a little more, and how they are used. Just adding a "down" to the "slammed" changes the feel of it

I'd also be tempted to prune the rest of the scene drastically -- unless Miss Crane is an important part of the plot, I'd dump her. As I've said, the bit with the plumber seems otiose, and you don't need all of the ambulance arriving and the procedure. Obviously, I don't know how you intend these characters to fit in, and I may be missing the point as a result, but it seems to me the importance of the scene is that this woman sees something and as a result she is injured. I think you're right to bring in the apparition rather than leave the accident in doubt, but even if she then begins to forget what she saw, I think you should make a bit more of it immediately eg she could ask where the woman is, what's happened to her etc (and obviously people will think she's hallucinating). You also need her to tell us how bad she feels, if she is. Everything else is just window-dressing, and for me (but I'm a very sparse writer) less is better than more -- you could sum up most of the aftermath of the accident in a couple of paragraphs to concentrate on the important bits.

I agree with AMB that some of your writing appears a little clunky. I think part of the problem is the long sentences. As I say, I like them and use them all the time in my writing, but they do have to be kept under tight control, and the punctuation has to be perfect to give them rhythm. Try reading your work aloud, as that will help.

Another problem I see is that you're not fully in her voice. You're trying to show us the scene and telling us how it's affecting her, but you're not inside her mind showing us things through her eyes enough. For instance, she should be confused, pained, upset, worried -- and as a result she would not be thinking clearly, or able to notice everything that's going on around her or understand it.

Sorry this appears so very negative, but I'm notoriously fussy and nit-picky. You've got the beginnings of a good story -- a shrouded woman is always intriguing! -- and good writing skills, but I think a few revisions to this opening will help improve it immensely.

Thanks for the very comprehensive critique, the Judge. I recognise that I write too many long sentences so it's something I'll have to attend to as I write. It's also been over ten years since I've substancially written anything so I've a few skills to relearn, and the critiquing here is helping me hone my very rusty skills again. Thanks all.

Good pickup on the police thing. I'll need to add to that, and no her injuries were not as severe as everyone first thought. Just the ambulance over-reacting in a case of 'better be safe than sorry'. So I might adjust the seat-belt wear to be in line with that. The rapid vanishing of the plumber was to highlight her aloneness and general isolation (I will write up later that he had a reckoning with the police for moving the cars).

I'll take another fresher eye at the MS after reading your appraisal, however it will have to wait. Have a 6.30am work shift (bleh) and another hot day (yesterday was 35 degrees and its hovering around 30 degrees at 5am in the morning) so sitting in front of a hot computer is a trial.

Hi Rosemary,

I think it sounds great, needs a little work as mentioned here, but the story itself is good. It might be a good idea to knock out the whole story first before looking into the sterility of technicalities and grammar. Only my humble opinion.

One thing I did notice is the section where the car tailgating Jen crashes into the rear of her vehicle. As far as kinetic energy is concerned, when this happens in real life, the individual in the car that is hit from behind is propelled backwards (not forwards), the car is pushed forwards, but the person in the car goes backwards. In come ways the human body is very robust, but when it comes to car crashes, we're as frail as an old granny.

While I'm here, your punctuation needs work, particularly with regard to your dialogue -- I'll leave Chris to go through and pull them all out if he's a mind
Sorry, Yeronnor, flew back from my visit to the UK into an impressive tempest and an attack of coughing my lungs up, headache, joint ache and fever. Only coming to the computer to charge my brand new Kindle :D. Lots of welcomes and things to do, but I can't concentrate yet.

Chapter 1

Jennifer gasped in horror at the sudden appearance of the shrouded woman on the road that
that "that" doesn't work.
she slammed on the brake so hard she was flung forward against the windscreen. Her glasses flew off her face and the bags of groceries on the back seat scattered everywhere, rolling and bouncing about, spilling contents across the inside of her car. Dimly she heard a second screech of tyres and felt another sudden lurch and hard jolt as whoever had been tailgating her,
no comma
smashed into the back of her car
comma
which hurled her forward again
comma
catching her forehead painfully on the top of the steering-wheel. Groaning, she turned the door handle and
comma
after releasing the catch on the frayed and useless safety belt, half fell from the car to
Split infinitive.
immediately encounter the wrathful expression of the local plumber, Dave.

“Geezus
comma
Jen! Stop in the middle of the road next time, why don’t ya?” he yelled, whilst pointing back at his four wheel drive. “Good thing my bull bar took the impact. Do ya know how much it costs to replace a HiLux radiator? Do ya? Do ya?”

“Eh, you’re hurt then?” Dave, his anger dissipating
comma
forgot his own troubles for a moment as he regarded the small older woman propping herself against the now misshapen mini.[

“My head hurts
full stop
” Jen at last was able to say, her fingers gingerly exploring the tender lump which was rapidly forming on her forehead.

Dave shook his head and motioned her to move away from the car. “Come on then, sit ya’self
An apostrophe suggests there's a letter missing, where here it's just a question of pronunciation.
on the side of the road whilst I move both our cars out of the way. We’re holding up traffic.”

Jen looked back to see a small line-up of cars and drivers either peering curiously at her and Dave,
If I were reading this out loud I wouldn't put the pause here, but around the "more impatiently"
or more impatiently leaning on their horns. Sighing, she allowed herself to be steered to the footpath and she sat, more rapidly than usual, on the cracked concrete slab of the pavement.

She shook her head, trying to remember
Punctuation; I'd probably use a semicolon
however she could not think past the thumping headache.

Jen shrugged
comma
eyes half closed against the painful thump, thump inside her head.

“See ya
comma
” he called, “I’ll ring ya later about the insurance and stuff.” He glanced back down the road, “I reckon ya car’s a write-off, those nose to tails always bugger up the smaller cars, doubt ya’ll be allowed to drive it.
Two comma splices here (tolerable in dialogue?)
Oh and I can hear a siren.” He grinned ruefully “
Capital "S", but who's the "she" in question? The car, its driver (to whom he is talking so not likely) or the ambulance
she’ll be right, just wait there, they know where to find ya” and then
comma
in a cloud of noxious diesel fumes, he was off and speeding down the road.

“Are you sure you are alright
comma
dearie?” enquired a voice above her.

Jen looked up
Comma
squinting
comma
and made out a pink and purple haze,
Comma splice
eventually the haze resolved itself into the ferret-like features of Miss Amelia Crane, the local gossip and chairwoman of the Country Women’s Association"
Comma; and is that really "Country Women’s Association" rather than "Countrywomen’s Association"?
who had descended upon her as soon as Dave had departed the scene.

“Headache
Comma
” Jen explained, touching for emphasis the now impressively large red swelling on her forehead.

“You best be off to the clinic then dearie, oh and the ambulance is here
Comma (I think. Anyway, I'd class "added" as a direct speech attribution).
” she added quite unnecessarily as the big white vehicle with the painfully bright flashing lights pulled up where Dave’s four wheel drive had been only moments before. Jen found further conversation impossible as two burly blue uniformed medics shooed away the now growing crowd of onlookers back to
I don't like the "away" combined with a "back to".
a reasonable distance and started firing at her a barrage of questions.

Jen answered their questions as best as she was able, and moments later was transferred and
To avoid the "and" chain, perhaps replace this one with a comma?
strapped onto a stretcher and loaded into the back of the ambulance. As the vehicle slowly pulled out into traffic the medic fussed about her, hooking her up to a myriad of devices, all she thought presumably
"she thought " and "presumably " together, when we actually have no real idea of what those gadgets do; for all we know they could include an electrocardiogram, or blood flow meter. Just incomprehensible widgets used by paramedics whove probably only been taught how to use them, not how they work.
to check her pulse and blood pressure.

“I’m fine
comma
” she hastened to assure him, “just a bump on the forehead and a bad headache.”

However he shook his head and muttered darkly about possible brain injury, whiplash, and having to be careful in case of spinal injuries. So Jen accepted his ministrations and closed her eyes, concentrating and trying to recollect what she had seen before the crash. After a few minutes she gave up,
Comma splice, and shouldn't the follow up be pluperfect (whatever she had seen)?
whatever she saw seemed to be rapidly fading from her memory, aided no doubt in part by whatever it was the medics had injected into her arm...

Thanks all for the critiques. I have substantially rewritten the first three pages and made amendments throughout the rest of the MS to be in line with most of the tips and suggestions supplied here. Your critiquing has helped me de-rust myself in regards to my writing. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.