Very quick capitalisation Q

Coragem

Believer in flawed heroes
I started writing a door stopping wedge of a sci-f
Hi There:

Suppose I had a character nicknamed "the grey tower" (for example). E.g., tall, grey haired, you get the picture …

Would I write it as "the Grey Tower", no capital on the "the"? Or would it be "The Grey Tower"?

My inclination is the former, but just checking.

Thanks!!!

Coragem.

I'd just call him GreyTower, and leave out the the altogether. Are they going to say "the Grey Tower is coming" or "GreyTower is coming"?

If it's an affectionate one: 'Chopper Harris' didn't have a the. The only one I can think of was Derek 'The Doog' Doogan...

Personally, I think a nickname is like a title, and should be capitalized like a book title. Mac the Knife and Jack the Ripper come to mind. In your example: The Grey Tower, as The is capitalized if it is the first work in a book title

I would not put quotations around the nickname (although this was once the norm, I think) unless it was being discussed in dialogue being mocked, or being discussed by us.

Examples:

"That's right. 'The Grey Tower' he says, 'tell him my name is 'The Grey Tower' and he'll know'" (Ooo. Quatations in quotations in quotations! I wonder what the Toolbox has to say about that?)

Darkstarr gloated over the bleeding form slumped on the ground before him. "Ha! 'The Grey Tower' indeed! More like 'The Bleeding Stump!'"

The name 'The Grey Tower' is likely to be shortened to 'Greytower' or 'The Tower' over time and eventually to 'Tower' (unless there are a lot of tall people with the 'Tower' moniker around). Even if a powerful individual insists on being called 'The Grey Tower' to his face, behind his back it will still be shortened, and if he insists on the label, mocked.

Jack the Ripper was called 'The Ripper' and later 'Ripper' on occasion. Everyone still knew who was being referred to.

Note: These are just my (very) uneducated opinions, not necessarlity the rules of conduct.

Note note: Cross posted with Boneman

I agree with Boneman and Grinnel in that GreyTower sounds a bit better than The Grey Tower, if the name is being given to a character. (It'd be perfectly excusable if used as a place name)
When words are used within someone's title or nickname, capitalisation is commonplace, I think. It helps clarify that the name is in fact a name, and won't just be mistaken for description.

Personally, I don't like the two parts of the name, both capitalised, pushed together. 'GreyTower' looks more like a company's** brand name than a person's nom de guerre.

Why not just 'Grey Tower'?

** - Does the company sell discreet shades for tall buildings...? ;)

Personally, I don't like the two parts of the name, both capitalised, pushed together. 'GreyTower' looks more like a company's** brand name than a person's nom de guerre.

Why not just 'Grey Tower'?

** - Does the company sell discreet shades for tall buildings...? ;)

For some reason. "Grey Tower" reminds of me a Native American chieftan name.
Which it probably shouldn't, since I'm sure it wouldn't make any sense. :p

Thanks everyone.

However, the name is decided. It isn't the/The Grey Tower (you know, I like to keep details sketchy until the fame and success hits) but it is something very similar.

Grinnel is correct, it's more of a title than a name, for rare use when other people or the media are talking about him. Or in the odd schizophrenic moment the character may think about his alter ego as the/The Grey Tower. In conversation other characters would just use his run-of-the-mill christian name.

So, as Grinnel suggests, shall I go with The Grey Tower???

Thanks again,

Coragem.

I wouldn't capitalise the 'the'. For an example I'd point to GRRM's Ser Gregor Clegane, otherwise known as 'the Mountain Who Rides'. Don't have the books at hand, but I'm reasonably sure Martin never capitalises the 'the'.

Honestly, I just think it would look odd.

In which case I would make it ''The Grey Tower'' if it is part of the title. I have a character called ''The Abbot" It felt right to capitalise the, The because my character always calls him that when referring to him.

It isn't the/The Grey Tower but it is something very similar.

The Gay Trowel?

(you know, I like to keep details sketchy until the fame and success hits)

Quite right - we might all steal it otherwise.

The rule here is simple and is as set out by others. "The" would only be capitalised if it is part of a proper noun. So, the Third Earl of Cheapside doesn't carry the capitalised "t" because it's not part of the name - "Third Earl of Cheapside" is how it would appear in De Snooty's Peerage.

Regards,

Peter

Can I tag a quick question about capitalisation in here? I hope that's okay Coragem (is your first initial N?;)), and anyone reading this, please keep responding to his question.

Should Sergeant, Colonel and Corporal be capitalised? I can understand it if I say Corporal Smith marched across the yard, but what if I say the Corporal marched across the yard? Should that be the corporal marched across the yard?

I think the easiest way to work is to only capitalise the rank where it's being used as part of a name (or a direct substitute for that name). So:
  • He watched as Corporal Smith marched across the yard.
  • He watched as the corporal marched across the yard.
  • "Get that gun cleaned, Corporal."
(I think the last example is more a matter of choice.)

Last edited: