3.01: The Walking Dead - Seed

ctg

weaver of the unseen
With the world growing increasingly more dangerous and Lori's pregnancy advancing, Rick discovers a potentially safe haven. But first he must secure the premises, pushing his group to its limit.

This long waited episode will air October 14. It will launch new season to the horrifying settings of the Prison as well as bring in old and new faces as an cast. And as one, I'm anxiously waiting to see what sort of surprises, delights and disappointments this season will bring to us. So if you were sitting on the sideline last year, don't be afraid to comment this year as I'm looking forward to hear your comments even if they are bad.

Oooh, I'm getting chillies. The beginning is awesome. And in a way I would say its stoicism is comparable to the pilot episode, because in the world where a single noise can spell ones doom, the survivors has adapted to rules in weeks that has taken from the move around and find a better place after the Hershel's farm went up in flames.

There are no shops, no petrol stations, no police cars, no electricity and certainly no creature comforts we're so used to take as granted. Anything is up for taking and the people under ricktatorship do what's necessary. There is no hesitation, no questions asked. Certainly not when its time to move on with the action.

And what an action it is. The Walking Dead is a suprime show when it comes to portraying realistic action. But I sense that there are people, who are going to cry foul on the upgrades that the group has made on their weaponry. So allow me to ask you this, which country in the world is most heavily armed?

PS. I don't want to spoil. So I'll talk about this more when the entries start to roll in.

Last edited:
Seeing as this is an episode thread, and the episode has aired, can I start posting my spoilerific thoughts yet?

Of course you can Lenny. I didn't want to as I wanted to make a bit distance and let the people to come in before I add up in my own spoilers.

Eh. I figure it's a well-known fact by now that episode threads after an episode has aired, regardless of the series, are going to contain spoilers. It's just that I've been indirectly told off for spoilers in a thread before now, which confused me somewhat.

---

Anyway, the episode! And yes, I shall spoilerise.

I liked it. I hadn't realised how much I needed my zombie fix, and it seems that TWD has returned at the right time of the year. :)

I find it somewhat hard to believe that it's taken the group around eight months to find the prison, particularly when you'd expect it to be on that map they happen to have, but I'm happy the series has started with them finding the prison, rather than already having set up camp.

The initial clean-up showed that the group has bonded in our absence - they take orders well, and carry out their respective tasks without [much] fear. It seems they've become better marksmen, too.

The scene around the fire didn't do much for me, and I spent it playing the guess-who-will-be-the-episode-one-sacrifice game. It's a television series about a group of people trying to stay alive, it's the first episode, so someone has to die. I chose the young girl, seeing as she's returned to good spirits after trying to commit suicide last series.

The second clear-out worked well, and it amused me to see the small team struggling with the riot gear zombies (they reminded me slightly of the Zombine in Half-Life 2!). Again, they worked well as a unit, and even managed to keep formation for most of the scene!

Inside the prison, I didn't really get a feel of the tension as Rick was going up the stairs to the perch, which was a shame. I'm also surprised that no-one commented on what looked like slain zombies as they cleared out the cells.

Beds for all - looks like Carl has a crush. ;) And it looks like things are really starting to get to Rick.

Lori's worries about a zombie foetus painted a somewhat amusing picture. I'll be interested to see what happens here - I'm not sure a healthy baby fits the feel of the show, but at the same time, the writers might want it to give the survivors false hope. A sense of Futility or belief? I'm not sure which will be best.

Trust Rick to go all Captain Foreshadowing on us all before the team dives into the maze of the prison. Although I got the character wrong, as well as the fact that they're not quite dead, do I still get points for guessing that there would be a first episode sacrifice?

The forced amputation was gruesome (indeed, the whole episode had a lot of gore), and I can't help but think that Rick has just killed Hershel quicker than the infected bite.

In other scenes, it was nice to see Michonne, and I'm looking forward to her backstory.

---

A good episode, and a strong opener to the series, which is what I've come to expect from TWD. I'm hoping that we don't now get seven episodes of the two groups planning how to get back to the other, with the mid-series finale (I'm guessing that there will be one at the end of November, like last year) ending as one group sets out.

What I am hoping for is a frantic series (or, at least, first half of the series) following the group, along with these prisoners, trying to survive against the constant barrage of the zombie inmates (zombates? Zonmates?).

Yes, I do know a few of the characters who are rumoured to be in this series, but even I'm not that spoiler crazy.

Eh. I figure it's a well-known fact by now that episode threads after an episode has aired, regardless of the series, are going to contain spoilers. It's just that I've been indirectly told off for spoilers in a thread before now, which confused me somewhat.

I was told off last year when I ventured too deeply into that land. So no worries about that any more.

I liked it. I hadn't realised how much I needed my zombie fix, and it seems that TWD has returned at the right time of the year. :)
Good. And you're not the only one who has been suffering from their weekly fix. With sixteen episode slotted down for this season, I think we are good until it grins halt with the finale.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that it's taken the group around eight months to find the prison,
Not months, weeks. I'm pretty sure I heard them talking about weeks.

The second clear-out worked well, and it amused me to see the small team struggling with the riot gear zombies (they reminded me slightly of the Zombine in Half-Life 2!).
You were not the only one and I bet the producers has been giggling behind their monitors when the actors saw the armoured zombies slumbering around the corner. But there we could of kills where I cried foul. That should not have put them down.

Inside the prison, I didn't really get a feel of the tension as Rick was going up the stairs to the perch, which was a shame. I'm also surprised that no-one commented on what looked like slain zombies as they cleared out the cells.
That's wasn't a problem to me. I was there all the time and as the slain one didn't look like fresh kills, I didn't bother to think too much about it. Maybe that was because I knew back in my mind that they could find the prisoners from the cafeteria.

The forced amputation was gruesome (indeed, the whole episode had a lot of gore), and I can't help but think that Rick has just killed Hershel quicker than the infected bite.
That amputation didn't happen to Hershel, but to Dale when he and Billy Green went behind the fence to siphon some petrol to [censored] when [censored]. And it was originally Dale's idea as he said to Billy that he'd been thinking that with chopping off bits, you could prevent the infection from spreading.

I could believe that the group could wander for a few weeks without finding the prison, but look at how far along Lori is in her pregnancy - she's very nearly due, so seven or eight months has to have passed. In the series two finale, she was not showing any sign of a pregnancy.

Also, their having made it through the winter was mentioned a fair few times (including in the Andrea/Michonne scene), which suggests to me that at least three or four months has passed since the series two finale.

That amputation didn't happen to Hershel, but to Dale when he and Billy Green went behind the fence to siphon some petrol to [censored] when [censored]. And it was originally Dale's idea as he said to Billy that he'd been thinking that with chopping off bits, you could prevent the infection from spreading.

The forced amputation in this episode happened to Hershel - Rick raised his hatchet and chopped away.

I get that you can stop the infection if you're fast enough, but the amputation was above Hershel's knee, meaning Rick has likely hacked through the femoral artery. If they're quick enough to stop the bleeding (I wonder if we're in for a gruesome cauterising scene?), I can see Hershel dying either from the immense loss of blood, or from the shock of the amputation. Don't forget that the guy is in his sixties. Sure, he'll linger for a few episodes, but my bet is that he's not around when Lori has the baby.

You're right, they have been running from a house to house for winter months and it's now spring time. Sorry for being so stubborn. But if you'll review the footage again, and pause in the 42:41 mark, you'll see where he hitting the axe.

No, I think Lenny is correct when referring to months to find the prison. At the end of last season, specifically the last episode, when Rick's group is all standing around after meeting up again, I noticed that the trees around them all have Autumn colors to them. Now fast forward to the premier episode: at least once, but I think that it was mentioned twice that they have been away from the farm over the winter months. I know that Andrea mentioned something to Michonne about that they've been on the run since winter. I recorded the episode on my DVR (in case I couldn't stay awake) so I may have to rewatch it to get that dialog point again.... just to be sure. My wife also noticed that for Lori to show that far along in the pregnancy, it would have to be more like months rather than weeks.

In the comics they go driving around in Dale van for winter months before they find a gated community and think it's all right, we can sit nice and tight here. But before they realise they end up trapped inside the gates with loads of walkers coming out from the houses. And it is after that episode when they find Hershel's farm.

The time that passes between the farm and the prison can be considered days if not weeks in the comic universe, but as I was listening the comics con panel the other night, Kirkman said, "The TV universe isn't the same as the comic universe. So what happened in the comics might not happen in the TV and visa versa."

So it is easier to believe that they had been in the bad place for winter months and now they are rolling in again with everything starting to green again. But what I'm not swallowing easily is the fact that they had the riot gear but yet, they used so little. Why?

I liked the action and how dark Rick is but the boring part for me is this ep was almost a carbon copy of the comics issues it is based on. Understandable it is early,important part of prison arc.

Yeah it was months in the comics and weeks in this ep. It is small change that doesnt really matter other than it makes them look tired of running around from house to house.

Michone actress doesnt disappoint, she fills the hope the TWD fanboy in me had for her :)

So it is easier to believe that they had been in the bad place for winter months and now they are rolling in again with everything starting to green again. But what I'm not swallowing easily is the fact that they had the riot gear but yet, they used so little. Why?

They used the chest plates and at this point based on what they had access too, that's about all they could safely use in the time frame they had. Anything else like the gloves/helmets would have to be thoroughly cleaned of any zombie remnants before actually attempting to use it.

I'm glad that they all seem to have gotten closer over the last little bit. They all function better when there isn't so much doubt and fear. At least they all seem to get that staying in a group and following Rick is the wisest thing they can do given the circumstances.

It looks like we've got another couple or two forming :) First there's Daryl and Carol. The only problem I'm having is that Carol seems to be all over the map on 'what she wants' from someone. In the season 2 finale she was all over Daryl to go off on his own because he could function much better without the group and she was just a burden. Then he flat out asked her what she was looking for and she said she wanted a man of honor. Now the season premiere and she's asking him if he wants to fool around while he's on watch. Can she please just make up her mind? I wonder if they're going to have her character follow some sort of path like she did in the comics? Comic spoiler: I mean, in the comics Sophia survived and she didn't, but she also asked Lori if she could have some sort of a three-way marriage with Lori and Rick.
Then we've got Carl and Beth. At least he has a little crush. I loved Hershel: "Did you find a bed?" and then Carl running out of there so quickly :)

Hopefully Hershel survives, but now we've got the inmates who managed to survive. Knowing what I do from the comics, I'm kind of worried what they're going to do with that...

You're right, they have been running from a house to house for winter months and it's now spring time. Sorry for being so stubborn. But if you'll review the footage again, and pause in the 42:41 mark, you'll see where he hitting the axe.

Ah yes. In the shot where the leg is finally severed, it seems I got the two ends the wrong way round. My bad.

I still believe that Hershel will be very lucky to survive the amputation. The zombie bite won't do him in because they've got the leg off (it's one of those story elements that they can have succeed and fail at will - there's no hard science, or rules, to be able to say one way or the other for sure). However, I can't see a man of his age, even if he's been keeping himself healthy and fit, surviving the shock of such a horrible amputation or the loss of so much blood - sure, the latter depends on how quickly they can stop the stump bleeding, but I don't think it will be soon enough, and Hershel will be dead before the mid-series finale (which is also when I suspect Lori to go into labour).

---

I've Googled around and I know that certain people lose certain appendages and certain points, but that things are happening differently in the series. It's the curse of all adaptations that things have to be changed, but with the comic writer also being the series writer, I'm sure there are good reasons for the differences.

---

I've Googled around and I know that certain people lose certain appendages and certain points, but that things are happening differently in the series. It's the curse of all adaptations that things have to be changed, but with the comic writer also being the series writer, I'm sure there are good reasons for the differences.

I hope they change big things that is actually thrilling, its a weird place for the comics readers like me. Because even at its best its a tamer version if there is nothing new to surprise you. Too much new soap opera might not be good for the non-comics readers who cried at the waste of eps last season.

Connovar, you must remember that we are talking about Mister Kirkman here and how he manages to pull twists... oh man, I'll expect that what we know is nothing on what he got in the sleeve for this season. I also expect to see a lot of angry fans, death threats and the works.

Skipped the posts as it is not airing here until Friday. Cannot wait and will post my comments as soon as I see it.

There is one puzzling fact in this episode and in fact in all three seasons that I cannot get over, and that is the decomposition. Why is it that the corpses doesn't decompose any longer?

There is one puzzling fact in this episode and in fact in all three seasons that I cannot get over, and that is the decomposition. Why is it that the corpses doesn't decompose any longer?

That is a good question. I am not a medical professional, so I may be incorrect here, but haven't we seen various states of decomposition? For example: When Shane was killed and turned into a zombie last season, obviously, he was "fresh", for lack of a better word, and thus, didn't look much different than when he was still alive. Thinking back to this scene, I remember Shane's eyes looking very milky, almost like cataracts had sent in. Other than that detail, Shane still looked his typical grumpy self. In contrast, the zombie that was crawling on the ground from season 1, was very much in a state of decomposition. In fact she didn't have any legs (Remeber her? She was the first zombie Rick encountered after leaving the hospital, before he met Morgan and his son.) If I am off base here with my response, somebody let me know. I don't claim to know everything, in spite of my wife's arguments to the contrary!

Back