Synopsis of ERLOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
SYNOPSIS OF ERLOS (105k Words)

Erlos is a huge and beautiful civilization which inhabits seven orbiting cities above the surface of the planet Elotia, whose inhabitants still plough their fields with oxen. The Erlotian and the Elotian civilizations have little to do with one another. In fact the punishment of 'earthdeath' or banishment to the surface of Elotia, is the worst an Erlotian can receive.

Moody 250 year old Eldrinda Benkilte becomes new ruler of Erlos after his father is killed in a skirmish. But, after a jealous and implacable enemy poisons his wine with the ceisorundra virus of madness, he is forced to abdicate the throne to his sister Auldrius:

“I think I’ll just disappear for a while.”
Auldrius gave her brother a deep look.
“To Elotia,” he explained.
“Six hundred years it’s gone on so far, this war,” she sighed ...

So he becomes a hermit on Elotia, living off roots and berries in the mountains.

While these events are happening around Eldrinda, the son of another king is born upon the surface of Elotia, on the continent of Aazyr. His name is Sorac of Aazyr. They meet and their destinies intertwine. The quest of Sorac runs as a sub-plot through the book.

Eldrinda has by now regained his sanity and realizes it is time for him to return to Erlos, to lead them in a desperate mission through fifth-dimensional space to finally destroy their ancient adversary.

He succeeds, after various symbolic adventures, and so Erlos inherits an empire of a hundred thousand devastated worlds which they must heal.

Now at last Eldrinda can visit the strange blue world that has obsessed him all his life. But the enemy who poisoned him sabotages his atmosphere craft, forcing Eldrinda to use the rebirth chamber, a ‘lifeboat’ device with which all Erlotian atmosphere craft are equipped.

The rebirth chamber will choose, for the doomed occupant of the craft, an unborn embryo of the highest life form on the world where he is going to crash -- in this case the planet earth -- an embryo that would otherwise be stillborn. It chooses for Eldrinda Benkilte the body of Douglas Perry:

… Douglas Perry, was born with a chunk of the back of his brain missing. The back of his skull looked strangely caved in. His breath did not smell good and his eyes were small black pebbles that glittered with intensity. His parents had provided a home for him at a private institution for adults with autistic and other mental difficulties on a farm outside the small dry town of Malmsbury near Cape Town, while he waited for Erlos to rescue him. I was writing an article about the farm for a magazine … Douglas was looking for someone to write his story and so, with all its twists and turns, this always is Douglas Perry's story, written in the form of a novel as he himself tried to present it, rather than as a biography ...

In the meantime Sorac of Aazyr has escaped after 12 years of slavery in Llozd’s brutal emerald mines only to begin a terrible journey across the desert of the Naar, driven mad by sun and thirst, to reach the sacred land of Coreyan.

He returns to Aazyr naked upon a winged white stallion with the weapon of Mycyl in his hand, to battle the weapon of Aba Mainyus and the demented emperor who wields it:

… For seven days and nights the contest continued, and the city rang with the sounds of it, until at last both blades were broken, and the two men had fallen asleep, each one standing where he had fought, leaning one upon the shoulder of the other, each snoring loudly, and each one still holding in his hand the hilt of his shattered weapon ...

On the planet earth, Erlos at last arrives to rescue Eldrinda. The 27 year old body of Douglas Perry dies. Eldrinda is taken back to Erlos to be reborn there as Obekellah -- having now lived in three different bodies. In flashbacks during the story Obekellah returns again to earth from our own future, to help us reshape that future by constructing orbiting cities. But by changing its own past, Erlos can never return to its own 'future', and so we ourselves become Erlos.

The main text of the book ends with Sorac’s grand coronation upon Elotia. There is a final twist when Sorac, exhausted, decides at the last moment to pass the crown of Aazyr to Jac, the hot-tempered thirteen year old son he has never had a chance to get to know:

“It’s heavy,” Jac said.
“Yes. You will have to grow a strong neck,” Sorac said.
He turned and walked out through the huge hall, and all the people there parted to make a way for him. He stood in front the great doors as they opened for him, and then he walked out through them and on into the mountains …

Appendix One: contains detailed information about each of the seven cities of Erlos, their states and rulers and configurations, and explains how they function and their relationship to one another.

Appendix Two: contains all Douglas Perry's original letters, writings and drawings.

Intriguing synopsis. The following is my opinion only, best intentions and all that.

Erlos is a huge and beautiful civilization which inhabits seven orbiting cities above the surface of the planet Elotia.

For a bear with a little brain the similarity of names is not ideal. I needed to re-read a bit to get it. Probably not the best time to be saying this tho...

Moody 250 year old Eldrinda Benkilte becomes new ruler of Erlos after his father is killed in a skirmish. But, after a jealous and implacable enemy poisons his wine with the ceisorundra virus of madness, he is forced to abdicate the throne to his sister Auldrius:

The language is evocative and helps build the case for this story...but the pharmacological/biological detail is not relevant.

So he becomes a hermit on Elotia, living off roots and berries in the mountains.

Seemed a bit abrupt, almost comical. Maybe "retreats from society" or some such.

While these events are happening around Eldrinda

Not necessary. And I also thought Eldrinda was another place beginning with E until I re-read.

They meet and their destinies intertwine. The quest of Sorac runs as a sub-plot through the book.

Vaque, high-level. I think the synopsis should state how the characters are linked...what is the quest.

Eldrinda has by now regained his sanity and realizes it is time for him to return to Erlos, to lead them ...to finally destroy their ancient adversary.

who are "them"? who is their ancient adversary?

various symbolic adventures

vague.

the strange blue world that has obsessed him all his life

is this Elotia...?

terrible journey across the desert of the Naar, driven mad by sun and thirst

A tad cliched?

returns again to earth from our own future, to help us reshape that future by constructing orbiting cities. But by changing its own past, Erlos can never return to its own 'future', and so we ourselves become Erlos

I'm getting a bit lost now. I've been a wee bit lost since Doug Perry. If this is a synopsis, presumably to sell the book, then I think this section needs to call out more of the motivation, the feelings, the drive of the story. It was there earlier, but now seems like more of a list of events. It sounds like there is a good time-travel paradox type thing happening but it is not clear.

The main text of the book

I'd re-write to refer to the story, or the character's pov rather than abstracting it back to it being a book. Grab the reader by the neck and push their face hard into the flowing stream of your story until they can't breathe!

Appendix ...

If it was me I wouldn't even mention the appendices in the synopsis.

Intriguing synopsis...
Thank You. Music to my ears

Seemed a bit abrupt, almost comical...
:p Ah well, I suppose those agents need a chuckle now and then

If it was me I wouldn't even mention the appendices in the synopsis...
You could be right. But they add to the 'gravitas' -- I hope

Thanks a lot, Glen ...

If it was me I wouldn't even mention the appendices in the synopsis...

You could be right. But they add to the 'gravitas' -- I hope

Maybe they do, but for me they're a switch off. If you need two appendices to explain details, you've lost me before I start. I like looking up appendices as an extra. I don't want to have to refer to them to follow the plot.

Maybe they do, but for me they're a switch off. If you need two appendices to explain details, you've lost me before I start. I like looking up appendices as an extra. I don't want to have to refer to them to follow the plot.

No you don't have to refer to them to follow the plot. Not at all. But they're still an important part of the book.

I could leave it off the synopsis, I suppose ...

Last edited:
Glen has saved me a lot of typing, which is nice. The synopsis seems concise enough but I am left wondering what the hook is, how does Elros grow or suffer in this book? I would not mention the appendix, if an agent asks for a read they can worry about that then. You have a good word count going on and I know the writing will be of the highest standard so I wish you the best with it.

How many Spocks do you have, actually, I may not want to know...

Quite a detailed synopsis you have here RJM. This story seems packed full making me think it was a series, rather than a single book.

There is so much going on that I didn't get a sense of the main plot line through the story. Does your story focus on one of these plots more than the rest?

It occurred to me overnight that I could have made an erroneous assumption.

My comments were mostly around being clear on the story - assuming that the synopsis was a sales tool for an agent or publisher. But if the synopsis was for, say, self-publishing on Amazon then you would want to be hinting at the story but not giving it all away.

I too assumed the synopsis was intended for selling to an agent/publisher.

It is. It's a synopsis, not a jacket blurb.

The main plot is the Erlos story, with Eldrinda the main protagonist, but it ties in and runs parallel to what's happening on the planet, Elotia, which sword-and-sorcery type story is cetered around Sorac of Aazyr, and chronicled by someone called Hamish El Tyrone, an ex-governor, now retired.

I don't want to clutter the synopsis with names, so it really just takes the main points of the main plot.

It has to be short.

Thanks for the interest, guys. Very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
The names of the two civilisations Erlotian and the Elotian are far too similar. I seriously suggest that a session of find-and-replace is called for.
I might just buy the idea of a 250-year old ruler of a 7-satellite civilisation, but not if he acquired the throne .... after his father is killed in a skirmish. This kind of old-fashioned active monarchy is obsolete even today.
You have sketched out a load of plot material here, possibly enough to fill a fat fantasy trilogy. By today's standards, 105K is quite short for a fantasy book. Most of them run to several hundred pages, which would be of the order of 250K per volume. [Sword of Shannara, for instance is 664pp for the first volume, say ~300K]
I don't see the point of presenting the story as a novel written by Douglas Perry. It's a common enough literary device [which I encountered last week in "A Scientific Romance"], but I don't see the need to bother with it here.
I wouldn't mention the appendices in the synopsis. If you are approaching an agent or publisher, you could mention in your covering letter that you've gone to the trouble of preparing appendices, without going into overmuch detail.
sacred land rather a cliche
… For seven days and nights the contest continued, and the city rang with the sounds of it, until at last both blades were broken, and the two men had fallen asleep, each one standing where he had fought, leaning one upon the shoulder of the other, each snoring loudly, and each one still holding in his hand the hilt of his shattered weapon ... Nice prose - sounds like the highest of high fantasy.
But by changing its own past, Erlos can never return to its own 'future', and so we ourselves become Erlos. well if you say so...
Note that I'm not saying that your plot ideas are bad. In competent hands, they could form the basis of a fantasy series that would have as much chance as anything else of succeeding. However, if I was an agent, I'd want to see said competence demonstrated in the synopsis. But it fails to do so.

Last edited:
The names of the two civilisations Erlotian and the Elotian are far too similar. I seriously suggest that a session of find-and-replace is called for.

I might just buy the idea of a 250-year old ruler of a 7-satellite civilisation, but not if he acquired the throne .... after his father is killed in a skirmish. This kind of old-fashioned active monarchy is obsolete even today.

Facts are still facts, though?

Thanks for your thoughts Geoff ... I think :)

I don't see the point in suggesting serious plot rewrites, so if anything suggested would require that, I wouldn't do it. Of course, the synopsis can be worded to sidestep any difficult plot issues...

I would cut the italicised text from the story itself and keep with a description of what happens in the book. If they want to read your actual writing (and I'd very much hope they did) they can do so from the sample you've sent in with the synopsis. Similarly, I think the appendixes don't need to be mentioned. As it stands, I think they make it seem a bit "heavy".

I hope it goes well!

I want to say that I havn't read anyone elses comments and have said it as I saw it. I think you have something very interesting and detailed here. I feel its a story that has to be told. Sometimes it is a bit passive and I have explained in parts why, and I think that it could be a story in itself.

Anyway I like it, but I can't help but think there should be more details on Douglas. Maybe this is a trick to get the person reading, to want to know more ;)

Erlos is a huge (Might you be able to find a better word than huge?) and beautiful civilization which inhabits seven orbiting cities above the surface of the planet Elotia, whose inhabitants still plough their fields with oxen. The Erlotian and the Elotian civilizations have little to do with one another. In fact the punishment of 'earthdeath' or banishment to the surface of Elotia, is the worst an Erlotian can receive.

“Six hundred years it’s gone on so far, this war,” she sighed ... (I don't know if I like this bit or not, this bit of dialogue. I can't put my finger on it, but I thought I'd let you know it caused some concern.)

So (For me, things like "so" "In fact" draw me out slightly. Even though there is so much information, there is a story here that you could actually tell us... In the story would you call the king moody?) becomes a hermit on Elotia, living off roots and berries in the mountains. (I would prefer to know his mental state rather what he's eating.)

While these events are happening around Eldrinda, the son of another king is born upon the surface of Elotia, on the continent of Aazyr. His name is Sorac of Aazyr. They meet and their destinies intertwine. The quest of Sorac runs as a sub-plot through the book. (I liked this until the last sentence because its taking you out of the story if that makes sense. I think telling this like a story will want people to read the actual story. Just so you know the synopsis still makes me want to read it.)

Eldrinda has by now regained his sanity and realizes it is time for him to return to Erlos, to lead them in a desperate mission through fifth-dimensional space to finally destroy their ancient adversary.

He succeeds, after various symbolic adventures, and so Erlos inherits an empire of a hundred thousand devastated worlds which they must heal.

Now at last Eldrinda can visit the strange blue world that has obsessed him all his life. (Add this in at the start and here too, or near the start, I feel this would serve to keep the work solid, consistent. If you need to keep word count down, swap it for the dialogue.) But the enemy who poisoned him sabotages his atmosphere craft, forcing Eldrinda to use the rebirth chamber, a ‘lifeboat’ device with which all Erlotian atmosphere craft are equipped. (Could you delete atmosphere entirely, don't see why you have that. Craft sounds more powerful than atmosphere craft.)

The rebirth chamber will choose, for the doomed occupant of the craft, an unborn embryo of the highest life form on the world where he is going to crash -- in this case the planet earth -- an embryo that would otherwise be stillborn. It chooses for Eldrinda Benkilte the body of Douglas Perry:

… Douglas Perry, was born with a chunk of the back of his brain missing. The back of his skull looked strangely caved in. His breath did not smell good and his eyes were small black pebbles that glittered with intensity. His parents had provided a home for him at a private institution for adults with autistic and other mental difficulties on a farm outside the small dry town of Malmsbury near Cape Town, while he waited for Erlos to rescue him. I was writing an article about the farm for a magazine … Douglas was looking for someone to write his story and so, with all its twists and turns, this always is Douglas Perry's story, written in the form of a novel as he himself tried to present it, rather than as a biography ... (Awesome. I really like this bit because it makes you think. It makes you think is it just the story's voice saying this, is it you, is a true story, how can it be a true story with all the information that came before etc.)

In the meantime (Passive, like "in fact" and "so" etc) Sorac of Aazyr has escaped after 12 years of slavery in Llozd’s brutal emerald mines only to begin a terrible journey across the desert of the Naar, driven mad by sun and thirst, to reach the sacred land of Coreyan.

He returns to Aazyr naked upon a winged white stallion with the weapon of Mycyl in his hand, to battle the weapon of Aba Mainyus and the demented emperor who wields it:

… For seven days and nights the contest continued, and the city rang with the sounds of it, until at last both blades were broken, and the two men had fallen asleep, each one standing where he had fought, leaning one upon the shoulder of the other, each snoring loudly, and each one still holding in his hand the hilt of his shattered weapon ... (Don't do this as italics, I don't see how it's needed. It made em think we were going back to douglas.)

On the planet earth, Erlos at last arrives to rescue Eldrinda. The 27 year old body of Douglas Perry dies. Eldrinda is taken back to Erlos to be reborn there as Obekellah -- having now lived in three different bodies. In flashbacks during the story Obekellah returns again to earth from our own future, to help us reshape that future by constructing orbiting cities. But by changing its own past, Erlos can never return to its own 'future', and so we ourselves become Erlos.

The main text of the book ends with Sorac’s grand coronation upon Elotia. There is a final twist when Sorac, exhausted, decides at the last moment to pass the crown of Aazyr to Jac (mention Jac earlier? Adding an actual twist, instead of just saying it's a twist. Like when I said about the blue planet, making your work come together, consistent.), the hot-tempered thirteen year old son he has never had a chance to get to know:

“It’s heavy,” Jac said.
He turned and walked out through the huge hall, and all the people there parted to make a way for him. He stood in front the great doors as they opened for him, and then he walked out through them and on into the mountains …

Appendix One: contains detailed information about each of the seven cities of Erlos, their states and rulers and configurations, and explains how they function and their relationship to one another.

Appendix Two: contains all Douglas Perry's original letters, writings and drawings.
(Appendix Two, atleast for me, sounds more interesting than appendix one)

Hello RJM,

I would like to start by saying I think you story Idea is great! :D I would love to read this once you get it in print. First, I would like to start this critique by saying there is more than one-way to write a synopsis. The following is only an opinion on style. :eek: In addition, as anyone can tell you, different people have different styles.

I think a synopsis is a mini version of your writing style. It gives the object of your submit, a window into what he or she should expect if they take on your novel. (I feel that,) a synopsis does not talk about every single character, and every single plot point in a "and then this happened and then that happened" fashion.

I feel that,(opinion only,) that your story line is good, but should be told in a story-like fashion. In other words, instead of saying this happens then that happens; lay the story out like you read on the cover of a book. A good place to start for a model on how to write a good synopsis is to mimic book cover copy, only also include in the synopsis what happens in the end.

You cover all the major characters and major plot points (including the ending.) and you did an excellent job with that.

But… it needs to make the work come alive. If your synopsis reads like "and then this happened and then this happened" and it's confusing and dull, well, you might want to revise that baby.

You need a hybrid of plot points but with a bigger sense of what makes the book unique and interesting. You want to strike a balance in the synopsis between covering the plot and characters, but also conveying the spirit and tone of the book and smoothing over gaps between the major plot points you describe.

Erlos is a huge and beautiful civilization which inhabits seven orbiting cities above the surface of the planet Elotia, whose inhabitants still plough their fields with oxen. The Erlotian and the Elotian civilizations have little to do with one another. In fact the punishment of 'earthdeath' or banishment to the surface of Elotia, is the worst an Erlotian can receive.

“Six hundred years it’s gone on so far, this war,” she sighed ...

This is choppy. If you want to sell me a story, tell me a story.

“It’s heavy,” Jac said.

If you are giving examples of your writing styles, you may want to use something other than "he said," "she said." In addition, some publishers do not like slanted quotations. The programs they use to publish, use UTF 8 characters, and those "" come out as gibberish.

Again you story Idea is epic and good. I like your ideas.:D

Thanks everyone.

It seems to serve its main purpose in creating some interest in the text.

I mean, an agent will basically just scan the synopsis, to judge if the subject matter fits their area, and to get a basic idea of the writer's ability to put words together. In the end, as long as it persuades the agent to read the first line of text, it's served its purpose.

From there it's the book itself that matters?

Synopsis of ERLOS
by RJM Corbet

I liked the way you set this out. It works well for a working synopsis for the writer to keep himself on track.

If this is written for someone else to peak their interest then you might want to consider reworking a few things.

One thing I noticed is that your whole concept seems to be sprawling out and could encompass more than one novel. If that's the case perhaps you should take time to dissect out which parts are going to be in the first novel. If not then you are right on track, although I would try revising what is here. But that's just me.

What is important is who the final audience is for this piece. If you are working with a team of people who read and help edit your work this would be great for them to keep a focus on where you are heading with the story. If you are looking for someone to be your agent or to publish this would have to be done differently from that.

One thing an agent is looking for is something new although they won't object to something old done with a style or method that is so different that it strikes them as something worth investing in.

In the same token there are some things that you might want to be careful of such as the mention of fifth dimensional travels. This smacks of portal stories and there seems to be some sanction on those just now. Your final audience is again the key here.

What you have written: well you can almost write whatever you want for a synopsis. Just as you might write your novel in whatever way that come to you best. If you want to consider your audience then what you might want to consider here is to focus on one character and their story. Give more of how they feel within the situations that you've described. You don't have to worry about show and tell you can just tell for this. In fact telling is possible a shorter more concise way of setting it out and will work well when presented for review.

Keep in mind that what you have here is all good.

And there may be many who review this who can live with it as it is.

There will always be the narrow minded who want a quick concise breakdown of the main characters motivation and their feeling and reactions and the whole nine yards down to how everything is resolved and how this made them grow or how it points out their inability to every achieve their desired goals. There are some who believe that your characters have to be reflections of real people without all the cliches and purple prose.

Granted none of the things above insure a good novel or success but they seem to be things that a few agents and publishers look at and look for. So they might help make a good synopsis. After that its still up to you to get past that and create the great novel which may end up having little to do with this synopsis.

Status
Not open for further replies.