Adam Niswander: 1946-2012

j d worthington

Just received news of Adam Niswander's death. Though perhaps not well known in the broader sff community, he has written some fine dark fantasies, often in the Lovecraftian vein blending Lovecraft's mythos with Native American beliefs and traditions, giving a wonderfully fresh flavor to even some of its most overused aspects. His work tended toward a poetic, mystical approach with vivid characters and imagery calling up his beloved Southwest.

He also organized the MythosCon earlier this year, one of the (if not the)largest gathering of Lovecraftian writers, artists, and fans ever held.

He was an unique writer, and one who will be missed.

For those not familiar with his work, but who might be interested, I include this link to isfdb's bibliographical page:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?5084

Death seems to want writers this year. We've lost so many of them. Maybe he's building a new library. I didn't know about Niswander until JD sent me two books from his Shaman cycle. I remember reading them both one after another over a very hot weekend. I loved the books and was looking forward to more of them.

His writing is indeed unique and he will be missed. I at least wish I had read more of his works and come to them sooner.