Dominic Green - new SF author?

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Anyone come across this author? Very new I think; has a number of books on free download on his (rather scrappy) web page http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lumfylomax/

The reason I ask is that one of his books has been picked up by Fingerpress Ltd. (who I also know nothing about) and is available at 100% discount (ie free) from Amazon (at least Amazon UK). I only came across it through one of Amazon's "Other people also bought..." things.

Anyway the book is called Small World and is a comedy and apparently Peter Ingham of the Telegraph had this to say about it: "A showcase for Green's bone-dry satire and deadpan humour ... Green's agile imagination constantly wrong-foots the reader. A delight."

Free download from Amazon is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004GNFMLO/?tag=brite-21

I have picked up a copy but have not started reading it yet and was just wondering if anyone else has come across him.

Yes I noticed that, Ian, and according to Wiki his story "The Clockwork Atom Bomb" was nominated for the 2005 Hugo award. The Hugo nomination is sort of why I didn't just ignore it as more Amazon dross!

Downloaded it yesterday, looked at it on PC for Kindle.

6% in.

Comments so far.

Well written and produced.
Uses long character names to set scene on the world (which I initially found a bit difficult) but he phases them out.
Dark, satirical sense of humour.
Good build of tension to date.

So far the impression is that it is something that Tanjen might have published way back when - as in off beat style.

Hmm interesting. I have it downloaded but haven't tried it yet. Sounds promising; I like dark, satirical humour!

I did read this and was not overly impressed. In fact, I found it tedious in places and all the long names did not help. While it is written in a humorous style, the humour was few and far between. It was also poorly formatted for the Kindle and had a few typo's.

On the positive side, I did like the idea of Mount Ararat. Just that the story did not work for me.

Downloaded it yesterday, looked at it on PC for Kindle.

6% in.

Comments so far.

Well written and produced.
Uses long character names to set scene on the world (which I initially found a bit difficult) but he phases them out.
Dark, satirical sense of humour.
Good build of tension to date.

So far the impression is that it is something that Tanjen might have published way back when - as in off beat style.

The comments is about "The Clockwork Atom Bomb" ?

The sense of humour sounds interesting in the sea of new SF authors.