From the Diary of Hamish El Tyrone (from Erlos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
From the Diary of Hamish El Tyrone:

The labyrinth of days. How to fill the time? An old man spaces his actions carefully. The worst threat to an old man’s wellbeing becomes his own mind. It can easily lead him into melancholy depression, painfully allayed to the guilt of knowing that he has little to complain about really. I have food. I have a home. I have my health. For all of which I’m truly grateful. I thank God everyday. But still I feel abandoned, useless, like an old horse put out to grass. There’s no use trying to understand. I know nothing, just that an old man’s life is measured in fractions of the day. I don’t even try to understand anymore.

Young people try to understand. The old man knows that there can never be any real understanding of any truth that man can really ever know. Truth recedes, like the end of a rainbow. The truth will always reveal itself deeper and more complex, so what point searching?

I woke this morning with some thought I needed to write down. It was just one sentence. But it was too cold to get up and so I didn’t record it. Now it’s forgotten. I wake like a captive bird from freedom dreams of wings and sunshine, to the hopeless world of conscious thought. No shaft of sun, no ray of light, reaches the cage that shelters and protects me, while at the same time it denies me freedom and purpose of living. There is great sadness in my heart.

This depression is always with me, worst always in the morning. It’s my old companion. Another day stretches ahead. How to pass the long hours between now until nightfall, when I can sleep and dream again? So I fill pages with words. I don’t think about tomorrow. I don’t even think about the rest of today. The sky is cold.

I just have to get through the day that stretches ahead of me, the empty desert of hours. I only have to survive till nightfall. Night is my destination. The night is my friend. The night makes no demands. Nothing physical can satisfy me now: no food or drink, no woman’s kiss, no book or music. The cheeky, squawking gulls wake thin, hard wings into the wind: twisting, crying, fishing off the gale. Gulls, white as froth blown off the sea.

There is no sunlight through my window. Just grey. Everything seems pointless to me. There’s always a hollow darkness inside me now. I hear voices outside my window, the sounds of traffic starting on the road, the clank of chains, the clatter of wheels and axles, the clopping sound of the horses hooves, straining up the hill. Another day begins. My heart is breaking. It’s still early morning, I write these words, sitting here at the table that I made myself. This house has become for me a prison.

Sometimes, when it’s not raining, I make a sandwich and take a backpack and walk up on the mountains. I spend whole days up there in summer beneath big leafy trees and beside small streams that tumble cold and clear and fast over ancient stones. I thank God always for my legs. Life is a fragile thing, is it not?

I owe so much to Clarissa. She is no longer in this world, but always close to me in spirit. She does not judge me. Without her I think I would just dig a hole for myself and die in it. But, as she used to say: we must always try to remind ourselves of where right prevails over wrong, to create the right intention and to see in entirety.

Wisdom is in the will to bestow.

There is no yesterday or tomorrow in this place, no morning and no afternoon. Expectation leads to certain disappointment. Expect nothing. That’s the first rule. I have only my words today.

Leave the why to greater ones. My mind swings like a pendulum. I deal with each day, hour by hour. Small things become important. I am careful always. The mornings are not good for me, in this grey, lonely place. I want nothing more of this world but that it should let me go. Oh, Holy Eloih, take away this grief. Put a stamp upon it. Mark it with a sign of death and pain, and scythe it away. I cannot do it alone. You are all powerful. But when you speak, yours is a small, still voice. You who created the world and all the universe. You care nothing for appearances. I know I have no human wisdom. I know I am alone.

The mountains surround me, here in the village where I live. Outside my window fallen leaves blow and scurry in eddies, scraping upon the black paved road, outside a yellow door. The leaves are gold and red and brown. They seem to glow from within with warmth of colour against the grey and black of approaching winter. Carriages rush past my window outside in the street. The leaves scrape and scurry. In here, it’s just me. Just me. The clock ticks.

I wash my clothes in the bathtub, and hang them outside under the cold grey sky to drip for a while. They won’t ever dry properly there, but later I’ll bring them inside again to dry properly over the heater in the main room. I smoke my pipe outside on the paved courtyard, where the trees have lost their leaves, and then I bang the ashes out against the grey stone wall and return inside, spacing my movements.

The morning’s nearly gone now. It’s nearly noon. The afternoon stretches ahead. When it gets dark I’ll warm the rest of the broth I made yesterday, and eat it, and then go to bed, with a book, knowing that the day is over and that I own the equalizing night, as rightfully as any man; all men are equal in sleep.

I make a sandwich in my small kitchen and chew it carefully, with little enjoyment, concentrating. The hard crust can shift my denture painfully. Half an hour has passed since I came in. I finish the sandwich and get up to rinse the plate, and then I come and sit back down again in front of this mess of papers on the table.

I have only these words to justify my life. The words flow on, page after page, day after day. Probably I won’t ever read them again, and nor will anyone else. It doesn’t matter. My heart aches for Clarissa. And for Aazyr. But what is home? I have no home upon this world. The weak sun disappears again into the grey bleakness of sky, lost for the rest of the day.

Pass the daylight hours, that is all. That is my task, that is my journey. Silence fills the room. The clock ticks. I have to learn to be my own teacher. I will never know the future. I must not think about tomorrow.

It’s raining again.

Last edited:
Some really deep thoughts going on here RJM. Very deep.

Grammatically I find nothing wrong with it, but the way it was written came across a bit too heavy for me and I struggled to keep attention, but others might love it because it certainly sketches the character quite thoroughly.

I understand it is a diary entry, so action description is limited, which is half the problem for me I think; him thinking about the actions, rather than just doing them.

But as I said above, grammar looked good.

Hi RJM,

I thought this was heart-breaking, and I thought the end -- in particular -- was beautiful and hugely effective.

You have some wonderful phrases -- I loved 'the equalizing night', 'the small, still voice' and the 'thin, hard wings' of the gulls. They weren't the only bits I admired, but I'll stop listing them!

I had one little niggle at the beginning -- I felt that some of the short sentences made rather a repetitive pattern at the start of the first paragraph and I found it distracted from the meaning of the text and the flow of the language.

(Oh, just one more: ' the guilt of knowing that he has little to complain about really' -- that made me smile)

I thought the style, moving from topic to topic, very evocative of an old man trying to get through his days. There is a very strong sense of atmosphere.

I liked some of the philosophical lines “Wisdom is in the will to bestow”, “create the right intention and to see in entirety”. These lines shone out, I thought, in the context of the more mundane activities like making sandwiches and doing the laundry. Again, you have that sense of a man whose thoughts move from the profound to the ordinary and back.

There is some beautiful description in this piece, and some great scene-setting. “The clock ticks.”

There were some bits that didn’t scan too well for me. I had to re-read “freedom dreams of wings and sunshine” and would have preferred dreams of freedom. “They won’t ever dry properly there” – ever seemed too long, and just not drying would have done it for me. “can never be any real understanding of any truth that man can really ever know” an “any” too many.

“allayed” I didn’t understand that.

There are a few questions left open: I’d like to know why the “night is my friend”, why he suddenly asks “But what is home?”.

Good, thoughtful, evocative piece that made we want to know what happened next. Thanks for sharing it.

The section posted created a wonderful mood and for the most part I would repeat what the other members have already said.

As an introduction to the character it was very good. However, as nice as it was, I felt I was approaching my limit in the current scene and wanted something to happen; no matter how small. If you dropped some sort of bomb shell on me very soon after you’d have me for the next 50 to 100 pages. Very interesting and unusual what you shared with us all, I’d like to see more but with a taste of the action to come pretty please.

Well, thank you all for the comments. How encouraging, when I was expecting the usual flow of red ink. Also of course the criticisms, with which I cannot disagree.
+

Last edited:
RJM -- the 2 excerpts together put you well over the 1500 limit for the thread. You're still in time for editing, so can you remove the text from here. Thanks. If you want help with this second bit, then a new thread for it, please.

Thank you for that.

Normal pacing and good storytelling and clearly lots of action going on. Makes me wonder where and how the old man fits in, which is of course the art of story telling.

I think you have something with very good potentail developing, good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.