FROM THE DIARY OF HAMISH EL TYRONE 1.2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJM Corbet

Deus Pascus Corvus
From the Diary of Hamish El Tyrone:

Dust motes dance in the light from the window.

There is no cruelty in the land of the brave. The merciful mirror of prayer echoes back and forth, reflecting everything forever, and even a giant may not know where his own feet will fall. I don’t even think about happiness any more. What is happiness? But I pray great Eloih to help me bind some hope to my heart, or this sadness will kill me.

A good quill has a good nib. The nib matters most. Of course there is more to a fine pen than a good nib alone, but the nib comes first. A fine quill is well balanced in the hand, with a comfortable grip, and of course a good pen looks good: it makes you want to pick it up.

I have several pens but my favourite is an eagle feather, tipped with silver. The nib is smooth and strong and seldom blots, and the tawny eagle feather reminds me always of Aazyr, its intricate pattern of stripes, the camouflage of Aazyr’s endless grasslands. The bottom half of the feather is darker than the top, and it curves comfortably towards my hand, perfectly balanced.

There is a notch in the feather, a flaw. It has survived the ocean crossing from Aazyr to Marana. It is quite a big feather; if I wave it near my face, it makes a wind strong enough to move my hair. It is the best pen I have ever owned. I treasure it. I keep it clean and store it carefully away after using it, and woe betide anyone I should ever catch writing with it.

I see buildings, chimneys. Carriages cross an old stone bridge across the river, which is always peace, always the same. I am learning to adopt the accent of the people of Marana now. This is not an affectation, simply that I am not properly understood unless I do. I stranger must learn to speak the language, and to pronounce it right.

It may be strange that it is this crowded island that has bought me closer to nature than did great Aazyr, where open space and sky and sun are to man like the air he breathes and seldom stops to notice.

Remorse for the past should never be allowed to fester and rot and poison the healthy fabric of the body. That is not its purpose. He cannot be forgiven, who cannot forgive, which means he must forgive himself too. It is the breakdown and the understanding, and the gift of spirit.

Nothing can stop the words. Words give, and words take. The pages of the future become filled with the words of today. But as I write this I think you should allow me a little philosophy. There is enough time to dwell upon the subject, and a diary that is almost eight years old, as I write upon the empty page of yesterday.

I have already given you the words and meditations of the Sabbath communions of the old garden kingdoms of Aazyr, and promised to give you the rest, so now here now are the communions for the second day, which is the first working day of the week. You can skip them if you want to and come back and read them later, but you will know they are kept here.

On the morning of the second day: while meditating upon the hills and fields and valleys of the earth, the people of the garden kingdoms invoked into their bodies the power of the Angel of Earth, with these words: "Angel of Earth, enter my generative organs and regenerate my whole body."

The master’s words: “The power of the Angel of Earth courses in the soil, in the grass, and in all living things that grow from the soil. It is the Angel of Earth that draws from the acorn the mighty oak, and makes the wheat to grow, and from the seed of man creates new life. I tell you that power of the Angel of Earth creates the life also of the spirit within man.”

At noon on the second day: the people called upon the Angel of Peace with the kingdom of the Earthly Mother: “Our Father who art in Heaven, send to all your Angel of Peace; to the kingdom of our Earthly Mother, the Angel of Joy.”

Words of the master, preserved by the monks of Aazyr, which words may not be changed or altered: "Honour and obey the laws of your earthly mother for her breath is your breath, her blood is your blood, her bone your bone, her flesh your flesh, her bowels your bowels; your eyes and your ears are her eyes and ears.

"She is in you, and you in her. Of her were you born, in her you live, and to her shall you return. It is the blood of your earthly mother that falls as rain and fills the rivers; it is her breath that whispers in the leaves and comes down from the mountains as a mighty wind. The flesh of your earthly mother is sweet and firm in the fruits of the trees, her bones are the giant rocks and stones which stand as sentinels of the lost times. He who clings to her laws, to him shall she cling also.

"Before the great flood, the great ones walked the earth, and giant trees were their home and their kingdom. They lived for many hundreds of years. They ate from the table of the earthly mother, and slept in the protection of the heavenly father, and they knew not disease, old age or death. To the sons of men they bequeathed the hidden knowledge of the tree of life which stands in the eternal.

“But the eyes of men were blinded by the promises of satan, and man severed the golden threads that bound him to his earthly mother and to his heavenly father. For man’s visible acting body of flesh is in fact a combination of three other, unseen bodies. Man’s body of will is centred in his acting body. The natural centre of his feeling body is in the heart, and the centre of his thinking body is located at the middle of his forehead.

"The book of nature is a holy scroll where man may read from living pages. The law is written in the grass and in the trees, in the rivers and the mountains, in birds and beasts and fishes, and most of all in man himself.”

On the evening of the second day: while meditating upon the work of bees, the people invoked the angel of Creative Work, with these words: "Angel of Creative Work, descend upon humanity and give abundance to all men."

The master said: “In this most powerful angel of the heavenly father, is the cause of movement, which is life. As you work and move, so will the Angel of Work nurture and ripen the seed of your spirit, that you may see God.”

Last edited:
As ever, RJM, this is well written with some wonderful images and a strong character feel to the section. The religious aspect came across well. As ever again, the only problem I have is the direction of the writing; I’m not left with any clear indication of plot here. What motivation have you given the reader to plough on into your prose, which as nice as it is, it can be dense in places. I can only judge from this section by what you’ve posted, and while the section promises a whole lot, I’m not 100% sure if you get to a point by the end.

As ever, the individual images pack a punch and there will be a whole load of members that will love this writing. I may be the lone voice of dissent here, so remember, these are just my thoughts.

From the Diary of Hamish el Tyrone. by RJM Corbet

Okay:::
This one has me stumped.
What is the point here? I've seen some examples where the writer over explained what they are doing because the work spoke for itself.
IMHO this needs an explanation.

Such as:
Is this a new book to be inserted in the latest holy tome?

I'll grant there are not many diaries that I have read and I understand that a diary format can shield a lot of things.
And,(i love doing that because people hate and at the beginning of a sentence) I'm the first one to defend against the racist attacks on purple prose. But, (score two) if you don't explain this then I would almost have to be the first to suspect we have a whole bunch of purple prose here.

I honestly don't see where this is leading other than to be rambling of the mind of someone focused upon things of highly spiritual context.

This reads more like an instructional letter similar to those written by Paul from prison but once again the format of a diary eludes me.

It's filled with flowery phrases that might be plucked from the bible and reworded to fit onto the page in modern English.

---------------quote-----------------
You can skip them if you want to and come back and read them later, but you will know they are kept here.
--------------end quote----------------
Everything up until this line is great and it even leads up to and almost makes the rest of this forgivable except without some point everything from here down looks all purple. You should get to the point quickly or someones going to think they already read this part of the story.

Don't get me wrong- I actually love everything purple- I just like it interspersed among the bits and pieces that move the plot along.

If he's writing this in a prison maybe we could get some images of sounds and background noises that give us clues wedged between these lines.

If he's in a hut or a tall structure maybe something of that nature to distract him.

If he is divinely inspired he could go from distracted to full focus perhaps showing how each time distracted he is drawn back to the work at hand.

Maybe some clue that we haven't stumbled upon someone who once started is going to continue on with page after page of unceasing unending tale of creation.

After all creation took a short time but the telling of it can be endless.

And lastly, I'm sorry if I totally missed some point with this- this is just how it struck me.

It's nice prose and nothing sticks out as needing editing, except for the first paragraph:

There is no cruelty in the land of the brave. Uh? The merciful mirror of prayer echoes back and forth, reflecting everything forever, almost meaningless and even a giant may not know where his own feet will fall. Meaningless? I don’t even think about happiness any more. What is happiness? But I pray great Eloih to help me bind some hope to my heart, or this sadness will kill me.

I would have liked to have received some context notes. Is it a prologue? An interlude? An appendix?

My main problem is that, nice as it is, it just goes on far too long. A few paragraphs in I was thinking 'what is the point of this already?' A few more paragraphs and I was starting to skim so I could get to the end. I liked best the paragraph about the feather.

If it's a prologue, a couple of paragraphs of this would do.
If it's in the body of the text, hopefully the reader will be primed to want to know what's in this text. And it could be split up and delivered in smaller chunks.
If you want to deliver the creation myth, can it go as an appendix?

I hope this is helpful feedback.

I really liked the para on pens. Sometimes writing should be that way. Just a good description for the sake of a good description, a pleasure for it's own sake, to read or write

Reminds me a little of The Glory of the Empire, by Jean d'Ormemsson.

Thanks everyone.

El Tyrone is an ex-governor now retired, forced to flee Aazyr to the island of Marana, where his notes and reminiscences make up a part of the chronicle that Erlos is. His beloved wife has recently died, leaving him a sad and lonely old man far from the home to which he cannot return. He becomes a monk, eventually.

This excerpt is from the middle of the book somewhere.

Thanks again for your reactions and observations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.