Joe Kubert 1926 -2012

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
A few days late with this:

Joe Kubert was a comic book artist, who worked from the earliest days of the modern industry. Although he drew his fair share of superhero strips, his greatest success came from war comics (most notably DC's Sgt Rock), and adaptations and works inspired by J Edgar Burroughs, including Tarzan.

Other works had a strong religious core, but perhaps more recently was the very highly acclaimed Fax From Sarajevo, a true life account of a family struggling to survive in ruins during the war that ripped their country apart, their only communication with the wider world, the odd fax they were able to send. Kubert was one of the recipients of the faxes.

But perhaps the two greatest legacies he left to the comics industry at least, were the school he founded for emerging comic artists. There are more than a few modern top rated artists whose names are graduates from the school.

A friend of mine was once lucky enough to spend an hour with Kubert at a comic convention and said he learned more in that hour than he did in all the years of drawing before or after.

His other comic legacy are the two of his five children who followed him into the industry, Andy and Adam, both considered amongst the best it has to offer.

This is a shock. As comics reader you know his importance.

My hero as a kid. Was a big fan of his before I discovered Kirby and Ditko. His silver age work for DC's war line is the most important and most prized part of my comic/sf collection. Very sorry to hear this sad news. 1926 was an important year in more ways than one.

Late, but I have to acknowledge the passing of the greats. I loved Kubert's style, even though I was a loyal Marvelite. I wish those old comic books could be made more widely available to the younger generations, the way old movies are. Comic books are one of the timeless contributions America has made to world culture.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Alexa Obituaries 2
chopper Obituaries 20
E General Film Discussion 15